does anyone else itch?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by joysarah, Nov 25, 2002.

1. joysarah

joysarah New Member

I am new to this message board, I really get alot of help reading the info.I have a question. I have just been diagnosed with this DD and I have been having hives and severe itching for months I mean they go every where my neck, hands,head,face and trunk. I have read that this is one of the things that go along with the fibro.I am on zyrtec and atarax for the itching. I just wondered if any one has this problem. I really hate the bumbs on my face. they just recently started up. maybe some one could give me some advice about that also. any help will be appreciated. thanks alot
    Joy
  2. joysarah

joysarah New Member

I am new to this message board, I really get alot of help reading the info.I have a question. I have just been diagnosed with this DD and I have been having hives and severe itching for months I mean they go every where my neck, hands,head,face and trunk. I have read that this is one of the things that go along with the fibro.I am on zyrtec and atarax for the itching. I just wondered if any one has this problem. I really hate the bumbs on my face. they just recently started up. maybe some one could give me some advice about that also. any help will be appreciated. thanks alot
    Joy
  3. 1Writer

1Writer New Member

I'm new to the site, too and I have CFS and itching problems, too...my face has Rosasea and I have to use a Rx gel for it...hasn't started to work yet...takes about 3-4 weeks and has only been 1 1/2. The rest of my body itches from time to time, but I have extremely dry skin (I also have Thyroid Disease, so that could be the cause). I just moisturize as much as I can...don't take really hot showers, as that aggravates itching and I take Benedryl at night and it seems to help, too. Is the Atarax helping? If not, tell your doctor...maybe something else will.
    Hope you feel better soon...
    #1Writer
  4. pam_d

pam_d New Member

Welcome to the board! I don't get the hives, but I do get the terribly itchy skin, all over---and for some reason, I go through periods where my breasts itch a lot!! This itching is definitely made worse by heat---the other day, I ached so much I wanted to take a whirlpool bath, but the jets make the itching so much worse, I didn't. I think the zyrtec & atarax are good choices for itching (my daughter used to get severe hives w/dyed food and the only sure thing that helped was atarax; made her sleepy though)

Good luck, Joy, I hope you find something that helps you be more comfortable...and glad to have you here!

hugs,
    Pam
  5. EllenComstock

EllenComstock New Member

Hi, Joy:

Welcome to the message board. Yes, I itch a lot, too. Sometimes to the point of bleeding, so I have to be careful. The worse areas are my back (between the shoulder blades) and my private area (hope it's okay to say that here). For the private area, I have a cream to help soothe the itching. The back itching is worse in the winter-I guess the dry air makes it worse. The other is bad year 'round.

Ellen
  6. Fibrolady37

Fibrolady37 New Member

Hi Joy,
    Sorry to hear youre suffering so much my heart goes out to you honeybun.
    I also get terrible itching & it drives me crazy its so uncomfortable.
    I have a little flaky patch on my left arm & once it starts
    i sometimes gently bite the area in the hope it will stop.
    I am itching now on my back & my head itches alot.
    I always hope it goes away but am going to have to see my doctor at some point.
    I put moisturiser on my skin & it usually calms it right down,works for me hope it helps.
    Good luck sharon d(UK)
  7. kellym

kellym New Member

I itch all the time and take allegra daily and either atarax or benadryl for when its really bad. I also had chronic hives until the daily allegra. Glad to know so many others understand & thanks to the others for the good advice on bath additives!
  8. LauraLea

LauraLea New Member

I get it on my back. I start itcying at night and wake up with scab all over my back. I wonder how on earth I reach some places, but I do. I usually get it when there's a change of weather? I have not tried the bath with the soothing herbs yet, I'm going to try the vitamin E.

You are not alone.

Try the home rememdies, if not see a doctor.
    Big hugs
  9. kadywill

kadywill New Member

I was diagnosed in 1974 with chronic angioedema and hives with severe urticaria.....it means I itch a lot and break out in hives and swell around my eyes, mouth and throat. Not good.
    Love,
    Kady
  10. pepper

pepper New Member

Welcome to the board, Joy. I itch all the time everywhere. I wake up in the morning to find blood from scratching in my sleep. I try not to scratch when I am awake if I can possible keep from doing it because it seems to aggravate it.

The itch even wakes me up during the night. Most of the time it is worse than the pain! Even my eyeballs and the insides of my ears itch.

I think that some of it may be from allergies. I think the itch I have all the time is from my liver. It is really bad. That is one reason why I don't take anything for it - drugs are so hard on the liver and I already take too many!

The Aveeno bath someone already suggested is really helpful. Aside from that, I am living with it but some days I feel like I will go insane with the itch!

I hope you can get yours under control. Good luck. Pepper