does anyone find heat makes cfs worse?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by jan a., Oct 8, 2002.

1. jan a.

jan a. New Member

I live in florida so I realize our weather is hotter than many other places but I cant spend any amount of time outside in the sun anymore like I used to....My face gets very red from the heat and I feel awful. then by the next day I get a really bad flareup of my cfs symptoms, sometimes so bad Im bedridden for a couple of days and the fatigue is overwhelming....much more than my everyday exhaustion...do any of you experience this problem of not being able to handle being overheated? My husband and I used to go out in our boat all day before I was so ill and it never bothered me, I loved to go to the beach etc. cant do any of those things anymore...had to sell the boat to pay medical bills but cant go in it anyway so it was for the best....just want to know if this is a common sympton among others with cfs...Its like my thermostat is set on high in my body when I go out in the sun....thanks, jan a.
  2. jan a.

jan a. New Member

I live in florida so I realize our weather is hotter than many other places but I cant spend any amount of time outside in the sun anymore like I used to....My face gets very red from the heat and I feel awful. then by the next day I get a really bad flareup of my cfs symptoms, sometimes so bad Im bedridden for a couple of days and the fatigue is overwhelming....much more than my everyday exhaustion...do any of you experience this problem of not being able to handle being overheated? My husband and I used to go out in our boat all day before I was so ill and it never bothered me, I loved to go to the beach etc. cant do any of those things anymore...had to sell the boat to pay medical bills but cant go in it anyway so it was for the best....just want to know if this is a common sympton among others with cfs...Its like my thermostat is set on high in my body when I go out in the sun....thanks, jan a.
  3. tgirl

tgirl New Member

I've got CFS and find that heat makes me very tired, plus I get a fever on top of it. I don't know if it's a real fever, but if it's hot my body starts to burn up and my skin gets very warm to the touch. It's awful. Cool or cold weather makes me feel invigorated, although then there's the problem of more body pain. Can't win...

Tgirl

4. pam_d

pam_d New Member

about heat intolerance. I feel for me it's heat, sun and humidity combined. I'm dark olive-skinned, a definite mediterranean complexion who NEVER used to get a sunburn. Since FM, I burn instantly (and I mean burns with swelling, blistering & oozing--yuck!) so I avoid sun & use sunscreen a lot. I also experience the heat intolerance by getting the beat-red face, swollen hands after only a few minutes in the sun or heat. My temp. elevates easily, too. I feel I get a kind of mini-heatstroke. I at least do OK in air-conditioning, some with this don't. I have recently moved to a hot, humid climate from a low-humidity & temp. climate, so naturally this is killing me! (Everything else about our move has been positive, tho). Good luck to you, Jan, I know exactly what you're talking about...

Pam
  5. debrastets

debrastets New Member

Hot and cold even the wind blowning on me makes me hurt!Its raining here today(TeX) so i am in bad pain. Hope you feel better!
  6. pepper

pepper New Member

where our summers are VERY hot especially the last few years and the winters are very cold, both seasons with high humidity. Before CFS I loved the summers, sat out in the sun, went swimming etc, and hated the winters, usually went south to Florida or the Caribbean.

The day I came down with CFS this all reversed. I cannot tolerate any heat. I am hot, hot, hot all the time. I find cooler temperatures that we have had the past few days so pleasant when other people are complaining about the cold. I am so looking forward to the snow! I enjoy sitting outside when it is 0 degrees Celsius (32 Fahrenheit). The neighbours all think I'm nuts.

My skin is also hot to the touch and my thyroid is out of whack. The synthroid I am taking makes me even hotter but the doc is hoping it evens out eventually.

The humidity even more than the heat makes my CFS symptoms much worse.

My family has started calling me "Satchmo" after Louis Armstrong who was always wiping the sweat off his face. That's me. Pepper
    [This Message was Edited on 10/09/2002]
  7. sb439

sb439 New Member

When I'm out in the sun so that I get really hot (I used to all the time) I get a CFIDS flare-up. And when I get really cold, ditto. So I do everything to avoid either. (I do tolerate short sun-bed sessions, so for a while I got my tan that way ...)
    Susanne
  8. herblady

herblady New Member

i live on the missippi gulf coast, almost as hot the there and the heat makes me so much worse. i can't tolerate heat at all. i get so sick. cindi
  9. allhart

allhart New Member

i live in tucson az and the heat deffently makes me more fatigued
  10. Michell

Michell New Member

really causes a cfs flare up in the beginning of the summer for me. But then I get used to it. On the other hand, the heat also helps my pain from the fms and other stuff.
    I would rather it be summer, the fall and winters cause me too much pain.
    shell
  11. Madelyn

Madelyn New Member

Heat this summer in PA. was record breaking, and we are also humid. I could barely function. I lost weight. I couldn't stay out of my AC bedroom for more than a few minutes. My Dr. confirms this, saying that all CFIDS people can do is lay low. Yes, it makes symptoms much worse.
  12. s43

s43 New Member

hi i live in the U.K. BUT FIND THAT THE HEAT KILLS ME TOO.I AM COMING TO FLOIDA NEXT YEAR ON HOLIDAYS AND DONT KNOW HOW I WILL COPE TAKE CARE THINGS CAN ONLY GET BETTER. LUV SHA
  13. jan a.

jan a. New Member

thanks for your posts....theres comfort in numbers of others who feel the same discomfort...to sha from UK, dont worry about the heat in florida as long as it is not between may and october...thats our summer and its really hot...if you come in the winter its really nice....my problems are the worse if I try to do any kind of gardening in the sun...brutal...I get so red from heat exhaustion Im almost purple...very weird and then so sick for days after...must activate the virus from within...take care all...jan a.