Does anyone else get sad going to support group meetings?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by purpleleaves, Aug 26, 2005.

1. purpleleaves

purpleleaves New Member

I've been to a few fibro and chronic pain support groups, and I can't take it. The older people look at me (I look young for my age) and they cry. And then I cry to see their pain and hope lost, and I just can't go back.

A friend was telling me that she has a theory that fibro patients (and CFIDS) are highly sensitive, somewhat psychic or excessively empathetic people. I can see what she means.

I'm passionate, and emotional, and can't watch the local news, and concerned about politics halfway around the world, deeply committed to animal and human welfare, and I get goosebumps about 20 times a day because of things that stir my heart and conscience.

Would anyone else put themselves in this kind of category?
  2. bren45

bren45 New Member

Purpleleaves,
    I don't go to any support groups, but I know how you feel,
    especially about being sensitve, empathetic, etc.
    We're intuitive people. If your interested there's a book by Judith Orloff, M.D. called Positive Energy. It has helped me understand alot about all of these things.
    All the best!
    Brenda
  3. Adl123

Adl123 New Member

Hi,
    I agree with you about temperament. I am much the same as you.

Also, about support groups, I went to one once and it turned out to be another pressure group, with other people telling me what to do and what not to do, without even knowing my situation. One needs to be really careful about support groups.

If this one does not leave you inspired and feelng sronger, I would suggest that you not go any more.

Good luck.
    Terry
  4. purpleleaves

purpleleaves New Member

The first meeting I attended was at the hospital, and it was heart and back-breaking (didn't mention the chairs they put you in!). The second was at a community center where about 7 women showed and again, tears--and a big age difference. The third was at a firehouse, and they had a pharmacist guest speaker, but it was clear that all the guy did was a little google to find out about the disease, and then told us to exercise. What was worse--most people had self-diagnosed and not even tried meds yet, so I felt like I'd been around the racetrack 70 times and they were just starting to question some cluster symptoms. Their meds were aspirin--mine were, to begin with, morphine....and, and, and.

I'm going to look into that book Brenda. And I think I'm going to try for poetry readings, art openings, online support, things going on at the college library. I have too many tears inside for those in chronic pain, but to give them away depletes me.
  5. jake123

jake123 New Member

The wonderful thing about this board is that you get information and positive stuff from people who have tried different meds who are sharing their experiences. They are bolstering up people, trying to get them to get on with their healing - to take the first step. That is so necessary for alot of people.
  6. libra55

libra55 New Member

They can quickly deteriorate into Pity Parties. Also watch out for the ones at the hospitals. They are run by medical personnel who usually don't have a clue about FM or CFS. You cannot vent out in that situation if your own dr. is on staff at that hospital.

I have gone to a nice one a woman holds at her home from time to time. They are very uplifting. But it is over an hour away from me.

Michelle
  7. but they discussed things I already knew, and it seemed they weren't very informed. I was so disappointed and it was depressing. No one was friendly, then they stopped as not many came, hmmm I wonder why.
  8. jess

jess New Member

Hi, add me to this list too. I used to go to support groups every week but I would come home and cry for the rest of the day. I did get a lot of info though especially in the days when Cfids was not aknowledged as a real illness. I guess I am also very sensitive. I love animals and now have a rescue dog. I can't see a movie if an animal is hurt or dies. Yes I am somewhat psychic too. I think you get more support and great info on this board. Jess
  9. Greenbean7

Greenbean7 New Member

Sometimes I can't even come here because I cry just reading the posts! Not good to have mascara running down my face at work!

Tried to go to a support group, but no one was there! The doors were locked and the place was dark. Waited about half an hour and no one showed up so I went home.

I checked the paper and I was there at the right place, right time, and right night so I know it wasn't fibro fog! Guess I didn't need the group!

Hugzz!
    Greenbean
  10. ldbgcoleman

ldbgcoleman New Member

I think it depends on the group and the dynamics of the group. I don't think it is just FM people. I went to a divorce suppoet group 14 years ago and it was the same thing. One woman had been divorced 7 years and was still complaining about the Ex husband and wondering if she could get him back!

I think we go through stages like grieving. I am in a stage of getting mad and seeking help no matter what determined to get better. The mind is pretty powerful and a positive attitude takes you a long way.

Thank goodness you have a support group here! Lynn
  11. Jo29

Jo29 New Member

I have been to a women's Bible study that met once a week. It turned into a whining session also. I went to be uplifted and came home so depressed that it took me the whole week to be able to go back.

Two of us there had Fibro. As a matter of fact I learned a lot about Fibro there from the other lady that had it.

Because I have FM/CFS, it took all I had to get there. So I quit going and didn't miss it at all. I was so frustrated it became counter-productive.

This board is much better for me. I can log on when I want,wear anything I want, and talk to whomever I want. You can't beat that. I love this board and all of the nice people. What more do I need?

Jo