does anyone else have trouble riding in a car

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by kimkane, Aug 2, 2003.

1. kimkane

kimkane New Member

just as a passenger is very hard for me at times. it is like to much for my brain to handle. i have to look at the floor. if my hunny shifts to fast i cring. thanks kim
  2. PatPalmer

PatPalmer New Member

When at her worst time into this illness (well, she was sofa-ridden then) but when she could go out briefly, her senses were so acute, that it was almost unbearable.
    Had to wear shades too...

Pat.
  3. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

We are sensitive to movement, noise, odors, light, and touch. I take Klonopin to help with this as well as a host of other symptoms. It is caused by misfiring neurons in the brain.

Love, Mikie
  4. beckster

beckster New Member

this board, or like a google search? Can you give a sentence or two what a person can do about it (to test if have a serotonin deficiency or how to increase your levels of serotonin?). Have you found some satisfactory treatment for yourself? Thanks in advance.
  5. klutzo

klutzo New Member

I was even diagnosed with Post Traumatic Stress Disorder due to this, since my fibro started with a serious car accident!
    Benadryl helps me a lot, and any time I must ride more than 30 mins. I take it 20 mins. before leaving the house.
    Klutzo
  6. AnnG

AnnG New Member

My siblings would be excited about an upcoming car trip and I would just want to cry. I can not ride in the back seat and used to do much better if I could be the one driving. Now, I prefer that my son drive so I can try and ignore some of the stimuli. My startle reflex is also on overdrive all of a sudden. If any car pulls out or stops, I jump. This totally pisses off my kids. They take it as a slam against their driving skills!
  7. azcactuslil

azcactuslil New Member

I have always had problems with motion sickness. Now all the sensory things can be overwhelming to me at times. What bothers me most about riding in cars for very long is that my legs start to spasm. I just get these uncontrolable twitchs and shooting pains. Not fun!
  8. nina

nina New Member

Definite sensory overload. Only now I actually will be guaranteed to faint on a car ride that is LESS than 5 minutes long. I am glad you posted this topic!
    nina
  9. Mar19

Mar19 New Member

I don't get motion sickness or sensory overload, what happens to me is that my pain levels get out of control when I'm in the car. If the ride is more than about 10 minutes I'm in agony for the next week. We recently bought a new car with a much smoother ride (it was time anyhow), helps some, but long rides still bring tears to my eyes. I always take pain meds before I get in (providing I'm the passenger), but I still have a lot of pain. I've become a "house potato". LOL
    Love and blessings
    Mar
  10. rigby

rigby New Member

It hurts to ride in car I can't go on trips and my daughter and husband both say I should not have lisence as I have started driving awful I just go slow or I could not keep appt with doctor try to just stay in town Rigby
  11. trasestry

trasestry New Member

Hi, I just couldnt believe it when I saw, that fm suffers, have problems riding in cars too. I recently started with this and didnt know "what my problem" was. We travel up to Maine at least once, maybe twice a year. I never had problems. Now, I have noticed I feel quite ill, just going for a drive 10 miles away. Tracy
  12. Momskelleygirl

Momskelleygirl New Member

I also must sit in the front seat even goingto the store, thank goodness my 78 year old my is still able t get in and out of the back seat. It helps that they just got a new van withback seat goors on boh sides, so it makes it easier on her.
    Fpr long trips, (since I have to take my 11 year old to Calif. at leasrt once a year too see his dad,and Idon't drive) I just make sure I have plenty of clonzapem, and mucle relaxer and take them every 4-6 hours. Also, I keep two jars of pain killers with me, (One of the milder ones, One of the stronger ones) and if need be I take the one which I feel is appropriate for the pain. I also take a lot of sofr pillows, to kind of cuhion any bumpy sore spots.
    Hope this will help.
    Kelley
  13. Nikki

Nikki Member

Especially when someone else is driving (mostly my husband). I don't have motion sickness, but I am so uncomfortable w/every turn he makes and I have such a "startle reflex" which makes it even more uncomfortable. I do much better when I do the driving myself, simply because I know what turns and stops I will be making. However, I'm not so keen on doing the actual driving on extended trips anymore, and in the past I've always tried to do my share (at least 1/2 or 1/3 of the driving).................sharon