Does anyone else wake up in the night with crippleing jaw pain?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by hurts2003, Sep 18, 2005.

1. hurts2003

hurts2003 New Member

Hi all,

It's 5:00 AM and I've been up since 3:30 with a pain that feels like it is pulling my right jawbone out of my face. I can be prefectly fine until I lay down and then it hits me (well it woke me up tonight). I know I don't have the best teeth but I don't think this has anything to do with a toothache. The whole side of my head from my eye to my neck and behind my ear hurts like mad.

I'm thinking about doing a clinical trial on Cymbalta in a few weeks when I get the OK from my primary MD and get weineed off the meds I'm already on. They told me I couldn't take anymore pain meds while on the study. I had no choice tonight, after 4 Ibuprophen, a sinus tablet that usually puts me out, and rubbing Aspercreme all over my face (that's a new one, I was desperate and willing to try anything for relief); I had to break down and take my last half of Lortab that I had. It will be a few weeks before I go in for the trials anyway so it will be out of my system before I do the drug test. My husband is concerned that I will never make 58 weeks of the trials without taking any pain meds at all. I don't take them very often anyway (maybe 1/2 to 1 every week or 2).

Sorry about babbling on like this just trying to keep my mind off the pain till the meds kick in.

Does anyone else get these awful pains at night? What do you do for them?
  2. chp1298

chp1298 New Member

I also have crippling jaw pain that awaken sin the middle of the night and no amt of meds gets me back to sleep. II have tried muscle relaxers, celebrex and vicodin , heating pads, ice and nothing helps when it is bad. I have receied several steroid injections in my mouth but they only last 3-4 weeks. I starting trigger point therpay last week and I am trying to be optimistic but I think it may be helping.
  3. phoebe1

phoebe1 New Member

Do you grind your teeth? It sounds like it might be tmj, if I were you I'd go see my dentist.
    I wear a mouth guard at night, in the morning when I wake up my jaw is so sore and stiff I can hardly open my mouth.

Phoebe
  4. EllenComstock

EllenComstock New Member

aches, but not the type of pain you are describing. While it probably is FMS or grinding your teeth at night that is causing the pain, you might get this checked out. Pain in the jaw can be a symptom of heart problems.

I grind my teeth at night. For me, the pain was worst in my ear. I went to an ear, nose, and throat doctor and he suggested that I see my dentist. A tooth guard at night took care of this problem.

Ellen
  5. ldbgcoleman

ldbgcoleman New Member

Does it ever click?? You probably do have TMJ and it is very treatable. No need to suffer! Looks like you have a consensus here! Good Luck- Lynn
  6. tcluna

tcluna New Member

TMJ whichis basically caused by grinding your teeth which is caused bruxism. it really messes your life up. Its a gabergic dysfuntion.
  7. dafoefan

dafoefan New Member

I am taking cymbalta. I am not in a clincial trial. It is on my insurance's formulary. I take it with my neurontin, flexeril, klonopin, robaxin, and vicodin.

My psychriatist put me on it last month, tapering me off Effexor XR. She doesn't specialize in fibro or pain management, and didn't hesitate to give it to me.

Have you tried klonopin? It helps me sleep. I don't have TMJ but it helps with restless leg and really is helpful for sleep.

I would recommend asking why you can't just get a prescription directly without the trial. I'm under the impression that the trials are over. If you do a search on Cymbalta, you will see the results that it works better for women than men, and talks about the percentage of individuals who were helped by it.

Good luck!