Does anyone grow ORCHIDS for a hobby?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by fibrofirend44, Feb 12, 2006.

1. fibrofirend44

fibrofirend44 New Member

Hello all...I know it is winter time and most of you have that white stuff to clean up after the bad weather up north..but I was wondering if anyone out there grows orchids...I do and it is an awesome thing to do. It takes time and patience...so if you are looking for something to past time, maybe take on a hobby. I have about 15 orchids now....most where passed down by friends...I am soooooo happy.
  2. bigmh

bigmh New Member

I just replied to your Tiger Balm question, and here I am again! YES, I have recently started loving orchids (since we were in Hawaii in November). We visited a 4th generation orchid farm on Oahu while we were there, and with their help, I picked out 2 orchids, medium-light requirers. Then after we were home, they shipped them to me!

I was so excited for them to come, and have recently purchased another from Wal-Mart. Both of the orchids that came from Hawaii are still blooming...lilac and white. Every time I go to the kitchen sink, I look at the orchids behind and travel back to Hawaii!!! What a fun thread....where do you keep all of yours?

Blessings, Ann
  3. karatelady52

karatelady52 New Member

I grow them in a bay window in my house. I use to think I wanted a green house. years ago my grandmother had a greenhouse and had over 1,000 orchid plants. She was always taking cuttings to patients in the hospital.

I like to see them in the window plus I only have around 19 of them.

The Phals are all about to bloom in a couple of weeks. I also have one Cattlaya blooming two huge white orchids.

Once you get the bite, you can't get enough of them.

Sandy
  4. Lindy2

Lindy2 New Member

OrchidDave specializes in Orchids and he has his own website. You can do a search using his name on our boards to pull up his profile about Orchids.

Lindy
  5. CAAnnieB

CAAnnieB New Member

Can I pick your brains about my poor orchid?!

I received a beautiful Phal. orchid as a gift in Nov. 2003. It bloomed a long time. The flowers fell off & I read that I should let the stem dry & shrivel before cutting it off. It took a LONG time, but eventually I snipped off the stem. The plant grew new leaves & I was so excited!

BUT...it never grew another stem & the roots above the soil/planting material started looking really icky. I decided to perform some root amputation & repotted the plant last summer.

The poor plant has been doing nothing...Leaves started to droop...I thought I was going to lose the plant. Then, just in the past month, I cleaned the dust off the leaves & moved the plant to near my kitchen sink & window. It has grown 6 new roots & has a new baby stem!!!

The leaves are still droopy tho'. Do you think that I should repot it? I'm thinking that the orchid medium I used is too barky...What do you guys use for planting material?

I really want to get this plant back to good health! Is it possible? How long do they live? Should I just give up & buy a new one?

Thanks for any advice!

Hugs,
    Annie
  6. elsa

elsa New Member

But I am impressed with anyone who does. They are so beautiful .... but so delicate. The poor things don't have a chance in heck around me.

I need to admire them from afar for their own safety!

Take care,

Elsa
  7. bigmh

bigmh New Member

Hi Annie...I have already posted that I am really NEW at orchids, but I will relate the 2 things that the orchid farm told me:

1. Light is important...you have to have the right kind of light matched with the right kind of orchid. I have a wonderful corner of windows behind my kitchen sink (north and east), and I can grow beautiful African Violets there. I told them that, and the orchid people said that that told them that I have a medium-light location and should therefore chose a medium-light orchid. They showed me where to look for these. So I guess light is critical.

2. They said most people overwater their orchids. I tried once/week, but now water 2X/week. They came with stones, lava rock, bark, etc. in the pots to keep the moisture up, I think. I only water until the water begins to run out the bottom.

3. Oh one more thing...they told me not to repot them for at least a couple of years. I have roots growing out of one of the pots, but they said to wait.

So there is my full knowledge of orchids! Hope that some of this has helped. Good luck...Ann
  8. Empower

Empower New Member

Funny you should say this because I am reading a book called the Orchid Thief and I thought that maybe I might like trying to grow them!!!
  9. CAAnnieB

CAAnnieB New Member

Thanks for your advice! Before I repotted my orchid last year; I researched orchid care on the Internet. I followed all the detailed instructions when I repotted...I'm thinking that my plant was probably doing lousy because I moved it into a darker area. I also got out of routine on my watering schedule. I read that you are to water weekly & fertilize (Orchid food) weakly at every watering. I fell out of that routine too!

My plant is definitely happier in the kitchen, so I guess I just need to be better about watering/ fertilizing. I'm encouraged by it's new growths!

I LOVE the orchids! They are such beautiful flowers! I hope my plant comes back to life & blooms again. If not; I'll just have to go buy another!

Hugs,
    Annie

10. bigmh

bigmh New Member

Hi...glad the info helped. It is just amazing what we can learn on this board!!!

Hopefully yours will come back and bloom, but if not, I just bought a new orchid at Wal-Mart for $11!! It was in bloom already, and has lovely, deep purple blooms. My next goal is to learn the names of the darn things!

It is fun to talk about something else besides our health, huh? Keep in touch...your orchid friend, Ann
  11. CAAnnieB

CAAnnieB New Member

$11 ?!!!!! At Wally World?!!! I think I better go get me a new one that I can enjoy right now while I'm trying to resurrect my old one!

Thanks!

Hugs,
    Annie
  12. fibrofirend44

fibrofirend44 New Member

Hello all, again...I appreciate all of your replies and good advice. I am just starting with this orchid growing fever and so far its been fun. The other day I met this lady from Thailand..She, and her husband, grow orchids, and they have over 2,000 orchids!! They grow and sell them and also they do shows. I was amazed. They gave me a few tips, and some freebies too. I also had an opportunity to go to an orchid society meeting the other day...wow! I had no idea they had that over here...I live in Central Florida, USA. It was very informative, and rewarding too. I went home with a beautiful orchid and got it dirt cheap. That night they had a talk about cattleas...it was really interesting. So I have started my new hobby...hope to talk orchid again with a few of you. Take care and have a feel-better than good day. fibrohugs too.
  13. CinCA

CinCA New Member

I got three as gifts over the years, and I am happy to say that one cymbidium is finishing a gorgeous, double-stalk bloom cycle, and another cymbidium and a phaleonopsis are putting out new bloom stalks. My last one is my newest and is getting some yellow leaves...not sure what's up. I moved it to a sunnier location (still trying to figure out placement in the new house). I think they are all blooming because when we were shopping realtors, one (who actually was a "friend") said I'd have to get rid of all of them or let a neighbor keep them and get something "brighter" because they were all green and ugly. Seriously, about 2 weeks after that, my one orchid started growing not one bloom stem, but two...something I've never seen before.

I keep mine in the open orchid pots (got mine at Home Depot) with orchid bark. I try to water them 1x a week (but may need to up it as we are in a drier climate now), with a light liquid fertilizer applied each time after I've soaked the bark. It seems to work for me, except that sad one, which I hope I can nurse back to health.

I so love the tropics and long for the time I can plant orchids in the wild (outdoors), when we retire to our little spot on a tropical island far, far away (if I ever get over CFS)! But for now, my little indoor ones are a nice reminder of our vacations in paradise.

Good post...nice change to a pleasant subject. Gardening and seeing something thrive helps my spirit immensely.

Thanks!
    C.