Does anyone get costocondritis pain both sides?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Line, Dec 12, 2006.

1. Line

Line New Member

My Dr. thinks I have costo but everything I read says it affects the left side. Mine is both sides, under the ribs, breasts and upper chest also back at times. Althouhg when I startd with this many years ago it was left sided.

I rolled out cookie dough yesterday and am so sore I cannot touch myself, getting like mini shocks all over the chest area also

Anyone know how to tell of it is actually costo or fm, with fm we have so many trigger points in the chest area? I also have some nerve compression and severe arthritis in my neck.

Thanks, Linda

2. rushword

rushword New Member

I don't know what costocondritis is, but I have severe spinal stenosis in the neck, which is causing compression on my spinal cord, for which I am having surgery next week. The spinal cord compression has caused me to have shocks in my arm. Tingling in my chest. Pain in my neck, shoulders, head and arms. Severe arthritis caused my spinal cord compression. Have you had an MRI of your neck recently? Just wondering if it's your neck causing your problems, but then I'm not familiar with costochondritis.
  3. Line

Line New Member

Yes I had two Mri's one cervial and one thorastic. The dr. did tell me this chest thing could be cervical relates due to having the soreness on both sides. It is really not pain more like I am very bruised.

Thanks, Linda
  4. charlenef

charlenef New Member

i have cmp(chronic myofascial pain) that is what causes mine maybe you made some trigger points active by rolling hope this helps charlene
  5. momof471

momof471 New Member

Costochondritis was my first symptom of many leading to the diagnosis of fibromyalgia. When mine first started it was primarily left sided with sharp pains that seemed to go through to the back. I do get flares when my whole chest hurts even under and behind breasts, It can hurt to breathe. Sometimes it hurts so bad I want to scream when my children or husband try to hug me. I use heat and ice and a lot of prayer!
  6. lbuchanan3

lbuchanan3 New Member

Mine is predominately on the left side, but I do get them on the right side as well, usually when I turn sharply to the right. I also have nerve compression in the neck and arthritis throughout my spine, pinched nerve on C5-6 vertebra, and a herniated lumbar vertebra. But I do think the chest pain is the costocondritis.

When I get my pain there it is sharp, takes the breath away pain, but it goes almost as fast as it comes. I just have to remember to breathe when it happens. The pain does not last long.

Usually my Fibro pains last longer and are duller.

Linda B

7. stillfighting

stillfighting New Member

Linda,

I've never been formally diagnosed with costo, but when I describe the pain in my ribs to other friends with FMS, that's what they say it is. I don't know if it is due to FMS or RA, but the only thing that helps is lying down with a heating pad on my back and taking 2 ultrams. A lot of folks have a form that they mistake for a heart attack and keep having to go to the ER, but my pain is clearly in the ribs.

I hope you can find some relief!

Hugs,
    Hilary
  8. crazyjan

crazyjan New Member

I have this but mine started on the right side. At times if felt like someone had their fingers under my ribs and pushing in. I have it on both sides. Usually antiflammatory drugs help this but can't take them do to GERD. I go a chiro to get adjusted and they use ultersound it helps. Other times I use my heated pad and take my ultram.

Janelle
  9. maggiemae55

maggiemae55 New Member

Mine is in the right front, but it feels like its in my back too. Really hurts to breath or reach for something. I am going to see my chiro today, and maybe he can help. I have never had it on the right (knock on wood!)

Gee, what a coincidence....it's holiday time :0(

Warmly,
    maggie