Does Anyone Else Startle Easily?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by mme_curie68, Apr 3, 2006.

1. mme_curie68

mme_curie68 New Member

The past few weeks, I've been on the road commuting back and forth to work. My ride is generally about 55-min. each way (but in the opposite direction of all the traffic going into Boston).

I've noticed that I over-react to things - for example if a car ahead of me suddenly changes lanes, or if there's some garbage on the road it literally makes me jump and the adrenaline starts such that I can feel it.

I don't remember being like this before FM. Just wondering if anyone else experiences the same thing??!

Hugs,
    Madame Curie
  2. mamaeagle0103

mamaeagle0103 New Member

I was giving a friend a ride home from one of my AA meetings at night, on a road that I travel very frequently, and thought I saw a change in the road. I freaked out and hit the breaks and was so embarassed when I realized that there was nothing, what so ever, wrong with the road. This was right before my DX when I still did not know what was causing these strange things. My friend was so wonderful, he said "I saw it, too!! It did look a little different than usual!!" just too funny. This is now one of the few I can really trust with my condition. He has really seen me in full blown flares even befor DX and knows I am not just "imagining" things.
  3. EllenComstock

EllenComstock New Member

Yes, I definitely startle easily. My husband and co-workers often startle me, but not intentionally, of course. I have read that this is part of FMS. I am guessing it's because we are so sensitive to everything-lights, sounds, smells-it's like we are always on "overdrive".

Ellen
  4. jbennett2

jbennett2 New Member

It drives me crazy. Somehow I even manage to startle myself - like when I know a noise is coming, like closing a door, I still jump sky high. My dh thinks I'm nervous, but that is not it. It's just the DD
  5. mamaeagle0103

mamaeagle0103 New Member

I am sorry, I just keep thinking of all the jumpies I have had through the years...My husband used to think it was because I didn't want to be touched by him, that was kind of sad for him, but we have just gotten used to it over the years. Now that we know what it is, there are no more hurt feelings when I flench at the touch of my husbands hand. I am trying to be more upbeat today, in a bad flare and had a scary day yesterday and just do not want to be so negative. So, I am laughing at one of my lovely quirks for a change!!
  6. RENA0909

RENA0909 New Member

I suffer from this too!Any noise at all makes my adrenaline kick in.

It can make me sweat and I get all panicky in a minute even if I just drop a teaspoon or something as boring lol!
    I still cannot get used to it even though I know it is not going to harm me.
    At least we know it is this DD and nothing more.

Rena
  7. millennia

millennia New Member

My whole family now tries to make noise before coming into a room, just so I don't scream when I see them! They used to say, "I live here, you know", but now they're just used to it. It drives me crazy and since I also have mitral valve prolapse, it takes forever for my heart rate to go down!
  8. Fudge43

Fudge43 New Member

You know that cartoon cat that that jumps to the ceiling stuck there by her claws ... yup ... that is me ! sigh !
  9. MamaDove

MamaDove New Member

I am scared of this part of the DD's thinking one day it will give me a heart attack...

I used to blame it on my hubby and furry son (both have epilepsy) and I am always on my guard cause of it, but son has been gone for almost a year and still I am a nervejob...

Just like the others said...Things in the road, knock on the door, even phone ringing makes me "JUMP" out of myself...

Is there anything these illnesses don't effect???

It seems just when we think we have a symptom all to ourselves (thinking we are absolutely going batty) someone else comes along suffering with the same...

I agree it's because we are so darn sensitive to EVERYthing!

Great post and as usual glad to see I am not alone...

Should we all be on Valium? I have been considering this, again to avoid something worse happening to me, like dropping to the floor from fright...Doc just recommended me BUSPAR but I declined it after posting on here...I just need something to calm me down on a regular basis...

Any suggestions? Can't even have a drink due to IBD, so that's not an option and I chose to quit smoking 13 years ago, so that's out too...What's left???
  10. Manwithfibro

Manwithfibro New Member

If a car backfires, I leap 20 feet. Even the smallest of sounds can make me jump.
  11. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

a little creeking sound in the ceiling or t.v.

and if someone comes up behind me if i am let'say standing int he kitchen doing cooking or dishes...and just says hi! i jump through the ceinglin and the heart starts racing...

jodie
  12. Crispangel66

Crispangel66 New Member

My Son can make a noise in his sleep and I will jump. Or if I just hear someone walk up behind me, or if I don't hear someone walk up behind me then they touch me or say something I will jump.

Pamela
  13. tammy21

tammy21 New Member

smallest things that make me jump. that is really interesting to see other people have that to, I thought I was the only one. thanks for sharing that with us.

Take care
    Tammy
  14. Kayzee

Kayzee New Member

I also startle easily now. When hubby enters the room and I don't see him I jump and my heart races. Fibro???
  15. Andrea4

Andrea4 New Member

i cant sit for 55 min...you are brave....

yes i startle easily too...my dh gets mad and yells at me and calls me over sensitive.
  16. Beadlady

Beadlady Member

I can hear & know someone is nearby & still jump out of my skin when they talk to me or come into the room.

Happens at work & home.

Used to be just once in a while, but about 9 years ago my purse was stolen (got it back) and the guy came up from behind me & grabbed it. Hmm, I just thought of something--I wonder if that incident is a contributing factor in my left shoulder & arm & hand hurting more than the right side--as the guy really yanked on my purse strap in getting it. I know it made my TMJ worse because I started screaming and got a lot of attention from the neighbors & my jaw locked opened for a few minutes.

It was interesting trying to explain to the people who came running what had happened & barley be able to talk.
  17. LittleBluestem

LittleBluestem New Member

I also startle easily and I have CFS, not FM. I have been blaming it on an up-regulated autonomic nervous system, which I thought was unique to CFS. Do people with FM also get that? If so, Xanax might help.
  18. amymb74

amymb74 New Member

if my phone rings is the most common.
    I was watching Primetime tonight (Thurs) and they talked about something called Long QT Syndrome - its when peoples adrenaline kicks in for things like this (the girl they referred to on the show died when her alarm clock went off) Really interesting stuff if anyone wants to read up on it. Symptoms are usually a racing heart and fainting spells. AMY
    I should mention I'm not implying this is at all related to any of us, the show just reminded me of this post - not trying to scare anyone! [This Message was Edited on 04/06/2006]
  19. Lolalee

Lolalee New Member

I am always on edge and if someone walks up behind me without making a sound, and I turn around and find them standing there, I jump and scream. The other day, it was so funny. My husband startled me, unintentionally of course, I started to let out a scream but no sound came out. It felt like I swallowed the scream and then I got the hiccups. I couldn't stop laughing.

I've heard of scaring someone to stop their hiccups, but I had never before heard of scaring someone and giving them the hiccups. Well, I laughed so hard, that I had an embarrassing moment.

I am having less and less control of my bladder these days...so yep, you guessed it!!! I wet my pants.

I can't believe I'm telling you guys this, but maybe I'm not the only one with this problem.

Lolalee
  20. kriket

kriket New Member

I just cringe when I hear most any sound. Noise, even little ones really startle me.