Does anyone else have M.E.

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Aeronsmom, Mar 4, 2006.

1. Aeronsmom

Aeronsmom New Member

I have been looking for a Dr that specaializes in M.E.
    (myalgic encephalomyelitis) I can't go to my GP because she has a very bad attitude lately...kinda like I am bothering her with my illness, so I don't dare ask her for a reference. I would really like to know if I do have this disease. Thanks for any help.
    Ann
  2. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

many of us here have M.E. although it is known as CFIDS, or CFS too.

You'll find loads of info here.

love
    Rosie
  3. Aeronsmom

Aeronsmom New Member

But I heard you have to get a dx from a specailist that deals with M.E.
    Ann
  4. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

I see you live in Canada, what a beautiful photo.

The Canadian guidelines are amongst the best in the world, it is now against the law for any medical practitioner in Canada to tell anyone with CFS (M.E.)that it is all in their heads. This is a fact!!!!

The site for the guidelines is: www.mefmaction.net

Your GP has no right to act like that and you do need a diagnosis but it is your GP who should refer you for tests. There is no diagnostic test for CFS / ME, usually you are tested so that other possible things like lupus, MS, rheumotoid arthritis etc can be disregarded.

Can you post again with the title like 'CFS - Canadians' because there are many Canadians here who might not read this post because you titled it 'M.E.' and usually only people from UK read that. CFS used to be known as M.E. here.

I'm in UK and dont know a lot about Canada apart from the guidelines and you really should have a look at them.

love
    Rosie
    [This Message was Edited on 03/04/2006]
  5. Smiffy

Smiffy Member

Yes, I have M.E. too. You need to change your doctor urgently & find one that's supportive.

A major British M.E. charity has found a close link between M.E. becoming severe (mine did 19 years ago & fibro started, so the advice comes from the heart) & the unsupportive attitude of the patient's doctor.
  6. springrose22

springrose22 New Member

Yes, the Canadian guidelines are very good, published in 2003 I believe. A group of Dr.'s led by one from B.C. They were my bible when I first got sick. Marie