Does anyone else's body reject contact lenses and earrings?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Lendi, Mar 24, 2003.

1. Lendi

Lendi New Member

I can't wear contact lenses because my body rejects them, and I can only wear pierced earrings for a short time before my ears puff up and get sore. Could this be from immunity? Another CFS/FM symptom. Just wondered if anyone else did the same thing, looking for similarities in symptoms.
  2. AnnG

AnnG New Member

I wore hard lenses for 15 years with absolutely no problems and then suddenly, my body rejected them. One minute after I put them in they would become covered with "protein deposits". The Dr tried every kind on the market and they did the same thing. I would try again every year to see if a new brand would work. Nothing helped. I was devastated. Now, I just buy the funkiest glasses I can find!

As long as I wear surgical steel earrings I am OK. If you have a Nordstroms near you check out the Brass Plum dept. They have a brand of jewelry called Tomas, lots of cute styles.

Anyway, you are not alone!!!
  3. pam_d

pam_d New Member

I am so glad you posted this!! I have had pierced ears for decades, was the kind of person who could wear any type of earrings, nothing ever irritated my earlobes. I've been noticing that my ears now get easily irritated, I always have the urge to take my earrings out after a couple of hours. Never even occured to me that this was FM-related til you mentioned it!!

Another one....have used tampons for years, still do, but I notice that I get an almost indescribable sensation that I need to take it out before I normally would----it really feels like you said, like my body's "rejecting" having a foreign object there for too long....the earring feeling is the same way. Wow...

You are probably right!!

Hugs,
    Pam

[This Message was Edited on 03/24/2003]
  4. CelticLadee

CelticLadee New Member

Contacts make my eyes scream by late day. I have dry eyes and they only make it worse. Torture treatment! As far as earrings...I haven't been able to wear anything but Simply Whispers, 14 k gold or good quality silver since I was 15 years old. I have had a nickel allergy since I pierced my ears. I don't attribute either to my CFIDS as I have always been this way. Maybe a sign of pre-disposition if anything. They both do seem a little more sensitive now though so this disease does not help this condition for sure. CLD
  5. Plantscaper

Plantscaper New Member

Wore contact lenses for about l3 years, and after these DDs arose on the scene have not been able to wear contact lenses in any form..eyes just start hurting, blood-shot, and tearing like crazy..and can't wear any eye makeup, either now..everything seems to affect eyes negatively..Have Sjogren's Syndrome, too, which accounts for the dryness..

Haven't tried to wear earrings, although have pierced ears, lately...generally, don't wear much jewelry..too much hassle..

There are many people on this board with Eye Problems..~~~~~~AMELIA
  6. Lendi

Lendi New Member

It's such a pain. I loved my contacts.
    Pam, I hadn't thought about the tampons, but I know what you mean. I'm the same way. Interesting.
  7. scottabir

scottabir New Member

I never thought this would possibly be tied in with FM. I have never been able to wear earings. I have tries all metals and I get the same reactions to them; they get puffy, red, and sore.

I used to wear contacts but than I went to glasses. After a couple years I decided to get contacts again but I have not been able to wear them. The DR tried different brands but none of them felt right.

Abi
  8. SuzieQ

SuzieQ New Member

I've tried many different kinds of contacts with no success...it is so annoying. I also have to take my earrings out before bed when I do wear them, it doesn't matter how good they are.
  9. jdala

jdala New Member

Before I started getting sick I could wear even the cheapest earrings but now can only wear Simply Whispers or gold.
  10. Notonline

Notonline New Member

I always use to blame this on gold earrings (they seem to make my ears sore really quick), but really all earrings bug me after a short while. Never could get adjusted to contacts, always felt like I had something nasty in my eye, and I've tried three types over the years. I've always used pads, could never get used to tampons.

Anyone have a problems wearing rings? They make my fingers ache & hurt horribly (esp. gold rings), unless they are so loose they are ready to fall off my hand, and then it seems I just can't stand to wear them all day. I just thought it was another confirmation that I'm just "weird", and it really sucks too... because I love jewelry especially silver!
  11. Echos

Echos New Member

I can only wear 14 kt. gold and that's only after I have put them in the autoclave. I use to be able to wear anykind of metals in my ears and belly button, but now my body rejects almost all of it. My belly button ring has to be at all times 18kt. gold or it gets so infected. I tried to wear contacts but right away knew I would not be able to. They hurt and bothered my eyes so badly, so I have to stick with glasses. I'm beginning to feel like a weirdo or something. I can't even smell a smell without getting a severe knock me to my knees migraine. How does one live this way?

Love,
    Echos
  12. Laurita

Laurita New Member

Lendi,

I also have had problems with earings and lenses and sometime my ring. I find a little hydrocortisone on the posts of only good earrings will let me wear them for a while when I really want to, some days tho my lobes scream as soon as I insert the posts.

I gave up contacts too! And the biggest thing I gave up was Scultured nails, My nails would get sore. I think sometimes our immune systems are so turned on it doesn't know what it's attacking, and the less foreign stuff I use the better over all I feel.

Laurita
  13. Fireball

Fireball New Member

Wow!!!! I never realized that not being able to wear
    contacts, earrings or tampons might be tied in to all
    of my other Fibro symptoms. It has always been this way for me too for as long as I can remember.

Another weird thing is that I cannot stand shoes for
    very long. I have to be very selective with the shoes
    that I do wear and as soon as I hit the door, I have
    to take them off. I don't like socks very much either. I also drive a car without any shoes on. Anyone else have this problem?

Thanks everyone for all of the info on this board. I
    check it every day and it is my lifeline!!!!!
  14. karen55

karen55 New Member

When I got my latest Rx for contact lenses, I got extended wear lenses, meaning I *should* get a month out of each pair. After 2 weeks of wearing them, they are SO uncomfortable I can't stand them. I believe it's the protein deposits. I've tried all of the different solutions, and the one that says *no rubbing necessary*, I use it and rub them to try to clean them better. My eyes tend to get pretty dry. Sometimes, midday, I have to take the lenses out, clean them and put them back in.

At this rate, what was *supposed* to have been 2 years worth of lenses, will last me 6 months.

I find that if I change to a new pair every 2 weeks or so, I don't have near as many problems and they aren't uncomfortable.

Karen
  15. SPR30

SPR30 New Member

Hi Lendi. I am 30. I have FMS and many other illnesses.
    I used to wear several pairs of earrings. Now I cannot wear any. Not gold or Simply Whispers. I am allergic to even hypo-allergenic creams and cosmetics. I have many skin/chemical sensitivities too. I had a hysterectomy last year and I was allergic to the tape strips applied to my incision (after staples were removed). The reaction was so severe that my incision opened. I have notice so many changes in my body. I used to have very long, thick healty nails, now they are ridged and brittle. Oh, it's awful. I hope you keep strong, though. My best to you!!!
  16. pearls

pearls New Member

I've only had fibromyalgia continually since February of 2000. Howwwwwwever...

1) Years ago I tried contacts, but could not wear them. I seem to have had red bumps on the underside of my eye lids.

2) For years I didn't wear earrings because I couldn't stand the clip-on style and never got into pierced ears for years because when I was young nice girls didn't do that. (Even when they finally did - I didn't. <Grin>) Eventually, I did wear earrings for pierced ears, but only for several years. I would get tired of them really fast. It seemed to get faster and faster as time wore on.

3) My feet have to breathe!!! I get horrible sweaty feet and sore places that rub against the shoes, and never thought that perhaps I'm having the same problem with my feet and shoes as with the rest of my body and clothes. The minute I come into the door, my shoes come off and so do all my clothes. I wear a muumuu for the rest of the evening - or all weekend except when I go away from the house. I have about five muumuus and love each one of them.

4) I don't wear rings, but haven't worn them for many, many years for some forgotten, femminist reason I dont' even believe in anymore! <G>

5) I love nice belts and had a really beautiful one I was anxious to replace. I came down with THE FIBROMYALGIA THAT WOULDN'T GO AWAY and couldn't stand wearing belts for the longest time. I wear them now, but ever wear them tight - that's for sure.

Interesting...

-Pearl
    [This Message was Edited on 03/29/2003]
  17. teawah

teawah New Member

I have never used contacts but the ear ring question got me thinking. I can't wear anything but 14kt. Even silver makes my ears swell and hurt. Well, actually, I gave up on wearing them at all so I am not sure that I can even wear 14kt. any more. Thanx for the post. Gave me something to think about. Again.

Keep on Keepin' On,
    teawah
  18. kaths

kaths New Member

For years, I've only been able to wear Simply Whispers earrings, and I usually take them as soon as I get home. After wearing them for 13 years, I suddenly have problems wearing my contacts for more than four hours, if that long. I'm always barefoot at home. I have CFIDS.

Thanks for affirming my quirks!

Kathy
  19. isee

isee New Member

I pierced my ears when I was 16, and put in 14k gold earrings. My ears immediately swelled, turned red, and formed oozing pus. I let them close and heal, then tried again, the same thing happened 3 more times. I finally gave up.

Since then, (and I'm now 51), I've tried wearing gold rings,bracelets, necklaces, but I break out into a red, itching rash. Even metal zippers or belt touching a tiny area of skin will produce that reaction.

I decided long before I experienced CFS (at age 34)that I was allergic to most metals. Silver, gold, brass, copper,nickel all produce the same red rash.

I now think I developed the metal allergy because my system is toxic with metals.

I grew up in New Orleans, where our drinking water was laden with all kinds of heavy metals from the industrial waste dumped in the Mississippi. I also ate tons of fish from the Gulf of Mexico, as well as Lake Ponchatrain, also a dumping ground for all kinds of toxins, which shrimp and oysters and crabs, the local delicacies, scavenge for food.

Add to this, eleven mercury fillings and one gold crown, and,voila, you have a whole lot of heavy metal burden, if not poisoning.

It's to all that that I attribute my (metal)earring sensitivity.

I think I was probably a walking time-bomb, just waiting for CFS to explode within me. And, that's exactly what happened when I was 34, following a flu-like illness.

It all just makes sense to me.

Thanks for your post.

Anna
  20. Hippo

Hippo New Member

Very interesting questions, and thank you for the nice compliment you paid me on another thread.

I do wear contacts, but with difficulty. I also have trouble with my glasses because of the pressure on the bridge of my nose and behind my ears.

I can wear earrings but also with difficulty. I tend not to wear them. I also have trouble with rings and bracelets. Usually I just wear my watch.

Any tight clothing drives me nuts. I usually wear sweatpants or some type of pants with an elastic waist, and no bra.

I haven't noticed a tampon problem, but I suppose that will be next! LOL

Hippo