Does Anyone Else Grind Their Teeth?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by StephieBee, Aug 1, 2006.

1. StephieBee

StephieBee New Member

I do this...and it is horrible. My doc suggests that I go to the dentist to get fitted for a mouth guard.

I do it subconciously, and I dont realize it until my jaw starts hurting.

Does this happen to anyone else? Could it possibly be stress?

Stephanie
  2. SusanEU

SusanEU New Member

Yes, it is very common with fibro.

If you look up TMJ in the search, you'll find lots of posts.

Good Luck
    Sue in Ontario
  3. StephieBee

StephieBee New Member

I never thought that it could be related to TMJ because I have no other signs of it.

I will look that up. Thanks for the advice!
  4. kriket

kriket New Member

can cause you to grind your teeth too.

Kriket
  5. Aeronsmom

Aeronsmom New Member

I wake up every morning with a wicked sore Jaw, I cannot afford a night guard, am I'm sure I grind during the day too.

Ann
  6. kellyann

kellyann New Member

Hi Stephanie,
    I grind my teeth badly. I always have. I wake up with my jaws so sore sometimes. I believe stress makes it worse. My brother does it too. He does it so loud you can hear it all through the house. I do it awfully loud myself. I wake myself up doing it quite often. My family says they wonder how I even have teeth left. Do you ever have nightmares of losing your teeth? I do.

I may have to try one of those mouth guards someday. They do make a brand you can buy at the drug store, I saw one there before. I don't know how comfortable they would be to sleep in. I saw it at CVS drugstore.

Take Care!
    Kellyann
  7. butterfly8

butterfly8 New Member

I grind my teeth at night and have had to have the bottom one built up again because over the years I have ground them down.

I sleep in a mouth guard - I find that it has helped my headaches a bit: I am quite used to it now. How romantic - a mouth guard and a cpap machine!!!!!
  8. petsrme

petsrme Member

i have tmj and find myself all the time clenching my jaw. I have to remind mysefl to relax. I have a tooth that is broken and I think this caused it. I need to go to the dentist. Haven't been in ahwile. I do think stress can cause it. I didn't notice it until a couple of years ago.
  9. Windytalker

Windytalker Member

I have TMJ and also grind my teeth. I think the grinding is a side effect of us fighting our pain and the stress that goes with it. And, we do it subsconciously(sp?). As suggested, try to make a conscious effort to relax your jaw during the day. At night, you have no control.

As for my TMJ...mine was caused by what I call the "open wide" effect at the dental office. I was forced to open my mouth wider during a cleaning and my jaw ached horribly. About 2 weeks after this visit, the TMJ hit...and it ain't fun. Since I've stopped going to dentists, my TMJ has gone away...but it left my teeth out of alignment and they're now crooked and very sensitive.

I'm not sure a mouth guard is the answer. I can't sleep with one in my mouth...I gag. Mainly, I want to say, grinding does not necessarily lead to TMJ. I make every effort to relax my jaw during the day....

10. Empower

Empower New Member

Yes

My naturopath dr told me I have TMJ
  11. masondbb

masondbb New Member

:) Yes I also do this. I keep headaches because of it. I had stopped for a long time, but i've noticed recently that I have started grinding once again. I do blieve some of it is stress related.

Deb
    [This Message was Edited on 08/02/2006]
  12. Lisa1

Lisa1 Member

....but I don't grind. I know I clench when in a lot of pain (which is a lot of the time), but I know I clench at other times, too. Just can't think of why right now.

I'll have to pay more attention during the day to find out why. I know I have to consciously remind myself to unclench throughout the day.

Lisa
  13. StephieBee

StephieBee New Member

I also do clench my teeth too. Its so annoying. I too would gag if I had to wear a night guard, so I dont know if I should even bother. I have heard they have low profile ones, but they can get expensive.
  14. dleaning

dleaning New Member

I grind my teeth HORRIBLY!!! I have worn down my teeth so much. I have gone thru I don't remember how many night guards, I just grind right thru them!! Yes, they have big holes in them!

My DH has had to leave the room to sleep somewhere else many times! My 2 sons also grind their teeth too!

You are not alone!!

Dawn
  15. bossco

bossco New Member

there are now over the counter mouth guards, found in the toothbrush isle, they run 18.00 to 25.00. I have had the dentist made which runs over 100.00. but am happy with the o.v.c. type. Grinding left untreated, can cause serious dental consequences, I lost a tooth, and had to have it pulled. The day after pressure and pain in the jaw, from no night guard, can be so painful. Stress can be a factor that creates the start of this, chronic illness is a big factor. I have reduced my stress, but the illness continues, I have slept with a nightguard for over 5 years. It makes a big difference. good luck
  16. Steviegal

Steviegal Member

I started grinding and clenching my jaw AFTER I developed CFS. Almost every morning I wake up between 4-5 a.m. and I am having some kind of stressful dream, a panic attack of sorts, my jaw and my body are all clenched up. My doctor at Clymer is helping me to find a way to relieve the early morning dreams and accompanying panic attacks. Since my early morning cortisol is high and my daily cortisol is low to non existent he thinks that it a clue to why I'm clenching (as if the anxiety of having CFS isn't enough in and of itself!)