does anyone get shingles

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by debee, Jun 4, 2005.

1. debee

debee New Member

Hi all I live in Sydney Australia and have had cfs for the last 7 yrs and since christmas i have had shingles 3 times does anyone else suffer with this ,thanks debbie
  2. ontariogirl

ontariogirl New Member

I've had shingles once--a woman brought her kids in to where I worked and they were going through chicken pox so very soon after I enden up with a patch of shingles on my temple. Thankfully it wasn't to severe and the med I got cleared it right up. But it was only a short time later I had my second cfids crash and that ended my being able to work. My immune system shut me down and life as I know it now began.
    I hope you find a treatment that works for you and you can get these bouts under control.
    Marlene
  3. victoria

victoria New Member

Electro-accupuncture helped me, but have since helped a friend who was afraid of needles get over a long term case after doing some research.

here's a copy of a post I made a while back:

we had a friend who had recurrent shingles 03/28/05 08:25 PM

and a lot of pain as it was in his groin area! (BTW, Shingles is a herpes virus, it is a reactivation of the chicken pox variety, herpes zoster.)

None of the antiviral drugs helped him. But Tagamet - yes, Tagamet - did.

The recommended dose is: take 200 mg of cimetidine (Tagamet) three times a day and then 400 mg a bedtime.

I did some research to try to help him and this is what I came up with. It is from Life Extension Foundation and explains WHY it works:
    ---------------

Herpes zoster (shingles)

"The most common neurologic condition known is herpes zoster, usually referred to as shingles. The CDC says that up to one million people in the United States contract herpes zoster each year. David Cooper, M.D., a contributing editor to JAMA, stated in 1998 that shingles afflicts more than one million people every year.

"Herpes zoster is a reactivation of the virus that causes chicken pox. Once a person has recovered from chicken pox, the virus (varicella) remains dormant, hiding among the connective nerve tissue in the body.

"No one seems to know why it occurs, although stress and/or a compromised immune system is thought to exacerbate the condition, but it usually activates in people over the age of 50. Traveling through the ganglia, it causes a tingling, stinging or burning sensation. A couple days later, once the virus has completed its journey to the skin, an irritating and painful rash and accompanying blisters may erupt. The resulting condition can be so painful, the patient may be unable to tolerate clothing or anything that touches the affected area.

"In cases of herpes zoster (shingles). . . Tagamet/cimetidine has been successfully used to lessen the debilitating pain and intensity of the skin rash and eruptions.

"Published studies indicate that viruses like herpes zoster and simplex can be put into quick remission, or the breakouts prevented altogether, when T-lymphocyte suppressor cell function is inhibited. The best way of accomplishing this is to take 200 mg of cimetidine (Tagamet) three times a day and then 400 mg a bedtime.

Tagamet is available in pharmacies over-the-counter. Suggested use is to initiate Tagamet as soon as symptoms of a herpes-related virus infection appear. Continue to take it for one to two weeks after all symptoms of the outbreak have abated.

"When it comes to treating herpes infections, conventional doctors seem to only pay attention to drug company propaganda, while failing to recommend lower cost drugs (like cimetidine) that have been shown to work especially well in herpes patients.

"Cimetidine (Tagamet) is a histamine2 (H2) receptor antagonist and, as such, can contribute to the enhancement of immune function. Various studies indicate cimetidine's effectiveness in suppressing herpes infections.

"The first case observation occurred in August 1977 when a patient developed shingles just before commencing a course of cimetidine for a chronic stomach ulcer. The patient experienced dramatic relief of the shingles pain and rapid disappearance of the eruption.

"On the basis of this observation, cimetidine was prescribed to 21 patients with herpes zoster (shingles). The results were encouraging in 18 out of these 21 patients. The trial was then extended to other herpes virus infections.

"In six out of seven patients with herpes labialis (lip), the blisters were aborted, and in one patient with herpes keratitis the result was also encouraging, with the attacks being markedly shortened in duration and reduced in frequency. The results of these preliminary trials showed the potential role of cimetidine in the treatment of herpes virus infection.(2)

"In 1996, a clinical trial was conducted on 221 patients with herpes zoster (SHINGLES) who were treated daily with cimetidine at 3 x 200 mg during the day and 1 x 400 mg at night. The results showed that cimetidine shortened the period of disease duration. The authors suggested using cimetidine in the treatment of shingles during the earliest stages of the disease.(3)

"A case reported in Canada resulted in the statement that cimetidine therapy appeared to reduce the expected length of the active phase of herpes zoster from 35 days or more to just 10 days.(4)

"At the Golda Medical Center in Israel, in 1994, a double-blind placebo-control study of cimetidine treatment versus placebo was conducted for one week in 22 patients with herpes zoster (SHINGLES). Those who were treated with cimetidine were found to recover much more quickly from skin rash and pain than those who were given the placebo.(5)

"At the Department of Neurology at Lady Davis Carmel Hospital in Israel, a randomized study evaluated the effect of cimetidine in the treatment of herpes zoster virus. The conclusion was that cimetidine treatment “shortened the median interval until the first decrease in pain, shortened the median interval until the complete resolution of pain and promoted faster complete healing of skin lesions….”(6)

The consensus from these studies is that when cimetidine is administered to those with herpes simplex or shingles, the result is a dramatic relief of the herpetic pain as well as rapid disappearance of the blisters.

"One precautionary note, even though Tagamet (cimetidine) is sold over-the-counter, refer to the package insert to make sure it does not interact with prescription drugs you may already be taking.

"Please note that if your doctor prescribes generic cimetidine, it may cost less to obtain it as a prescription drug (especially if you have prescription drug insurance) rather than buying the Tagamet name brand that is available without a prescription."
    ----------

Hope you're feeling better soon!
    Victoria

4. helpeachother

helpeachother New Member

Hi! Thanks for the info. I just today ordered the Zynoxin "supplement" claiming to be the most effective treatment for shingles (which I just got from my dear spouse) we both have cfs/fm/ld/mcs/etc.. I will, however get Tagament tomorrow and try that while waiting for the Zynoxin to arrive. THANKS and please be well. Peace
  5. tilla

tilla New Member

I put up a post last week about shingles and FM. They came out with that new vacine for shingles and they said about 60% of people that had pain now were a lot better. The vacine is not on the market yet.

The pain you can get from shingles is nerve pain, so I was wondering if chicken pox plays a role in our FM. Some times you can have shingles but not know it, it hides in your body waiting to come out.

I was thinking the vacine might help us.

No one answered my post, so I don't know anymore to tell you.

Tilla
  6. foxglove9922

foxglove9922 New Member

I have had 8 bouts of shingles in the last 4 years since becoming ill with CFS. Famvir works for me....actually I was on a maintaince dose of Famvir for 6 months because I just couldn't take the constant pain.

best wishes..........foxglove
  7. victoria

victoria New Member

I thought that what I'd heard about the vaccine was that it reduced the number of people actually getting shingles? Don't remember hearing that it helped people during an outbreak, that's not usually the way vaccines are given - so maybe something new?

Anyone who has had chicken pox will still have the virus in their system; it can become reactivated, usually later in life, and when it does, it is in the form of shingles. And usually most people only have one bout of shingles.

It seems however, that a lot of people with compromised immune systems can get repeated bouts, as witnessed by how many post about it just at this board.

How much these viruses that still remain in our body have to do with FM I don't think anyone knows really. There are a lot of stealth pathogens that are possibilities, on their own or as a co-infection.

all the best,
    Victoria
    [This Message was Edited on 06/06/2005]
  8. victoria

victoria New Member

LEF says you should continue to take the tagamet for one to two weeks after all symptoms of the outbreak have abated. so don't know if it would be good to stop if if you find it helping - and if you can see/feel a difference, don't know why you would stop it.

all the best,
    Victoria

9. nastaranjune

nastaranjune New Member

before I was diagnosed with FM got it once, oh lord it was terrible.
  10. foxglove9922

foxglove9922 New Member

Merck is working on getting a vaccine out. Just got the info from ProHealth in my email box today.
  11. Cyrus

Cyrus New Member

I've had to deal with shingles - always in the same place - at the base of my neck. It was not fun. If I caught it early enough the doc's were able to prescible an oral med that helped stop the spread, and if not I had to stick it out. For the burning itch and pain - I found over-the-counter Calamine lotion to be the most effective treatment in lessening the horrible discomfort that goes with it!! I would never wish shingles on anyone - hope you have a speedy recovery!
    Gentle Hugs ,
    Cyrus
  12. helpeachother

helpeachother New Member

Hi Victoria. I REALLY appreciate the followup info on the tagament. IT IS AMAZING! I started the (generic half-price store brand) Tagament monday night and this is only wednesday night. TWO DAYS and 99% of the itching is gone. The rashes and bumps are greatly reduced by more than 50% and even the pain has the edge taken off. I am really hopeful that it will get all the pain and sock this thing into remission. I certainly will follow your advice and keep on taking the stuff. All the best and be well! Peace
  13. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

The sooner treatment is started, the less nerve damage from shingles. Antivirals taken within 72 hrs. of the outbreak works best.

Love, Mikie
  14. LaurenMarie21

LaurenMarie21 New Member

I had shingles three times twice as a young baby and once more recently down my throat and in my mouth and on my trunk it was the worst... I know there has to be some connection with all of this
  15. foxglove9922

foxglove9922 New Member

An immune system that is not functioning properly will allow these herpes viruses to run rampant. Like I said before in the last 4 years of CFS, I've had 8 bouts and they always show up in the same place.

A wonderful member of this board, Tansy, told me that L-Lysine will prevent the replication of the herpes zoster virus and so far I haven't had a bout since then. I'm taking 500 mg once a day.

Best wishes..........foxglove
  16. foxglove9922

foxglove9922 New Member

17. victoria

victoria New Member

So glad to hear you are getting relief quickly!!! But I'm not surprised, really, that is what our friend experienced too.

all the best!
    Victoria
  18. helpeachother

helpeachother New Member

bump for julie-mom2seven SHINGLES & TAGAMENT