Does anyone else suffer from sunshine

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by lilaclover30, Feb 16, 2006.

1. lilaclover30

lilaclover30 New Member

i can't imagine why i suffer so much from the sunshine. I never go outside on a sunny day without my sunglasses but I still feel lousy. Today is cloudy and rainy. No one else cares for it except for me.

Is is Rxs or FMS?

My eyes are so bad also. i squint even with the dark glasses. Reading very much and this computer are SO hard on me but I do it anyway. i don't read much except 2 daily papers and an occsional magazine.

Any ideas?

Love and gentle hugs

Joan
  2. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

who was badly affected the same way. Kept all the drapes drawn. She had FM too.

Love Anne C
  3. backporchrags

backporchrags New Member

the sun without my hat and glasses. I get horrid headaches.
    Have you seen an eye doctor about the problem?
    My eye doctor told me that because of my light colored eyes I am more prone to night blindness and sun sensetivity. Light seems to spectrum in my vison and everything gets cloudy.
    I find a large brimmed hat and dark sun glasses that wrap around help me in the sun.
    Hugs,
    A
  4. Sheila1366

Sheila1366 New Member

I like to work outdoors in my gardens alot.This past summer before my fm got so bad ,I was got in the yard alot doing alot of work.

I would get sick and feel so bad for a few days after being outside.Sometimes I get very sick and can't get out of bed.

I love cloudy stormy days and nights.Mainly because I just like having candles lite and the nice glow is so soothing.

Plus when I am very stressed and depressed the sun light over stimulates me.

My husband kids about me being a vampire.

SOme days I just want to rooms dark.We call it"Making it night time".

Sheila
  5. jarjar

jarjar New Member

I'm not trying to push the marshal protocol but most people on this board find they do better on the MP and stay out of the sunlight. To much to cover so you might want to go to the marshal protocol web site and see if it is for you. Just a suggestion.
  6. mariee

mariee Member

Heat and sunlight use to make my nerves burn. Coldn't stand the sunlight coming through the car window.
    Not so bad anymore.
    I hope this eases for you, too, over time.
    Mariee
  7. GwenGlo

GwenGlo New Member

I've had this for many years and seldom mention it to anyone because of the reaction I usually get.
    When there is a stretch of one sunny day after another I actually experience depression setting in.
    My best days are rainy, dark and cloudy days.
    No, I won't be moving to Arizona anytime soon.
    I also have 2 rooms in my house done in dark wallpaper and guess what?
    Those are the rooms where I spend the most time.
    It feels good to know that I'm not alone in this.

Blessings...Gwen
  8. rockyjs

rockyjs Member

I have a genetic condition called porphyria that causes sun sensitivity. Some in my family actually get blisters on their skin (doctors used to call it sun poisoning) and others of us get flu symptoms that can last for days. It's usually accompanied by abdominal pain.

My type of porphyria (HCP) also causes peripheral neuropathy and chemical sensitivities. It's worth checking out if you have any of those symptoms.

Jan
  9. Lolalee

Lolalee New Member

When it is sunny I have to wear a hat and sunglasses and I can still only be out for a short time.

I have to keep the blinds semi-closed when it is too sunny. Bright lights indoors also affect me. I don't turn on the lights until it is almost dark out.

I get headaches and my eyes hurt.

I love this board. You all make me realize that I am not alone with this weird symptoms.
  10. sarahann61

sarahann61 New Member

I have had allergic reactions to the sun, starting about 25 yrs. ago. But it was staying out all day, swimming and skiing... Went to ER twice, but that was before you could buy benadryl, otc.....

Now ,I do not stay out long, but will turn beet red, warm to touch, and have ran a fever. I really cannot take the bright lights, have a horrible HA, and feel nauseated. I wear shades most of the time, and sure regret it when I don't....

As a young girl, I practically lived at the city pool, and it never bothered me. I really didn't blister but the first few times, then I would just get tan.. I have mostly always lived in, West Texas, and it does get hot. I will never get use to it , though....
  11. ilovecats94

ilovecats94 New Member

I don't want to get more freckles or wrinkes so I try to avoid the sun even though I look like a ghost. lol

I'd like to be able to tolerate it, but I do try to avoid it like a vampire would. rofl

Hugs,
    Faye
    I'll need to get into the sun to get my new glasses to start to darken as I got the photogray type of glass lenses.
  12. Banka8

Banka8 New Member

Check out the Marshall Protocol website. The reason for sun sensitivity is there. I couldn't stand to be in the sun or have the sun on my skin. My skin felt like it was on fire and I would feel weak and dizzy. I used to wear my sunglasses all the time. I didn't know the reason for this until the Marshall Protocol came along and everything fell into place.

I've been on the full Marshall Protocol now for six months and my symptoms are slowly resolving. I don't have any pain in my feet and knee. My gums stopped bleeding. The lymph nodes under my chin are getting smaller. I'm sleeping better and I don't feel dizzy anymore and my heart palpatations have stopped and my heart rate is slower now. The Marshall Protocol takes time and it can be a bumpy road in the beginning but I feel it is working.

By the way we use special sunglasses on the Marshall Protocol that block uv, uvb and infrared light. I do not suffer from depression because I'm not in the sunlight. I am in a good mood.

Take care Joan and I hope you feel better soon.

Judy
  13. angelkisses6

angelkisses6 New Member

Sickshine is more like it i get very bad migrains and real sick at my stomach when ive been out in the sun,its funny because i used to love going to the beach and laying out and summer cool, now? i cant stand it i get so sick for at least a couple of days when i have been out for too long,for me is about a half hour. Take care,marieann
  14. kdeenak

kdeenak New Member

I hate the sunshine too. I thought it was just me. It makes my eyes and neck hurt and just feel yucky all over. I love rainy and cloudy days, those are my favorite. I like for it to be dark inside too.
  15. lilaclover30

lilaclover30 New Member

I am so glad that I am not alone! Our family room has a big north window. I would love to cover it up. I have often thought too I should be a vampire!!

i hate florescent lights! They make me feel just as bad as sun. Our choir room has them as does our fellowship hall and I don't like them. Sometimes i wear my prescription sunglasses in our big grocery store.

It is enow 5;22 and i can feel the joh of darkness coming on.

Thannks for the responses.

Gentle Hugs

joan
  16. lilaclover30

lilaclover30 New Member

Bump for thosee who love darkness!!!!
  17. nan2dance

nan2dance New Member

Hi Joan! I used to be terribly photosensitive. I was told it was common for CFS patients so I didn't get scared. For my birthday my family bought me some prescriptions sunglasses and for another birthday they bought me a hat with a huge brim! All I can say is it is one of those weird symptoms that just went away as I got better.

At one point my thyroid went hypo and I had to take meds for it - I forget the name - standard hypothyroid med. Anyway, that made me even MORE photosensitive - and I couldn't take heat at all. The thyroid went back to normal eventually. But if you're on any meds you might check to see if that's a factor. Some do make you more sensitive to heat and light. Just a nice thing to know.

If it is of any encouragement at all. When it did get better I couldn't get enough sun - or heat. Maybe more important than getting sunshine is simply getting out of the house. I was bedridden but my Mom would pack me into a car and off we'd go sunglasses and hat in place. Rainy, dark days too. Just to breath fresh air and feel how much larger the world is than my unhappy little bedroom! A few minutes of remembering the world was totally worth the discomfort of the light.

Reading is still hard for me since CFS/FM. But I don't remember the light ever being the issue. More like the words do flip-flops and the lines get tangled. It is getting better with practice. Or, I should say, hard work. I'm determined to get this back.

Anyway, take heart that this is a common symptom and it does seem to get better with time. Meanwhile, doublecheck your meds.

~nan2dance
  18. JimCoyote1942

JimCoyote1942 New Member

Besides Fibro I have reverse seasonal affective disorder. I do fine in the winter and suffer badly in the summer. I live in Texas where the summers last five months and the light is strong. When you throw in all the heat, I am miserable for half the year. I have furnished my bedroom so there is little light, and I keep my venetian blinds shut all over the house. Nobody understands this including many of the professionals.
  19. lmmillion

lmmillion New Member

I am not a summer person. The heat makes me cranky and my antidepressant makes me sweat way more than I ever did. I feel my best and am actually in a way better mood the gloomier the weather is. When it's dark and overcast or even raining, I love it. Everyone else around me complains about the weather, and I, on the other hand, am loving it. I had my worst flare-up ever right in the middle of summer. I was miserable and could barely move. However, I've felt much better during these past few months of winter. I guess that I have reverse Seasonal Affective Disorder.
  20. LupusCat51

LupusCat51 New Member

I always knew that the sun was bad for me. I got headaches, rashes, hives etc; however, as a teenager I worshipped the sun. Now that I have FM and Lupus I can't go out in the sun at all. When I ride in a car on a sunny day I have to put sunscreen on and try to cover up because of the rash I experience. It also wipes me out, fatigue, joint and muscle pain and headaches. UGH!

My husband thinks I just don't want to walk when he takes the dog out for a walk, but, I really just can't stand the weather. My body doesn't regulate my body temperature very well. If I get chilled, I break out in hives, if I get too hot and get headaches. Horrible!

Anyway, you're not alone. The sun is a necessary evil for all of us. We need it to reset our inner clocks; but, too much causes us such misery.