does anyone go to bed cold,and wake up hot?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by sixtyslady, Nov 14, 2006.

1. sixtyslady

sixtyslady Member

when I go to bed I"am cold but then I wake up during the nite I"m hot and have to throw off all the covers and then I get cold again and have to cover up.
    this goes on all nite long I hate it.
    I think I actually may get some sleep if I wasn"t hot and cold all night.
    I try to keep it cool in my room.my skin burns all the time even in the day time.
    does anyone else have this problem.
    hot & chilly Mom'ma.
    sixtyslady
    fight4acure likes this.
  2. TKE

TKE New Member

Yep :). Feels like the temp shoots up to about 500 degrees in a blink of an eye. I'm soaked in seconds. Having a hot flash right now....shessh!!!

Not only do I get the night sweats at night while sleeping, but I've been getting them all day long too. In between the sweats I freeze. I'm 49 & hopefully soon to me thru menopause.

Add to that a med (Lexapro) I was just put on is causing the increased sweating :(. I've been dressing in layers & removing clothing all day long, putting it back on, etc. This has gotten old real quick!

My Huz is post menopausal due to surgery so we both have night sweats. Talk about a "hot" bed, LOL.

Too bad we can't harness all this heat & use it to reduce our fuel bill. No wonder we have a global warming problem ;).
  3. nerdieduckie

nerdieduckie New Member

Yup yup. When I go to bed I usually require 2-3 blankets, but by morning teh socks are off, the blankets are shoved to one side, and I'm still burning up. It gets really annoying.
  4. happycanuk

happycanuk New Member

I am cold as well when I go to bed, and during the night I heat up and feel like I am going to explode.
  5. Jo29

Jo29 New Member

you mentioned that your skin burns all the time. Is it also red? My face and arms (on the top) burn and are red.

I have what is called a Mylar Rash on my face also, and when my face is red it is hot to the touch.

The mylar rash and red on my arms are due to Lupus. Just wondering if yours was anything like that.

Hugs,

Jodi
  6. Liz919

Liz919 New Member

I do the same thing...and then sometimes I'm freezing AND burning up all at the same time. It's extremely unsettling because I want to put on a blanket because I'm cold but I'm sweating and sooo darn hot. It's so weird. Ugh. :)
  7. Kimba4318

Kimba4318 New Member

go to bed cold and wake up around 3 am pulling all of the covers off. weird.

ambien is kicking in - gotta go
    hugs
    kim
  8. SusanEU

SusanEU New Member

I have been like this.

Last few months, I get up and turn on the fan only to wake up again dripping in sweat and freezing.

I am lucky that I sleep alone....

Sue in Ontario
  9. Abbycat

Abbycat New Member

Oh, yes! It's not all the time, but I go through bouts of this. I'm so tired from getting up all night long. I keep a stash of t-shirts and underwear, (cotton), in the bathroom for nights like this. I also have a heater in the bathroom so when I'm done changing, I read on the "throne" and warm up before I get back into the cold bedroom.

I also force myself to use only a sheet and a breathable blanket when I get back in bed, knowing that in a few minutes I'll warm back up and fall asleep. The comforter is there off to the side if I just can't stand it. I try to get warm and then take off the comforter, but usually I am dead asleep before that happens. And then I start all over again.

I think our thermostats are out of whack. This is one of the first symptoms I noticed long before I was diagnosed with FMS and RA. The night sweats and sweating from very little exertion. If I do the least little bit of physical activity, like carrying some boxes, I'm redfaced and my hair is actually wet.

It's embarrasing, so I think I noticed sweating more than freezing. But I've had the freezing thing too for just as long. I'm the one with a jacket on an 80 degree day, just in case I get cold.

Have you had that experience or is it just the night thing? I don't have the skin burning, but burning skin sounds like nerve pain. Is it all over, or does it start somewhere and spread? I'm also wondering how old you are. Menopause would explain a lot of it.

Hope this helps some,

Abbycat
  10. sixtyslady

sixtyslady Member

thanks guys.
    this isn"t hot flashes ,I had them 10 yrs ago,but I will have one now and then.

this is like my body is all out of control.
    the burning skin is mostly, my shoulders and back,thats where I have most of my pain.and yes it does turn red and very hot. my hubby can even feel it when he puts lotion on my back, he says it feels like I have a fever.but I don"t .
    it also feels like little pins all over my back.
    thanks for the tips .
    my hubby bought me a down filled comforter.because there so lite on your body,feels like a cloud,really helps with the pain, but it makes me get hot.
    I hate to tell him. sixtyslady
  11. MargaretOB

MargaretOB New Member

I go through this alot. At one point, it was hot flashes from menopause, but now I have noticed that if I have too much sugar that day, especially in the evening, the sweats are bad. I have to change my nightgown because my skin gets so cold I get the chills and then the muscles tense up. I put a towel on my pillow and that helps.

So you might try noting what you eat, and if a night is really bad, maybe there's something in the foods that can trigger it.

Sweet Dreams,
    Margaret
  12. ALL THE TIME! wHAT'S UP WITH THAT? I figured its that time MENOPAUSE! YIKES! But?
  13. saddlebred

saddlebred New Member

I go to bed freezing and wake up HOT! Four years ago I was pre-menopause. I started having "morning sweats", it always happened while I was getting dressed for work. I would get soooo hot I would stick my head in the freezer. Now I get them more during the night and in the afternoons. I go to bed layered in blankets with a fan running because I know I'll wake up hot later on. I don't lose as much sleep since all I have to do is flip the cover back.
  14. dragon06

dragon06 New Member

This has been happening to me a lot lately. It's driving me crazy!!!! I also get the weird feeling of being hot and cold all at the same time. My internal thermostat is always off and my temperature is always buggy.

15. Gothbubbles

Gothbubbles New Member

donnaeil:

I guess you mean to tell me I'm getting Menopause at 25, and have been since I was 18.

I get rapid hot and cold cycles even while I'm awake, though I get sweats at night which lead to being cold, which leads to more blankets, more sweating, and more being cold. Etc.

Not everyone with cfs is middle-aged or perimenopausal.

I try to sleep on my stomach when I'm cold, and I switch to my back when I'm hot. Sleeping on my tum holds the warmth in, sleeping on my back lets it escape.
  16. SusanEU

SusanEU New Member

I not only have problems with night time temp changes, but also in the daytime, I can go from cold to hot and vice versa in minutes.

I know I am not in menopause because I had my hormones checked.

I'm sure it's all part of this fibro thing wreaking havoc with our systems.

God Bless

Sue in Ontario
  17. So, totally not related to menopause, nor peri-menopause, pre or whatever...I have NO idea what STOPPED it for me, I only know that I thank GOD. I had bouts every single night for close to a year, and for the last 4-5 months of it, I was absolutely SOAKING the bed, pillow, sheet, thin cotton tank top, etc I slept in. I slept with a towel under me, because it was sooo horrible,

As bad as my neck can hurt from arthritis, the last thing I wanted was something cold around it, but, I was desperate, I couldn't sleep going through this over, and over, and over every single night/day --I started taking hubby's ice packs for his cooler for work, and putting them under a towel, under my neck/around my shoulders...still no help.

And then yes, I'd wake up absolutely wringing wet with sweat, and shiver--but still feel hot, and my brain would say 'cover up' I absolutely did not know what to do. Doctors were NO help..

But, I went through several things at the same time, 1.) long bout of steroids, 2.) 6wks of a nasty cold, and 3.) started, continued birth control pills...

for some reason--the horrible drenching sweats stopped! THANK YOU GOD!

My integrative med doc had suggested Progesterone cream, but, I was put on pills, due to an ovarian cyst (that I've had for over 6 yrs now---pills ain't gonna 'shrink it doc!') but, I don't want to quit them, even with some problems with them, in case they ARE what stopped the madness.

Hope you all can figure something out, that is HORRIBLE to wake up that way(repeatedly!)

God bless,

Laura
  18. nonnietimes3

nonnietimes3 New Member

I can't believe it. This is actually happening to someone else. I live in Central NY (very cold) I have to put a fan on when this happens then I have to turn it off, because I so darn cold. What is this?? I just turned 60 and no menopause here that's been taken care of years ago.(hysterectomy). Glad I not alone.
    nonnietimes3
  19. mafusula

mafusula New Member

I get it all day and night at times. I doesn't happen everyday though thank goodness.
  20. Gothbubbles

Gothbubbles New Member

donnaeil:

I noticed you edited your post about menopause.

I'm glad to see that.