Does anyone else

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by tiredTina, May 16, 2003.

1. tiredTina

tiredTina New Member

have the problem of muscle spasms or "jerking" while just falling asleep? I know that it happens occasionally for some people, but it happens to me daily, and for long periods of time. It wakes me up out of a deep sleep. My arms jerk, my legs jerk, even my rear!!LOL But, seriously; this is one of the most annoying things. I don't know if it has anything to do with fibro or not. Does anyone know anything about this or experience this?
    ~Tina~
  2. pands45

pands45 New Member

I have the same problem, although it does not happen to me every night. My legs and butt jerk most of the time. My arms not as much. I started to notice this quite a few months ago. Its almost like my body starts to get real relaxed when I am trying to fall asleep and my body doesnt want it to, so it makes part of my body jerk. It almost seems like it happens when I am having a very bad flare up and I am very drained. I say it is another rotten affect of fibro. I am no doc. but lately everything I experience that is new, I chalk it up to being a part of Fibro. Hope this helps. Take care, Sherri
  3. tiredTina

tiredTina New Member

hmm.....I did look at past posts here and it sure sounds like that's what it is. Thank you Nink, I had no idea what it was or if it was anything. I'm sure that that's what I have! I appreciate your info! Sherri, you should look at it as well, sounds like you have it, too!
    ~Tina~
  4. layinglow

layinglow New Member

Tina I had myclonic jerking very badly, too. My arms, legs, trunk, neck, and head all became involved. I would at the same time have facial movements of mouth and eyelids.
    I have been on Klonopin for over 6 months now. When this begins, I take a dose of klonopin, and it ceases. Yes, it is one of the central nervous system symptoms that can occur in Fibro. You may want to look in the library, here. Dr. Chaney has an article about Klonopin and how a subset of FM patients have what he terms "mini seizures". That is exactly how I would describe what happens to me. It is not a full blown seizure as I am conscious and not disoriented, but seizure activity. I have had no problems from the klonopin, it has been wonderful--no side effects. I take a dose at bedtime for sleep, and may dose when this type of activity happens during the day. It also greatly helps with sensory overload, and anxiety as well. There is a theory that neurons are overfiring, and one would not want this to continue, but to treat it, so damage does not occur. Best wishes, LL
  5. Princessraye

Princessraye New Member

Several times in my life I have experienced something where my legs,arms,face and hands draw up like I am having a seizure.(while sleeping) I drool. I know I need someone to touch me and am completely aware but have trouble speaking. The last time this happened my mom was in the other room and I said moooom, mooom, several times and slow. She heard me. Seeing me in this condition she touced me and that brought me out of it. The Dr. said it was not a seizure as I could not have called for her and touching me would not bring me out of it. However no one knows what it is. It happens about every five years which is weird.
    Thanks......................

[ advertisement ]