Does anyone else get the "crunchies"

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by ravenpaige, Feb 12, 2007.

1. ravenpaige

ravenpaige New Member

Ok, this came up from Lisa's thread about what it feels like to have fibro, but I realized that I haven't read any posts about this symptom both I and my daughter share...which is very audible "pops" that sometimes happen when we move a joint (usually shoulders, neck or back, but it can be any joint). When my neck or shoulders or neck "cracks" then I will feel better for a while. My daughter says the same. Sometimes, I know my neck needs to "crack" and I will try, sometimes for days, to move my head into the right position so it will crack. When it finally does (usually unexpectedly and with no effort on my part) then that area feels much better.

I don't think this is related to chiropracty; I went to a chiropractor for a while, but I mystified him (he finally told me he didn't know what was going on with me). Another doctor, when I demonstrated my "musical" joints, looked at me like I was from another planet with a look that said "what in the world in wrong with you?"

So I'm wondering: Is this really rare, or fairly common?
  2. melissaz

melissaz New Member

Hi,

I know exactly what you are talking about. My neck does the same thing about once a week, and if anyone is around to hear it, they are really grossed out. I have never been diagnosed as a Fibro patient, but am CFS, but the popping definitely makes me feel better! I think it must relieve some of the stiffness that I carry constantly.
  3. Shalala

Shalala New Member

I pop and crack (neck) A LOT and sometimes in other joint areas. The physical therapist told me not to move my head back and forth until I hear the cracking/popping ... he said it could cause further damage?
  4. Indie86

Indie86 New Member

I get it in my hip and back, and it is definitely a necessary relief. I don't think its limited to CFS and fibro tho...plenty of other people have cracking/popping joints.
  5. chopindog

chopindog New Member

I pop in all of my joints all af the time. You can hear me coming because my ankles pop with every step. My wrists pop by barely sqeezing them. My pelvis and lower back pop over and overjust by simply standing and getting a pen off the table. Also around my sciatica nerve on both sides i get this feeling like my pelvis is popped out of place, so i just put my arm down on the cabinet or any lower smaller space and push down and POP!!! its better for a while.

If lay down on the floor my whole spine will pop from bottom till top, then I simply just lift my head up like a crunch and it pops all the way from top to bottom. My hips also pop constantly without any force.

I admit' most of the time the popping feels good, like its releasing pressure. But at the same time I can't imagine that all of the popping is a sign of good bone and joint health!

I tell and show my doctors these things and they just are baffled and worried. But since I haven't had any insurancr for the last two years, {long story}, the doctors cant run any tests to see why this is happening. And with all ,y other health problems I think this one is the least of my worries.

Well I am going to snap crackle and pop my way to bed. Hopefully there are others out there who haxe some answers to our popping bodies!

Good night' Joy
  6. Forebearance

Forebearance Member

Yes, I get them in every joint, too. And it feels good when they do pop and crack.

I believe they are related to getting over a virus. My mom had a bug and she said her neck was popping and cracking, and she seemed very disconcerted about it. I said, no big deal, I've been doing that for years! lol

I actually try to adjust my supplements (minerals) to make my joints pop as much as possible. I think that when they pop, it is a good sign that means that I am getting enough minerals and am getting better.

Love,
    Forebearance