Does anyone else out there get leg cramps?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by rahdiga, Jul 13, 2006.

1. rahdiga

rahdiga New Member

Has anyone experienced severe leg cramps with Fibro or RA diagnosis?

I have been getting really bad charlie horses from the knee cap down usually happens at night after I stretch my legs while sleeping. They hurt so bad, I get up and try to walk it out but as soon as I lay back down they go right back into it.

Just want to see if I am alone in this? And to see if anyone has any ideas on how to ease them?

[This Message was Edited on 07/13/2006]
  2. Ranigar

Ranigar Member

but not much anymore.They would wake me out of a sound sleep screaming and jumping out of bed.A neurosurgeon I was getting a 2 nd opinion from at the time suggested I take a Benadryl at bedtime.It worked.I had found on my own that taking magnesium helped alot.Hope you find relief but still I would see a Dr. because I found out I had sensory neuropathy with nerve damage in my legs.You'll need an EMG test to find out.This was at the start of all my symptoms so don't wait to long. Good luck.
  3. SPR30

SPR30 New Member

Buy calcium,magnesium,zinc supplement. It is inexpensive, it is one tablet with all 3 listed suplements (they work best together, calcium needs mag to be absorbed,etc..). I am going to start takng it again to see if it will help leg cramps.
    It is also good for your bowels, it can really help IBS-C.

Benadryl or any antihistamines before bedtime can increase restless leg in some people, it does me....
    many of your over the counter sleep meds,like tylenol pm contain nothing more than antihistamine for the "sleep" agent. It (anithistamines) can also dry your nose out and cause sores in the nose.
    [This Message was Edited on 07/13/2006]
  4. StephieBee

StephieBee New Member

I once heard that if you get frequent Charlie Horse's (which I do) that it means you have low potassium I believe. Im almost sure of it but dont trust the fibro fog!

Take Care,
    Stephanie
  5. catmom50

catmom50 New Member

Leg cramps can be low potassium, and dehydration. I have also heard now that magnesium helps also.

Especially in the warm weather, you need to drink lots of water during the day.

A doctor told my DH and I years ago to take a potassium tablet in the evening, and it has helped since. Now when DH works outside cutting wood etc on a hot day,if he doesn't drink enough H2O he will likely get leg cramps that evening.
  6. rahdiga

rahdiga New Member

Thanks for the advice!

I called the Dr. today and he said the same thing. Told me to take Tums as a calcuim supplement and eat some bananas to see if that helps. I will try anything at this point.

Thanks again.
  7. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

calf cramps...hurt like the dickens...

potassium pills they are cheap....orange juice, milk is high in potassium...i should go drink some now...

jodie
  8. LouiseK

LouiseK New Member

Magnesium, bananas and sometimes I ice the calf when it happens which doesn't sound like it's relaxing the muscle, and it's probably not, but it stops the pain and I think maybe the cramping cycle. First try to rub it out.

Those cramps are so bad they can make you fear going to sleep! Consistency with taking the magnesium is important too.
  9. LouiseK

LouiseK New Member

Magnesium, bananas and sometimes I ice the calf when it happens which doesn't sound like it's relaxing the muscle, and it's probably not, but it stops the pain and I think maybe the cramping cycle. First try to rub it out.

Those cramps are so bad they can make you fear going to sleep! Consistency with taking the magnesium is important too.