Does anyone else get dizzy and lighted when...

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia and ME & Chronic Fatigue Syndrome' started by Quequay, Jan 8, 2003.

1. Quequay

Quequay New Member

you raise your arms above your head like when you wash your hair or reach for something up high??

It happens to me any time I raise my arms up if I am standing.

I am afraid that I might pass out so I try not to lift my arms up high....

Thanks for any input,
    --Kristen
  2. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Are you on some kind of meds that could be causing this? I get a little lightheaded washing my hair, its long and I have to keep my head down so long to get the shampoo out of it (can't use the shower for the hair washing, that will really make me dizzy and lightheaded!).

I also had it happen when taking St.John's Wort. It did not agree with me.

Also, when I get out of the bed in the morning, I do have to be careful, thats the worst time for me, and if I am over tired in the evening.

You might want to tell your doctor about this, as it could be something else.

Shalom, Shirl
  3. craftycats6

craftycats6 New Member

Hi Kristen
    Yes I also have that same problem .I dont know why or from what.My old Rhem. Dr. told me there was nothing he could do for me so i am going to see a new Dr. on Mon.I was planning to ask about that.I will pass that along if you would like.But remember that what may cause mine and what may cause yours could be different.I would talk to my DR.
    about it if I were you. Hope this helps some .You are not alone.

Your in My Prayers
    Crafty

[This Message was Edited on 01/08/2003]
    [This Message was Edited on 01/08/2003]
  4. Quequay

Quequay New Member

I have a Dr's appt Friday, guess I will add it to the list of questions. Let me know what happens with your visit Crafty, I'm intreseted to see what develops, if it could be the same.

Shirl, I do have to be careful getting out of bed also, I'm lucky that the previous owner of my house had handicapped everything so there are handles and handrails on the stairs and shower. I have used them plenty.

I'll post my Dr appt outcome too.

Thanks,
    Kristen
  5. EllenComstock

EllenComstock New Member

I've had this problem, too. This is the first time anyone here has mentioned it. I used to work in a library and it was a real problem then since I was always looking up and reaching up to put books and videos away. I never passed out, but it certainly felt like I could. I used to try and put things on the shelf as quickly as I could and then look down and put my arms down. Sorry you are having this problem, but nice to know I'm not the only one!

Ellen
  6. Mhammer

Mhammer Member

I have this problem too... What did your doctors say?
  7. stuartkneen

stuartkneen Member

This happens with me too..probably when i am a greater height..this could be vertigo..you should consult a doctor.
  8. IanH

IanH Active Member

The most likely cause is cervical spine stenosis. When you raise your arms vertically pressure is applied to the nerves feeding into C1 and C2 vertebrae at the base of your skull. This increased compression can make you feel dizzy quite quickly. A similar experience is caused by dropping your head onto one shoulder or the other and holding it there.

I would recommend daily neck and shoulder exercises to reduce the problem, although it isn't easy to overcome.