Does anyone else lose interest in a project?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Dainty45, Mar 10, 2009.

1. Dainty45

Dainty45 New Member

I have started a couple of different projects, however I get bored, or I just lose interest before I finish it. I seem to be all gung ho about it, and then all of a sudden I lose interest. Does anyone else experience anything similar?

Thank you in advance.

SB
  2. gapsych

gapsych New Member

I do the same thing. It is like I can not get invested, that is the closest way I can describe it, in things I am even excited to do.

I procrastinate which I have always tended to do but it is much worse with this DD probably because of the tiredness. I might start something when I am feeling better but then stop when I am not. Then it seems to take twice the energy to start again.

I have several projects right now that are unfinished.

I don't quite know if this is a response from this DD, psychological or possibly both.

I am going to see my Psychiatrist this Friday, however if you go to a Psychiatrist they are likely, not always, see it as a mental problems. Not that my psychiatrist has not helped me.
    He does understand this DD.

I also see my PCP next week and want to get her take on this. I am now seeing her to take care of my FM/CFS/ME as she is very knowledgeable about these DD's and has a lot of patients with it. My rheumatologist was not quite as open minded.

I hope others report their experiences and what seems to cause it or make it worse.

gap
    [This Message was Edited on 03/10/2009]
  3. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

Actually one of my personality traits is to get really excited about things, new ideas etc. - to the point where I'll do research, have it all worked out on paper, almost obsess about it -then it dies.
    I know that in the last 6-8 months I have definitely lacked motivation in everything. THAT has come with Fibro and how I've been feeling emotionally. This has all started to take it's toll on me - big time.
    If I didn't have to leave the house (to go to work), I'd be perfectly content to just sit here. I'd probably end up madder than hell at myself one day for wasting my life away, but I just don't feel like doing anything.

I have a painting started from the summer - still unfinished in the garage. Tons of unfinished projects that I've initiated around the house. It's just a darn good thing I didn't put a few stripes of paint on a wall, then quit.

So....yes. =)

Janalynn
  4. MarlaB

MarlaB New Member

My life story...Now that I'm older its like the switch was shut off on projects needing finished..Well any way I just start another till the switch is flipped off...I learned to live with it...But I always have things to do, ...
  5. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

Many of us are ADHD and don't know it. I was always this way but was dx when I was about 40 with ADHD. Medication helps me so much.

It might be worth it to look up the symptoms and see if anything rings a bell for you.

Hugs,

Nancy
  6. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

I don't have much interest in anything anymore. I see it as a combination of old age and lack
    of energy.

Rock
  7. justdifferent

justdifferent New Member

I think the kicker when you have a fluctuating disease is that you may have to drop a project when you have a flare - and then it can be difficult to restart because you have so many other things that need doing that were also postponed.

Over time this builds up and you end up with a lot of half-finished projects! I have so many hobbies, and with kids, work, house, and fatigue, I cannot possibly do all of them. Very frustrating!

Perfectionism also can cause people to not finish a project they aren't happy with, or don't think they'll get right.
  8. Rafiki

Rafiki New Member

I have an ever longer list of projects I would love to complete. Before ME I completed projects with the usual awful angst experienced by everyone.

Now, I do not have the energy to take things beyond the ureka stage but I would if I could and I've never been a perfectionist.

I do have dreadful cognitive issues with everything from doing dishes to saving the world from the peak oil crisis but before ME I could do my bit to save the world :eek:)

Peace out,
    rafiki
  9. alangan1

alangan1 New Member

DISCIPLINE MY FRIEND. WHEN YOU SEE SOMETHING ON YOUR LIST, DECIDE YOU ARE GOING TO DO IT. EACH DAY TACKLE SOMETHING, EVEN IF JUST FOR A FEW MINUTES. IF YOU WAIT TO FEEL BETTER, YOU WILL BE WAITING A LONG TIME. I AM A PROJECT FREAK. KNIT, SEW, PAINT, DECORATE, PETS, GARDEN ETC. OFTEN I WAY OVER EXTEND MYSELF, THINKING ONLY ABOUT THINGS FOR MONTHS AT A TIME. MY MOTTO IS, IF IT IS ON MY LIST IT WILL GET DONE. THE TRICK IS, YOU GET YOURSELF TO START, AND BY GOLLY, LOTS OF TIMES YOU WILL BE SO GLAD YOU DID, YOU WILL ACTUALLY START TO FEEL BETTER. IT IS TAKING THE FIRST STEP, THATS THE HARD PART , AND AS THEY SAY "JUST DO IT". KEEP YOUR PROJECTS AND GOALS REASONABLE AND DOABLE, IF NOT CROSS THEM OFF THE LIST.SOME DAYS I WILL GET SO MUCH DONE, JUST BECAUSE I STARTED. I THINK AT THE END OF A DAY LIKE THAT, THAT IF YOU HAD TOLD THE DAY BEFORE THAT I WAS GOING TO HAVE TO DO ALL THAT I WOULDNT HAVENT BEEN TOO ENTHUSIASTIC, SO JUST START, ITS THERAPY REALLY FOR YOU.
  10. ironspine

ironspine New Member

I have always been artistic-floral design, painting, home interiors, blah blah...Then I was hit with Fibro. I am stuck at home with housework, so my desire to "play" is always there. I start things and then lose interest. This is sooo unlike me. I always work hard at things, but now I have multiple tasks started and I forget where I left off on all of them.
    The worst one and funniest is that I started wallpapering my kitchen this past November. The wallpaper is a black/cream check. Cool. Anyway, I got all the way around my kitchen and the stupid checks don't match at the end! I said to my husband "F** it-you finish it!" So he stuck a piece up there that doesn't match at all and it's lopsided. So it's been like this for 2 months and I need to fix it but I look at it and say maybe tomorrow. It'll be 6 months since I started and it's not done yet. Maybe now that I'm talking about it I'll do it TODAY!!!!!
    Hey thanks for this, now I feel like finishing it!
    Good luck to you all with your undone stuff!
    D.
  11. Juloo

Juloo Member

I can recommend for anyone in your situation this book by Barbara Sher: Refuse to Choose!: A Revolutionary Program for Doing Everything That You Love. At the very least, you'll get a good pep talk about accepting yourself and your own way of doing things, and at the most, an outline for making your own way work for you instead of against you.

Look it up!

It's on my nightstand right now!
    [This Message was Edited on 03/24/2009]
  12. Jayna

Jayna New Member

Starting even one new project is now an ultimate act of faith that I'll finish. And there's always the stress and worry of 'will I crap out on this one too?'

It's bad enough that I've had to learn to do my little bit of housework in ten-minute segments, so my whole space is never clean at the same time. I used to love the feeling of being FINISHED... that little (or big) moment of supreme satisfaction at a job completed. I miss that feeling.

I've gotten so I pretty much hate to start anything new, or even to talk about starting a project, because the whole family just rolls their eyes. They know, and I know, that after I've assembed the tools and got the first mess made, I will be too tired, or life will get in the way, or something, and the stuff will hang around getting in everybody's way for years to come.