Does anyone else sleep like you're in a coma?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by alaska3355, Oct 9, 2005.

1. alaska3355

alaska3355 New Member

That's how my son has slept for the past year, since he came down with CFIDS. He sleeps so soundly that we would have to drag him out if the house was on fire- he wouldn't wake up. He usually sleeps like this for 10-11 hours, then wakes up, still tired. His brain fog is lessening lately, though, which gives me hope. Any thoughts?
  2. Dee50

Dee50 New Member

Alaska3355.
    Yes I do :)
    Sleeping for 20 to 22 hours a day up to go to bathroom and back down for 4 to 5 months at a time about 10 times in my life.
    Does your son have acute EBV? I do that is why I'm asking.
    I'm sorry you are dealing with this as I know how painful in is for all of you.
    With this last flare I sleeped 22 a day for 5 months and now I'm up 12 and down 12 on good days. When I first started being able to get up my pain level was at a 10+. It was the pain that got me up, I think.
    Take care and have hope he will wake up even if its the pain that gets him going again. For me the pain was a life saver.
    Dee50
  3. alaska3355

alaska3355 New Member

My son doesn't have any pain, thank goodness- just nausea occa-
    sionally and a lot of fatigue. He has had EBV in his blood tests, but it seems to be inactive now. I think he is slowly pulling out of it on his own...we are going to do the amalgam removal this month (all 9 of his fillings!) to get his mercury level down. Plus he's on a special diet (no fun for an 18 yr. old!) but he wants to get better.
    I hope your day is going well...take care! Terri
  4. alaska3355

alaska3355 New Member

I'm your neighbor- we live in Washington! Terri
  5. kbak

kbak Member

I wish I could sleep like I was in a coma!! I find it very interesting that so many people with CFS can sleep that well. I have just the opposite problem. Even tho I'm tired all the time, I have a terrble time sleeping at nite. I have done better on neurontin, but if I don't take it, I sleep only a few hrs. at nite.

I guess I have kind of a spastic brain that over stimulates. I can be drop dead exhausted, but not get any decent sleep. I see that other CFS people are at the other end of the spectrum, and sleep to much. I purposely don't nap during the day, even tho I feel like it, so that I can sleep at nite.
  6. fairydust39

fairydust39 New Member

I don't sleep unless I take something to knock me out. OH How I wish that I could sleep like that---just once per month !!!!!!!!!
    Shirley
  7. windblade

windblade Active Member

That's exactly how I would explain to people my cfs --
    that I was sleeping so heavily and long - like nothing I
    had ever experienced- just like being in a coma.
    It was very much like what Dee described.

One good thing is that the immune system heals during sleep.

As my health improved my sleeping became more towards the
    normal.

8. Dee50

Dee50 New Member

Alaska,
    That is interesting that your sons EBV is inactive and he is still down. Wish I could get my EBV inactive.
    If you don't mind sharing what special diet is he on? And what is the doctors reason for it?
    I pulled all my teeth 3 years ago (22 at one time) because of all the filling and it did help me (mainly with my sinus stuff) I was not sick at the time I had them pulled. I felt better the next day and my top sinus drained for about 2 months, what a blessing.
    My daughter is acting like she has CFS and she is 20 and has never had mono. I'm thinking maybe I can help her with a special diet while she is young.
    I'm so glad your son is getting better:)
    Take care
    Dee50
  9. bozey

bozey New Member

sleep sound, like in a coma. I sometimes have trouble falling asleep but after I do, I hear nothing. When my husbands alarm goes off, I don't hear it. He goes down and takes his shower and comes into the bedroom and flips the light on, I'm still in a coma. It isn't until he actually wakes me up that my eyes open.

I still get up every morning at 5:45 to make his lunch and thermos. I won't say I am wide awake because I've been known to leave sugar out of his coffee. Or even put tea in his thermos instead of coffee. Or forget to put a pack of cigs in his lunch.

But, I have always almost sit straight up in bed when anyone but my husband steps inside my bedroom. To me, that is really weird.

I usually get 8 hours sleep a night during the week. But on the weekend, I sleep in and usually sleep 11 hours. I'm sure my sleeping drives my husband crazy, he can only sleep 5 hours a night. But, wakes up refreshed!!

I stay tired all day but don't take a nap because it makes me feel worse and then I can't fall asleep at bedtime.

I sure feel sorry for your son to have this exhausted feeling at such a young age. I wish I could offer some advice but I am right now going through the same thing. If I find something that works, I will definately let you know. It is the pits.

Hugs
    bozey

10. alaska3355

alaska3355 New Member

My son had blood tests for food allergies, given by a nutritional MD. He came up allergic to beef, all dairy, baker's yeast, and corn. We eliminated all of those for 3 weeks, then began trying one suspect food for a day, then wait 3 days to see if there is a reaction. So far he has done well with a little beef, corn and dairy, but I think yeast continues to be a problem. I think he will avoid those foods until Christmas, when 3 months are up.

I don't know it you can find a nutritional doc in Idaho (I've heard that it's hard to get help in Idaho....sorry!) but our doc is in Connell, WA. Not too far from you maybe. He also did hair analysis for heavy metals, which doesn't reveal the mer-
    cury level, but in a urinalysis, he tested high for mercury. So we're also replacing his amalgams this month. I'm hoping it makes a big difference in his ability to concentrate and overall energy...guess it didn't help you in the energy department. But he's only 18, so we're hoping he'll get better.

Take care! Terri
  11. Dee50

Dee50 New Member

Thanks Terri,
    For answering all my questions. Yes if eating pototoes doesn't heal ya you are in trouble in Idaho.lol But... new doctors are coming to town. I'm sure your son will be well soon. Thanks again Terri

Bozey,
    Don't feel to weird as I sit up in bed like you too. I think its because of my kids and all their needs over the years. I know that my husband can care for himself but...the kids need me. My kids are 16 and 20 now and I still sit up in bed then they enter my room at any time even when I'm in a deep deep sleep I always have.
    Dee50