Does anyone else get pills in really small increments?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Saoirse3, Sep 11, 2011.

1. Saoirse3

Saoirse3 Member

My PCP is beginning to get on my one good nerve. My insurance company will only pay for so many pills per month. My BP had increased for a bit and he suggested I double my dose of Diovan for a week. So when I went to refill it, I was told it could not be refilled until the 21st. Great!

Then I told him I was REALLY in pain. He knows my chemical sensitivities, so he gave me Tramedol. But only ten pills and no refills. I went back and told him it took the edge off, but I was still in pain. So he prescribes Indomethacin 25mg, twice a day. And gives me 10 pills!

All I have left is Ibuprofen 800 and I am hesitant to take that because I have liver disease. But it's either that or nothing. The indomethacin works really well, very little pain, but now I am hoarding it, holding on to it because I have so little. I know people who munch Oxycodone like m&ms. So why can't I get an NSAID?

HE likes Lyrica in large doses, like 300mg a day. I was fine on 75mg a day. I don't like the way large doses make me feel, and don't need the weight gain. Lyrica in large doses makes me depressed, and I will NEVER take another anti-depressant.

Basically I stick with vitamins and supplements, but sometimes they just aren't enough. So how do I get him to work with me on this? I'm not a drug addict, but I have bone on bone arthritis and the pain is driving me out of my mind!

Soft hugs,
  2. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I am so sorry for all your pain. Is your arthritis in only one joint or in several? Sometimes, the only relief comes from a joint replacement. I hate surgery but sometimes, it's necessary. If smaller doses of Lyrica works for you, why won't your doc let you take the smaller dose? It might be time to find another doc. In any case, good luck to you.

Love, Mikie
  3. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I just saw your earlier post to which I responded.

Love, Mikie
  4. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

You asked why you can't get an NSAID? Ibuprofen is an NSAID. did you mean why can't you get pain medication?

I've found that when my Dr. changes my dose (or tells me to take more), he has to write a new script. When they write one with a dose change, insurance will cover and pay for early.

Have you asked him why he's giving you 10 pills and no refills? Is he thinking you only need pain relief for a few days or is he wanting you to try it and see how it works?

This requires a sit down talk. Get his take on this and why he's doing what he's doing and then tell him what you need. You hire him.

Good Luck - you deserve some answers/explanations.