Does anyone get a stuffed up nose when they put the CPAP mask on?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia and ME & Chronic Fatigue Syndrome' started by judeflem, Feb 26, 2004.

1. judeflem

judeflem New Member

Hi Everyone!

My nose is fine all day long. When I go to bed and put the the CPAP mask on my nose gets all stuffed up and I can't breath out of it. It is so bad that I have to take the mask off.

Please, any suggestion?

Is there a spell check on this site.

I thank you for your listening to me.

Judy
  2. Bearzie

Bearzie New Member

I was on CPAP for a while and my nose would plug up too which drove me crazzzyy! Adding humidification helped quite a bit but Dr. also perscribed nose drops which also helped. I never did get used to the masketc. so I finally quit using it.

Good luck, hope this helps.
    Bearzie(Susie)
  3. Pat45

Pat45 New Member

Hi Judy,

I have been on a C-PAP for 3 years.Do you have the humidifier attachment? I have found the extra moisrure to be essential.

Also, sometimes seems that as soon as I start up the machine my nasal passages just close up. I have found a trick to get them open again.

Breathe IN through your nose (sometimes it is difficult I just snuffle through as best I can) and OUT through your mouth. It feels really strange because of the air pressure, but it gets easier with practice.

It usually only takes a minute or so of doing this to get the passages open again so you can breathe comfortably through your nose only.

I hope this helps you.

Take Care,

Pat
  4. SueQ

SueQ New Member

Hey Judy,

You bet your nasal spray it does !

I find cleaning the filter twice a week(a must do) and using Nasalcrom Nasal Spray every night works for me. I have tried every nasal spray available and the Nasalcrom is the ONLY spray that dosen't make my nose bleed or burn.

Sometimes I'm still stuffy when I wake but, I've gotten enough restful sleep with my CPAP that it is only a slight incovenience.

I never realized how bad sleep depravation could make you feel. With my wonderful CPAP machine I can function most days and my cognative function is 100% better.

I hope this helps, and if not then call your machine provider and COMPLAIN COMPLAIN COMPLAIN. They are there to help solve these problems----use them.

May God keep you in His love ,and I will keep you in my prayers.

Hugs, Susan
  5. I have been using CPAP since September 2012. That is when I was diagnosed with Obstructive Sleep Apnea/OSA. I have also been the type to sleep for 10 hours a night. That is due to taking epilepsy meds. I keep telling doctors that the CPAP makes me tired. I wake up really tired, after using it all night or from naps.

One thing that you could do, is ask the doctor (ENT) if you have enlarged nasal turbinates. That makes it harder to breathe. Weight gain will make everything bigger, including your nasal turbinates. I had a hard time breathing through my nose, when my nasal turbinates were enlarged. I would take a nap/go to bed with the CPAP, to make it easier to breathe. I had my nasal turbinate reduction procedure on 9/24/2013. It made a big difference afterwards. It took time for the nasal turbinates to heal. I wasn't supposed to blow my nose for 48 hours. There was a lot of crusting in my nose, when it healed up for 2 weeks or longer. I was given Ayr nose drops to use, to keep the crusting moist. That didn't work for me at all. I bought the Ayr Saline Nasal Gel with soothing ALOE. It is in a green box. I applied it with Q-tips. I would also dig at the dried blood/crusting with the swab. I would break it loose and blow my nose. That happened for about a month.

I didn't use my CPAP for over a month, after that. The nose needed to heal. I felt great, when I didn't use it. I felt like my old self. I could wake up refreshed, stay awake for 14 hours (no naps) and be awake enough to drive. I haven't had a driver's license for over 11 months now. I gave it up, due to driving less and less with the OSA.

I had my last polysomnography/overnight sleep test on 11/1/2013. I started the sleep test without the CPAP. I wanted to see if the nasal turbinate reduction procedure corrected my OSA. Before I went into REM/dream sleep, the technician woke me up. My oxygen dropped very low. I had to finish the sleep test with the CPAP. I have been using the CPAP every night, ever since that sleep test. Now I feel tired and not refreshed.

The only time I don't use my CPAP, is when I have a cold/sinus infection/when I am stuffed up. I just use a Breathe Right nasal strip and have a cough drop in my mouth, when I a sick. I breathe through my nose, not my mouth. I have a cough drop in my mouth when I am sick, so that I can still breathe through my nose.

I do have enlarged tonsils. Since I can take lots of pills at once, removing my tonsils is not necessary.

I saw a dietitian on 1/29/2014. I am over 100 lb overweight. I would like to lose over 100 lb, so that I can hopefully get rid of the CPAP.

Does anyone else have problems with waking up really tired after using the CPAP all night long? I did try samples of a nose spray that has antihistamine in it. I don't remember the name of it. The nose spray came in an orange box, from my ENT. I hated that stuff. That nose spray made my nose burn. It felt like there was a cloud of dust in my nose. I would sneeze from it.