Does anyone feel the supplements they take help?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Rosiebud, Aug 13, 2008.

1. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

I take many supplements but I dont think they benefit me much.

I stopped for a 6 weeks and didnt feel any worse. I've started taking them again as I've bought so many.

Anyone feel the same or that they really do benefit from taking supplements.

2. klutzo

klutzo New Member

I do take some supplements, like multivitamins and calcium and strontium and COQ10 and vitamin D and L-glutamine and Greens First and Whey Protein, just because they are supposed to be good for me.

But, some of them make a huge difference, like magnesium and creatine and B complex and digestive enzymes and probiotics and krill oil and L-tryptophan.

I don't think I could live without magnesium to help my heart symptoms and B complex for my nerves, and I would not have enough energy to do much without creatine. Without L-tryptophan my depression and anger would have killed me by now.

3. jinlee

jinlee Member

I take handfuls, ones my doctor has prescribed. So far I don't think a single one has helped and all I think is I have expensive pee! I think they all just wash out of my body without doing anything.

I am waiting until my next blood tests and then I am going to decide which supplements I am going to toss out.

At this point, nothing is helping. I can't see that my prescription meds are even helping, such as thyroid, B12, vitamin D; all of these tests showed I was very low on.

I just have about given up as nothing does seem to change the way I feel.

Sorry I haven't been more encouraging.

Hope you have better luck.

4. mmztcass

mmztcass New Member

might be the way to go for most of us. Sometimes the synthetic vitamins doesn't work as well and could cause toxic built up.

Me, I just try to find the balance in what I take without having to overload on so many vitamins/supplements and cause stomach problems.

Take care... :)
  5. gapsych

gapsych New Member

Be very very careful about the krill oil. Krill are related to the shrimp family.

Like shrimp, people can suddenly get a severe alleric reaction. Krill oil increases the risk of an allergic reaction because of the concentration.

My doctor recommended pharmaceutical grade fish oil. Like the krill oil it is supposedly free of toxins found in fish.

However, it is very expensive.

6. ilovepink4

ilovepink4 Member

No, I don't think they help me. I take Vit D, B6, Calcium and L-phenylalanine.....I was planning on adding a few more...but, I am wondering if I am just throwing my money away. My doc says they just pass through and don't do much.

I am getting tired of swallowing so many things.

Oh, and a year of guaifenensin didn't help me either.
  7. glenpr

glenpr New Member

the only thing that I found that helped is the ginseng and royal jelly in vials. It took about 3 weeks of taking it daily to notice a difference.

8. punkinsowner42

punkinsowner42 New Member

Went to a naturopath in May and he put me on BComplex, Digestive Enzymes, 5-htp, CoQ10 and Magnesium. The dosages he wanted were quite high. I'm quite sensitive to most supplements, vitamins, drugs, etc. I cut back on these supplements to levels I could handle, but then even those were too much and I experienced some unwelcome side effects like diarrhea (how much would I be absorbing if it just went right thru me) when taking the Magnesium (which was paired with Calcium & Vit. D). I now take the 5-HTP for sleep and the enzymes and CQ10. Seems to help the most. ANd an occasional multi vitamin. I have all these expensive vitamins in my fridge (they were liquid ones) that I can't take and don't know what to do with.
  9. klutzo

klutzo New Member

Hi GaPsych,
    Thanks for the warning. I took Glucosamine for about ten years once, which was also pushing my luck as far as developing a shrimp allergy. I have many allergies, but no food allergies so far.

I take krill oil because I am part of the 30% of people who have a paradoxical reaction to fish oils, ie. it raises my LDL, total cholesterol and triglycerides, instead of lowering them. It also causes my GERD to be much worse. Krill oil is 60 times better absorbed and has no mercury or GERD issues. It has greatly improved my lipid ratios so I am no longer in the extremely dangerous range, and my Cardiologist is amazed, so I guess I will take my chances for now, since nothing else has worked to help my awful lipid ratios, except eating about 10 walnuts daily did raise my HDL, but unfortunately has also caused major weight gain.
    - - - - - - - - - --

To everyone who thinks they are not absorbing their supps..... You are probably right, unless you are taking digestive enzymes with each meal and taking your supps. in as natural a form as possible. One example is vitamin E. The "dl" form is synthetic, and the alpha tocepherol form alone is not normal for your body to handle. It should be taken in the "d" form only and mixed tocepherols only.

It is part of this illness to have sympathetic dominant nervous systems, and that means that both digestion and absorption are going to be subnormal, due to the parasympathetic system being turned way down.

I take prescription strength digestive enzymes at the highest dosage. We also absorb whole food vitamins better too, as someone mentioned. That is why I take Greens First, a whole food product.

Also, anyone who is taking a PPI drug is going to need plenty of extra calcium in citrate form (the most absorbable) and vitamin B12, preferably in the more absorbable methylcobalamin form, since PPI drugs severely inhibit absorbtion of those two things. (for those who don't know, PPIs are acid blockers like Prilosec or Nexium).

In fact, taking a PPI for only one year increases the risk of bone fracture 44%. I have to take a PPI, which is why I take strontium and vit. D too, along with calcium, though not at the same time of day.....strontium has to be taken a few hours away from help get back some of the bone I've already lost because of it.

You really have to study this stuff to figure out what is good and what is just hype, and the correct way to take them. It sure can get expensive and confusing.

Best regards,