does anyone grown organic food.?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by sixtyslady, Mar 11, 2008.

1. sixtyslady

sixtyslady Member

just wondering if anyone growns their own garden?

WE"ve decided to get some chickens and raise our own eggs and chickens.
    WE"ve also decided to buy a half of beef from a farmer.
    after reading about our food supply it just scares me ,not to mention the price of food.
    my hubby and I where both raised on the farm and always had our own veggies and meat.
    and we felt so much better, back then. I just think we need to get back to basic.
    hoping we can incourage our kids to join in and get the grandkids eating better.
    would love to hear from anyone else thats raising chickens.
    sixtyslady
  2. mollystwin

mollystwin New Member

I looked into chickens, but our city prohibits them for subdivisions. But I do have a small organic garden each year. It's fun and healthy to eat what we've grown ourselves.
  3. sixtyslady

sixtyslady Member

so we"re zoned ag,but I know a lady who lives right in town and raise,s chickens and so far she,s not had anyone complain.
    we have 7 acres,alot of it is wooded area,but my husband and son have cleared alot of the dead trees out and we use it for firewood and sell wood to a hardware store in town that they sell to campers.
    I"m hoping I can sell eggs,but will have to figure out a price for them.
    We also have horses and show them in the summer and help our Grandson with 4H.
    My Grandpa always planted his potatos on Good Fri,but this year its not going to be warm enough here in the midwest.
    can use all the tips I can get on raiseing chickens,so hope someone can give me some.
    thanks sixtyslady
  4. sixtyslady

sixtyslady Member

I didn"t know if anyone would be into organic foods.

It just seems to me we all are working so hard to stay healthy,taking our vitamins and such that pure food would be great.
    I bought the magazine Mother earth news,its great like I said we"ve always raised a garden,but now we're both retired and we have more time so why not raise chickens.
    we love fish ,but its hard to find fish in the stores that do not come from China,and I won"t buy anything that comes from China.
    I just think that we all would have less problems if we could get fresh foods.
    I will keep you posted. sixtyslady
  5. bct

bct Active Member

I eat as much organic as I can, and am trying to grow more vegs. this year, both for fun and to save money. I shop at the weekly farmer's market in the summer. I can buy organic local eggs from the local health-food store, and both my food markets have organic produce sections in them. It is too bad that the organic selections are more expensive than non-organic. I have too little energy to grow much; hopefully I can find someone local to give me a hand.

I don't raise chickens, but I think it is a great idea for you and your husband. Nothing beats a farm fresh egg with a really golden yolk, not those icky pale yellow watery store eggs! Good luck, sixtyslady; you should have fun choosing your chicken varieties, there are so many. I like brown eggs myself, so I guess for me that would be Rhode Island Reds or something, wouldn't it?

Regards,
    Barry
  6. tansy

tansy New Member

in pots in my city backyard.

i used to live in a typical english village. we did not keep chickens but we could buy eggs and chicken from others locally. my son would only eat Happy Eggs.

growing our own food organically does not just mean avoiding chemicals it also provides us with much higher levels of essential nutrients.

tc, tansy
  7. sixtyslady

sixtyslady Member

yes I"m looking forward to getting chickens, I think it will be Rhode Island Reds.their suppose to be good egg producers.
    Our garden will probably have the reg veggies,tomatos, green beans,corn,beets, egg plant, cucumbers,and maybe a few more things.
    Hoping I can turn the chickens out for free range in the day time and then they"ll come back to the chicken house at night.but my son is going to build a fenced in area till we see how things go. have a good day .its still cold here.
    sixtyslady
  8. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

...I have been off line for almost a year but am back now. We always grow organic. Used to have our own small organic farm with goats chickens etc. in Cornwall Uk years ago.

We grow our own organics but a good way to do this is join a CSA (Community Suported Agriculture) whereby you pay a fee and get a box of organic veg/fruit goodies each week. We have good farmers markets here and roadside stands some of which are organic or pesticide free.

I think the thing people need to watch is chicken as most (except Tyson and Coleman and a couple of others) all have antibiotics riddling through them. They stopped hormones in chickens but most milk the cows are given hormones which passes to you. Y'all know about pesticides.

Organic food is well worth the extra time. Even if it just a few things. Organic feed for chickens has gone quite expensive, and we find it cheeper!!!(pun) to buy organic free range eggs locally for $2.00 a dozen. Most laying birds are not good to eat, although you can get cross breeds that serve both. As a fish/egg eating vegetarian(oxymoron there)I just used layers.

Good luck, Love Annie and nice to "chat" with you again.
  9. mollystwin

mollystwin New Member

And thanks for the organic advice.

dar
  10. sixtyslady

sixtyslady Member

I"ll have to check into.a community and see if they offer anything as far as plants and seeds.
    I"m going to get RHode Island Reds. for layers.
    and since my hubbys retired we can have a much larger garden.
    We do have a nice Farmers market here in our small town
    so that will help.
    I just feel that our small 7 acres should help us produce
    a good amount of food.
    Can hardly wait for the weather to warm up.
    have a good one
    sixtyslady