Does anyone else have weight-bearing pain in their back???

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Bunchy, Apr 3, 2009.

1. Bunchy

Bunchy New Member

Hi all,

I don't know how else to describe this but for years now, and it is only getting worse over time, one of my most disabling symptoms is weight bearing pain in my back (especially just below the bottom of the rib cage where your back curves inwards).

It basically happens either when I am standing or walking or when I am sitting on anything other than a foam recliner or bed.

I'll be OK for a few minutes then gradually it starts to hurt until it is unbearable.

If I don't recline or lie down, the pain will get to screaming and/or blacking out point (by this time I will also start to feel "strangled" inside) and also the muscles and nerves affected don't "heal" for upto a week afterwards.

I know this is probably not very easy to understand but wonder if anyone else has this and what they do for it. The only thing that helps lengthen the amount of time I can sit or stand is Klonopin but not by much.

Love Bunchy x
  2. Bunchy

Bunchy New Member

I know the board is slow on the weekend but this is something I feel so alone with - can ANYONE out there relate even a little???

Love Bunchy x
  3. monica33flowers

monica33flowers New Member

It seems this past year I have been having so much lower back pain. The only thing that helps me is if I lie down for half an hour while watching TV. Then it is bearable for only about a half hour. I have also tried ice but that doesn't seem to do much for the pain.

I did just receive lidocaine patches from my pain dr. and I've got one on my lower back and also on my neck (nerve pain really bad in my neck). The pain dr. wouldn't up my dosage of the Vicodin and that doesn't seem to help with it anyways. I really hope this patch helps because I don't get much done when I am up for 30 minutes and down for 30 minutes.

When I do lay down it has to be in bed with pillows propped up supporting my neck. I know it sounds weird but even just sitting or laying on the couch makes it worse.
  4. outofstep

outofstep Member

Sitting with a heating pad up against my back always helps me. The stickon heat patches also work well-I don't know if you can get them but they are non-prescription and heat up when you open the package, then you just stick them on where it hurts. Hope you find something that works for you.
  5. shari1677

shari1677 New Member

I have weight-bearing pain in my lower back, either on the right or the left, but never both at the same time.

I am, however, "obese", and I hate using that term, but, I am what I am - and I attribute the back pain to that as most of my weight is in my abdomen.

I know of nothing other then sitting down.
  6. skeptik2

skeptik2 Member

What you describes sounds to me like costochondritis; weight bearing upright activity makes mine start up and only my lounge chair and heating pad help it. The pain patches should help too.

It is caused by inflammation of the cartilege of the rib cage, and can be in front under your breastbone or even all around the entire rib cage.

I have found that even one aspirin can help it immensely.

Hope you find something to help you.

INITAHUG New Member

Hi bunchy,
    I have the same problem as you, and when it starts in there is no stopping it. It starts in my lower back, in my love handles, and it feels like iam being squeezed to death, and if I dont go and sit down, or lie flat out, it feels like i'm not going to be able to breathe.

What I do is, I have this lotion that I have formulated for me by my pharmacy. I was sent to them by my doctor, and I just filled out a " decribe your pain for us" sheet, and the compounded a formula just for me

Mine has amitriptyline HCL, baclofen, gabapentin, ketamine HCL, and piroxicam in a lipodrem base.

I just smear it on like lotion, and I use it all over, not just for my back I dont know what I would do without it. the reason I got it is I can't take muscle relaxers, I have a lot of tremmors and for some reason muscle relaxers makes them worse.

This lotion has been a life saver for me, if I know I have to go some where Ill just smear it on and let it work its magic, and it will usually last 4-6 hours,and it helps alot with the pain, not just the spasam. The best part is only like 2% of the drugs get into your system, and the rest stays in your tissues in your muscles, where you need it the most, and they told me the more you use it, it will build up and work better for you.

I hope this info will help you, because I know just what your talkin about, and this is what helped me out
    Good luck
  8. Bunchy

Bunchy New Member

Your pain sounds like mine.

I live in the UK and pharmacies don't do things like that over here sadly.

I have tried heating pads, muscle relaxers etc but nothing helps this except to stop standing or sitting on the hard chair.

If I have done too much standing or sitting, the only thing that will remove the residual pain and stiffness (and nerve pain??) is Klonopin.

I wonder what is going on here - it doesn't feel anything like costochondritis (which I have further up in my ribs occasionally) and I am not overweight at all.

It's almost like the muscles are being squeezed out of Oxygen and also that the nerves there react wrongly to pressure.....hmmmmm :s

Love Bunchy x

9. sgood242

sgood242 New Member

Same thing happens to me! Both sides, and come to think of it, laying down does help a bit. Recling doesn't help. Is there a thread on meds for pain that help?

I've never heard of patches for the skin.

10. ilovepink4

ilovepink4 Member

I call it fire pain...i have it in the middle of my back and my lower rt side....the middle back pain starts burning and spreads down to my rt side ribs and i feel like my ribs are digging into me on my side...and it hurts to breathe......

this happens when i get out of bed for a few minutes...standing and sitting on hard surfaces is the worst...also, i a starting to have tailbone pain when i sit it upholstered chairs along with hard chairs....???similiar to when i had babies 19 years ago!

my lower back has bothered me was the start of the fibro....then,i had a car accident with a side to side impact and from that day on my middle back hasn't been the same...
  11. TeaBisqit

TeaBisqit Member

I've never been able to stand and wash dishes without getting severe cramping in my lower back. I even had it tonight when I was cooking. I couldn't stand there. The lower back muscles just burn and cramp up and lately I've been getting some kind of cramping and burning in my thigh muscles as well. That's a new one.