Does anyone else have a short term memory?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by ethel, Dec 22, 2005.

1. ethel

ethel New Member

I only buy for 5 people and I was going nuts today trying to remember if I bought my son something. My daughter stopped over and I asked her if I did and she said I did.

I can remember stuff from long ago but current stuff I can't. I know this isn't fibro fog because I never remember have to ask. I had fibro fog, i've gotten lost and just pulled over in my car and relaxed and I could fixer out what I did wrong.

Does this happen to anyone else? I'm 58 and I know its not because of my age, doctor checked that out.

Connie
  2. getfitat40

getfitat40 New Member

Connie,
    I have a lot of the same issues - forget someone's name the minute I am introduced. Or getting up from my office and walking away, then realizing I don't know why I am walking away from my office. Or getting lost in the city I have lived and worked in for over 20 years. I have been so scattered lately it is scary. So you are not alone!

Maybe someone has good advice for us...I think this holiday season is extremely stessful for everyone.
    Nancy
  3. fibrofirend44

fibrofirend44 New Member

Hi...I am 42 and I cant remember everything all the time. For instance, I am going to physical Therapy for my left shoulder, and the guy has to explain to me every time how to do the rubber band exercises....and sometimes he shows them to me, and in three minutes, I totally forget!! I am so embarrassed...but what can I do?? It comes with the territory of fibro. I am so grateful for STICKY NOTES...Forgetfulness comes with the territory of fibromyalgia. I also have noticed that I can't spell as well as before...does this ever happened to you? I would write something, come back later, and cannot believe that I mispelled so many words. I used to be really good at spelling. It is sometimes very frustrating to accept this reality....but I thank God I am alive and have a great family that supports me in everything.

Hugs from your fibro, forgetful friend.....aq
  4. Greenbean7

Greenbean7 New Member

I'm 51 and have the same problem. Makes me worry because my mom has alheimers (she was wrapping Christmas presents, wrapped 4 for her grand daughters in Virginia and then couldn't remember whose was whose and had to unwrap them all. I had her write the tags first and put them on each one as soon as it was wrapped!).

But anyway, I think I suffer from short term memory loss and I think I suffer from short term memory loss.

Hugzz,
    Greenbean
  5. 1sweetie

1sweetie New Member

This was one of my first symptoms and it has only gotten worse. I was managing a bank and making million dollar loans 2 years ago and now I can barely write a check. I had a neuro-physic test and it shows cognitive dysfunction and that the frontal lobe is not working properly causing Executive Dysfunction. I was a great speller and writer. If it was not for spell check, I would be too embarrassed to send these emails. I have to ask my husband how to spell words when I can't get them close enough for spell check to work. My IQ is plummeting. I have read that people with this disease are mentally equivalent to people 20 years older and that IQ's drop 20 points or more. I know this is true for me. It's so bad that I just bought at timer that I put around my neck and set it to remind me to get the laundry out of the washer or dryer, to remind me that I have something cooking or that I have started bath water. I could go on and on. This part has devastated me. It's like dementia for me. This part alone has destroyed my life let alone the fatigue and pain and all the other symptoms of this DD. I feel sorry for all of us and pray that someone will find something to help up regain a normal or somewhat a normal life.

Susan
  6. dononagin

dononagin New Member

You are really not alone.. I've gotten lost in the car a few times.. pretty scary.

But the short term thing got so bad for me I really thought I was going to lose my job.. I was forgetting words like crazy!

I work for a restauraunt.. I'm trying to sell this big event and I couldn't remember the word for buffet! I'm a professional! This is what I do!! I'm telling the guy.. you know.. where everybody fixes their own plate!!! Jeez!

I've been on Cymbalta for a few months and I really thought I was doing better. Then... I wait in line forever at the DMV to renew my licence and they tell me I had already mailed the check in for it weeks before! I don't remember writing it! I don't remember sending it! I had to look through my check register and there was the carbon.. I hadn't written it in or deducted it from my balance but I sent it.

I still think the Cymbalta is helping some though. I'm remembering names of things better.

My teen daughter uses it I think.. She will say Mom.. remember I told you I was going out tonight?? I won't remember.. I wonder if she really told me or if she has just learned that I can't remember things well enough to know!

(oh.. thanks fightforacure.. if it were not for your response I would have forgot to take my pills! lol!)

Hang tough Connie.. We are all losing it together!!
    Hugs!
    dona
  7. lolee

lolee New Member

I'm sorry what did you say? JUST KIDDING!

My memory is so shot!!! I not only am missing half of life due to memory blocks from PTSD, now I can't even remember if I've paid a bill, called my son, who I've talked to etc, etc. Many a day are filled with finding the p-but butter in the freezer. Found the bottle of dish soap IN the washer, wouldn't that have been a lovely mess to clean up.

I've gotton lost too!! Very scary! I NEVER get anyone's name right the first time, and have what is referred to "word loss" mid sentence, can't remember what word I was going to use!! Maybe it's a side effect from the pain meds, it is VERY frustrating and can be very embarrassing too!

luv,

Lolee
  8. cherokeekid

cherokeekid New Member

Ethel

I can't remember what someone tells me five minutes after they tell me something. I can't comprehend what I read as well. I have to read things over and over again, and again and still I need someone to verbally tell me things.

So you are not alone, I have to constanly write things down or I will forget.

Carla

Happy Holidays.
  9. Dee50

Dee50 New Member

You are so not alone is dealing with this.

Have a great Chirstmas.
    Dee50

P.S. All the presents you can't find now can be birthday gifts.lol Just don't buy food gifts.lol

I think our brains are just full :)
    [This Message was Edited on 12/23/2005]
  10. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

for 25 years. Now I think Alzheimer's is setting in.

Put the milk in the cupboard; couldn't find the bank; went next door to feed the neighbor's cat, but didn't take the cat food; can't remember what cards are played in a bridge game; don't know if I've done something or just thought about doing it.

Once I belonged to MENSA. Now I'm lucky if I can find my keys.

Thank God I've kept my sense of humor and my stunning, good looks!
  11. susiny1

susiny1 New Member

What memory ? I found out don't order on e-bay after taking my meds the cymbolta is great for pain but my memory is gone . short term mostly and some long ago stories people tell me. I write my list on my hand then shop[diane sawyer does it on good morning america. If I wash my hands thats that . I had those test my IQ went down the first test and went down one year later. The DR. said learn how to deal with cognitive disfunction . who ever says fibro doesn't get worse over the years ARE WRONG. GOD BLESS AND USE YOUR PALM OF YOUR HAND AND A PEN TO REMEMBER. SUSI
  12. blkkat

blkkat New Member

i'm 42, 43 new years day and it comes and goes. watching a movie with the family is the worst! plus any of you go to the store, come out and say to yourself, how did i get here! plus its hard when were the ones in charge of the bills! any way i do think its part of this DD. like someone said here try and get some rest, eat well and it should pass for a bit. plus i write every thing down, and always bring a list to the store or to the doc. take care ,i hope things calm down for you!!! HUGS! BLKKAT
  13. Shannonsparkles

Shannonsparkles New Member

Betcha half the time I'll be a day off. 'What, we had Wednesday already? Where was I for that?' There's my memory for ya!
  14. zerped

zerped New Member

In a reply I wrote a few minutes ago, it took me more than a minute to figure out how to spell "suit." I am working on tapering off caffeine and nicotine, and I'm beginning to appreciate how much those things have helped me in the past, both in terms of energy and for mental clarity. At this point, I desire to be smoke-free more than I desire to have some artificial energy boost.
  15. Ladyhurt

Ladyhurt New Member

yes i have alot of hard time trying to remember even going from one room to the other , I have found that if i write things down when i think of them it is easier.
    Ladyhurts Hope this helps