Does anyone else wonder about their blood?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by lurkernomore, Jul 12, 2006.

1. lurkernomore

lurkernomore New Member

Okay, this may sound a bit crazy, but then it is coming from me, LOL! I am beginning to wonder if my blood is too thick or something.

The reason I ask is because I am diabetic and have to stick myself a few times a day to test. My blood does not want to come out!

Yesterday I had to go have labs done and the lab tech took four vials and it took forever to get the job done. She mentioned something about "sticky blood" but did not elaborate. And another thing, I am not complaining, just an observation but I never bruise.

It doesn't matter how hard a hit I take or how many times I bump myself (not purpously, of course) I have rarely ever had a bruise. Is this normal and am I making a mountain out of a molehill? I just wondered because I have read that some folks with fibro and CFS have blood issues and was wondering if this sounds normal to you all.
  2. lurkernomore

lurkernomore New Member

I will definitely give that a try. I keep remembering how young my mother was when she had three TIA's and I guess that is what has me even thinking about all this.
  3. fmfranklin

fmfranklin New Member

Please explain what a TIA is? I am not aware of this. Thanks
  4. sorekitty

sorekitty New Member

bruise so easily? I just had my bloodwork done and my platlet count is fine. I got a large nasty bruise just from massaging a tender point on my knee last week!! I always ask the doctors and no one seems to know. I will ask my new doctor next time and let you all know if I do get an answer!

5. lurkernomore

lurkernomore New Member

I am sorry, it is very late here and my brain has shut down for the night, but in layman's terms, they are called mini-strokes. I think the medical term is something like Trans Ischemic Accident or close. I am sure that is not exactly correct but hopefully we will have a nurse on board come along and correct that for me.
  6. shootingstar

shootingstar New Member

or there may be a correlation of some kind between the two. I have a cousin who has both and he mentioned that the two often went together. This isn't a definitive source of information, but you might look into that.
  7. lurkernomore

lurkernomore New Member

I will definitely check out the correlation between the two. I tried to test this morning and had to poke myself four times before anything came out at all! I am beginning to think I am too ornery to even bleed right, ha ha!
  8. lurkernomore

lurkernomore New Member

I only responded and thanked shootingstar when many more have replied to me with thoughts and suggestions. Thanks to you all for taking the time and energy to give me your input.

I will definitely increase my water intake and see if that doesn't make a difference in the way my blood will come out. Thanks to you all and my apologies for having been so rude!
  9. lurkernomore

lurkernomore New Member

I honestly don't have any ideas for you. My aunt, who is insulin dependent, bruises like that too. So does my friend. Are you insulin dependent or on oral medication? I wonder if that makes a difference?
  10. MtnDews

MtnDews New Member

Perhaps you have clotting disorders? I know I do, but it took years and a couple of 'ischemic events' and some persistance on my part to get the clotting panel done. Protime is the amount of time it takes your blood to clot. Be careful about grapeseed and herbs, ask your doctor before taking them espeically being diabetic. They can cause problems and react with medications. We have enough problems as it is without adding others!
    H
  11. lurkernomore

lurkernomore New Member

I have wondered about a clotting disorder. A lady on a forum I go to has this and has a stroke as well as a heart attack. And she is very young. I see my GP on Monday to go over my labs with him so I will be asking him about this.

I may ask his opinion about taking an aspirin a day as well. It may not even be necessary, but it can't hurt to ask, right? I will mention the protime too. Thank you.