Does anyone else have fever episodes?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by needanap, Aug 23, 2003.

1. needanap

needanap New Member

For the last 8 to 9 years (time with Fibro) I have had "episodes" of fever. From 99 to 100 degrees. It many last a few days or a few weeks. At those times I also have bad Fibro Flares, my main complaint is fatigue. Does anyone else ever have this. My doctor had me keep up with it for several months to see if there was a pattern, there was none. Also Tylenol & Advil do not reduce the fever. I've often wondered if it is really related to Fibro.
    Thanks to all who answer.

Needanap
  2. jadibeler

jadibeler New Member

my computerless cousin, who has CFS. She has fevers all the time. I'm not aware of ever running a fever but I do remember a doctor's appt where the nurse said my temp. was normal - I asked her if she meant 98.6, which she did. My normal temp. is 97. (I could never get sent home from school when I was sick!)

I have read here that people with CFS often have fevers, sore throats and the like. I don't remember seeing anyone with just FM having them, but I could be wrong.

JoAnn
  3. selma

selma New Member

Me too.
  4. PhoenixRising

PhoenixRising New Member

It has become a way of life for me - a person who has always stayed at a norm of about 98.2. If I even got to 98.6 I felt sick. For the past 3 mos I have been running at 99.2 ugh

Phoenix
  5. sumbuni

sumbuni New Member

I don't know if it has to do with cfs or not, but...

for about 6 months now I keep doing the fever & chills thing. My normal is 96.3, and as said before, no one wants to count a 98.0 as fever, but for me it is. I have chills also, constantly freezing or burning up. I also have problem with my internal thermastat...at night i set the a/c on 80 degrees and cover up like it was 30 degrees (blankets and quilts), when I get up, with in 10 min. I'm burning up and cut the a/c to 75...never lower, I just can't take the cold air..(or the above 90 days either!)

Love,
    Sumbuni
  6. BabsFl

BabsFl New Member

I also have this problem..I also have the sore throat about once every week or two...strange
    Barb g
  7. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

A chronic viral, fungal, or bacterial infection. My money would be on a Herpes-family virus which keeps reactivating when you get more run down.

Love, Mikie
  8. pixipip

pixipip New Member

Most of the time I have a low grade fever, meds don't help mine either, just learned to live with it.
    Love & Light,
    Jacqui.

9. Sunshyne1027

Sunshyne1027 New Member

Yes, have intermittant fevers. Lasts sometimes for a day, or a week.. The last time was several weeks. Once I rested, nutrition was better.. It went away. It will most likely be back when run down again.
  10. MJJBunny

MJJBunny New Member

I find that anytime I overdo for several days, I end up with a low grade fever somewhere between 99.3 and 99.6. It knocks me out and I end up in bed until it passes. Years ago it used to last for at least a week, but now it's one or two days. But it takes me a week to get back to normal me.
  11. mymichelina

mymichelina New Member

actually my normal temp is really low..like 96-97...so when my temp is "normal" i am really feeling bad. But as it is considered "normal" noone believes i feel bad....if mine hits over 100...i am on my deathbed!
  12. suexi

suexi New Member

My temp is usually 97.1. 98.8 is huge. 100 plus gives me horrible chills, blurred vision, dizzy, can't stand up hardly,... That's the time I need a new head! Susan
  13. SPR30

SPR30 New Member

I get fevers all the time, even daily.
    I have FMS but rheumatoid arthritis too, so I know if my fevers are caused by one or both of these. Oddly, my temp had run hig alot. Even as a child my temp would be about 99.1, so i could be sent home from school whenever I wanted, hee hee....
  14. BethM

BethM New Member

yesterday I went into work to get files done and to orient my new health assistant. I knew I wasn't feeling great, was having real problems remembering nouns and names, what I call being "noun-phasic". I had had a deep therapeutic massage the day before, which can sometimes do this to me. When I demonstrated how to use the thermometer, my temp was 99.9. Not surprising to me as I could feel the heat in myself, but she was quite startled, and we ended up talking a bit about fibro. She will have to understand it and me so we can work together.

After monitoring my symptoms and correlating them with the low grade fevers, I think that the fevers are my body's way of coping with and trying to heal the overload and damage to the muscles, especially after a deep massage or an increase in physical activity or increased stress or fatigue levels. Seems to be part of the fibro package, at least for me, anyway.

Peace,
    Beth.
  15. michaele

michaele New Member

I have had fevers---low-grade----from about a 98.9 to 100.3 ever since I was DX 2 yrs. ago. They set in usually every afternoon or early evening. Sometimes when I am "over-doing" it, they start earlier in the day. BTW, my "normal" temp is 97.7. My Drs. don't think much of it, but I wonder a lot why this is happening. It's just not normal.
    Michaele
  16. Twain1973

Twain1973 New Member

I have a history of fevers (99.5-100.5) that have lastd for as long as one month. My fevers do not respond to Tylenol or antibotics. All blood work appears normal. Doc chalks it up to some unknown inflamation as he claims fevers are not symptoms of fibro. (At the point that my fever is up, I don't care why it's happening - just want it to stop). My fevers only respond to steroids (Prednisone or Cortisone). Problem is, once I stop the steroid - I end up with a more servere flare. I have horrible fatigue and muscle/joint aches that go along with the fevers.

If anyone knows of any other ways to decrease fevers, please let me know.

Thanks!
    Amy
  17. JP

JP New Member

I have been having low grade fevers for about 10 years now (I'm 43). My normal temp is 96-97 range. I feel feverish at 99 and my fevers are usually just under 100. I have FMS and a strongly positive ANA. Who knows what causes them. Mine come and go too. I might go two or three weeks without one and then, out of the blue, fevers again. I have decided that I don't want to know what else I may have, in addition to what I already know. I feel pretty confident that my current medications are as good as it gets. I hope your fevers pass and you begin to feel better.

Take care,
    Jan
  18. catgal

catgal New Member

Good topic. I'm 54 and have had FM/CFS since my teens. Low blood pressure is normal for me and so is a body temp of 96-97. I also have asthma/allergies, osteoarthritis, psoriatic arthritis, rheumatoid arthritis, IBS, and advanced degenerative disc disease.

I constantly run a low grade fever which makes me feel unwell. Then, when I go to work or do anything physical--I spike a fairly high fever until I sit back down and rest.

My body temp regulator has always been out of whack. I get chills, then feel like I'm burning up--hot & sweaty, my forehead feels like lead, and it hurts to hold my head up.

Sometimes my feet will be like ice, and my hands will be red hot.

And nothing works on the fevers--I've taken everything including 10mg percocet--and it doesn't phase it. The only thing that seems to help to lay down, rest, and do nothing. Like most of you, if my temp is 98.6--I have a fever, but it is "normal" in the medical community.

It was good to read all the responses--makes me feel like I'm not crazy. Thanks for the topic, Carol....