Does anyone ever get scared..........

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by star273, Sep 19, 2008.

1. star273

star273 New Member

Does anyone ever get scared of all the weird symptoms we have and think they are going to die? I am scared all the time. I will wake up in the middle of the night and things will be all quiet and all I can do is think... will I suddenly die? I hate it and I know its just me being paraniod, but it sometimes rules my life. I dont want to leave my kids and I am constantly thinking about what would happen if I suddenly die. I think its because we have so many strange symptoms. Do you think thats it? I dont know, but I do know I get depressed alot, thinking about it too much. Its almost like we have a mental illness along with this DD.
  2. gapsych

gapsych New Member

Absolutely I think anyone with all our symptoms gets scared. I know the waking up in the middle of the night feeling. I would also get these same feelings when I would wake up in the morning.

While I was in a horrific flare this spring I kept having ruminating thoughts like yours. These thoughts even extended to my family. Long story short, I was unknowningly not on my usual amount of antidepressant and when I got back to my original dose, these thoughts lessened considerably.

Now whether depression or pain was causing these, I am not sure. Probably, a bit of both. But I did want to share my story.

If you are feeling depressed, you might want to talk with your doctor. Sometimes situational depression can turn into clinical depression.

What medications are you on?

If we did not worry, I think we would not be normal. If you feel it is interfering with you life/sleep, it would probably be a good idea to get checked out.

Take care and keep us updated.

3. dragon06

dragon06 New Member

that we can all suddenly die WITHOUT all the symptoms we have. Anyone can die at anytime, with or without warning. Yes, it is less likely for healthy people to suddenly die but that is not a given.

I have known people who were very healthy and dropped dead of an unexplained heart attack for no reason that was ever found.

No one has cornered the market on living. Therefore we all have to go through life and live it to the fullest we can and get as much joy as we can while we have it.

I am not trying to scare you or make you more depressed, I just don't think having the symptoms we have necessarily makes us more prone to death.

Try not to let it worry you and if you keep waking up with these thoughts then I would probably talk with a therapist about it because it is not good to be pre-occupied with death.

And no, I don't get scared that I will die related to my symptoms.
    [This Message was Edited on 09/19/2008]
  4. quanked

quanked Member

you may have some anxiety going on. There are lots of things to be anxious about even beyond our diseases in this world. However, sometimes our thoughts seem uncontrolable. If your thoughts become debilitating you might want to see a therapist. There are medications for anxiety and there are also some excellent cognitive skills that you can learn to help you talk yourself through these spells.

I have had some bouts with anxiety and I know how unpleasant it can be. It can get scary. Good luck.

5. pasara

pasara New Member

i don't feel like this all the time, but i have at times, when my CFS has been really bad and i am in a crash. i don't think it is just anxiety and depression. at least for me it's not. i have just flat out wondered if i am truly dying. my body was so weak and i couldn't get out of bed, could barely speak, and i wonder if it is just going to shut down altogether. this CAUSES anxiety, and the symptoms then make the anxiety worse, because of what your body is doing. it becomes a vicious cycle.

when i am feeling that bad my husband holds me. it helps. it makes me feel safer, and his energy strengthens me some. it calms me. and i know i am not alone. and it helps me to rest, which ultimately is the only thing that's going to bring me back.

6. greatgran

greatgran Member

I hate this feeling but it seems to be with me 24/7 most of the time.

My doc says its anxiety so I take xanax which takes the edge off and I truly believe that this DD has caused me to be a Mental case.

Sorry, no advice just can so relate.

God Bless,
  7. harboreen

harboreen Member

Oh goodness YES! Let me Thank you right off for posting this personal issue.
    Like you, I lie awake, my mind turning towards the unknown as strange thoughts pop up- leading to more thoughts of gloom, doom.
    It's usually during a long painful flare, feeling like I'll never feel any better - all the 'what if's' popping into my head.
    Stands to reason these episodes come during a long flare... while in a hightened state of pain ~ so too is my emotional state of mind ~ heightened.
    It's like I have a split personality because once the flare is over I'm like a new & different person w/a totally different outlook. Talk about STRANGE...Scary how the mind works in connection to feelings of pain,huh. During the light of day I feel my inner happness if sunlight gives me the will to push on- AND in people such as you who so bravely post presonal feelings such as this. It helps me to feel not so alone.
    Simply knowing there are others who experience the same- as if justifying our sanity ~
    (or maybe we're all crazy!) (lol) Oh heavens!.. I have to find the humor in my life or I'll most certainly go loonie!
    these boards can be a God send once you hit-connect- or identify with certain post's....certain people's responce... reinforment, caring thoughts.
    What lies ahead for us????? HOPE ~ that we will have a future~ research has gotten much better.
    Keep positive.. don't let the strange thoughts or feelings take over because- my feeling is that depression lies one step ahead. It's tough to be positive while living in pain, I know all too well... I do everyday of my life,, So first & foremost I try to keep positive -especially during these fearful episodes.
    I will remember this post the next time these feeling come up for me and when dispair hits. I'll repeat; I AM NOT ALONE! I AM NOT CRAZY!!
    more peacefull, less painful & happeir moments is what I wish for you ..
    thanks for being here....
    [This Message was Edited on 09/20/2008]
  8. lrning2cope

lrning2cope New Member

Yes , I do . Lately I have so much on my plate as far as medicine and pain and procedures and more and more diagnosis, I feel like I might be dying .

I even told my doctor that if I don't believe in keeping someone alive on machines just for the sake of the people still living . I said that if I knew , I would be miserable and that I thought it was a waste of money. I think she got what I was trying to say and just listened.

Sometimes the unrelenting pain plus fatique plus depression/anxiety can put us in a very dark mood that makes us think of death . However , like the other comments here , it is so true we could die at any time

My friend had one of his friends die of a heart attack . He was in his 30's , a health nut , advocated and practiced keeping one's body in optimal shape. It is just a totally stunning death for everyone. But , it was his time to go .

I don't say this to be negative , but to be honest. We really don't know when we will go . What we do know is that we can live every moment to the best of our ability , no matter what is in that moment , there will be a choice of how we handle it.