Does anyone have a bad reaction to Maltitol

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by swedeboy, Dec 29, 2006.

1. swedeboy

swedeboy Member

I was wondering if anyone has any bad reactions to Maltitol and or anyone has any info on it. I have heard many bad things about artificial sweetners such as nutrasweet and splenda. But I can't find anything about the affects of Maltitol. I recently bought some sugarfree chocolate almonds and they are sweetened with maltitol. Does Maltitol contribute to candida and or raise one's insulin levels? Any info would be great........
  2. revlcb

revlcb New Member

Other than Maltitol causing excessive bloating/gas/diarrhea in just about eveyone who eats it, I haven't heard of any toxicity levels. I'm sure they exist, I just haven't heard of it.

I have read that Maltitol should be counted as 1/2 of the carb count if you're looking for the effects on blood sugar levels. For instance if you read that there are 20gm. of sugar alcohols, count 10gm. carbs. If you're diabetic I'd recommend you check your blood after just one piece to see if this effects your sugar levels as people experience different results with different amounts.

Lisa
  3. swedeboy

swedeboy Member

Thanks for the feed-back.

Yeah I am not diabetic, however I am sugar sensitive, so I was wondering how Maltitol affects someone. I have had candida in the past and I don't want it to come back, so I try to avoid added sugar, and also stuff like fruit juice. I wonder if maltitol contributes to candida? Also I am curious about any negative side-effects from maltitol........
  4. swedeboy

swedeboy Member

Huh...No one knows anything about maltitol? Many people have things to say about slpenda and nutrasweet, but what about maltitol.

Trader Joes has these sugar-free chocolate covered almonds, and they taste heavenly. They are sweetened with maltitol, and I am wondering if they are too good to be true?

I avoid sugars becuase of candida, and I avoid artificial sweetners like splenda and nutrasweet because I have read many negative things about them. But I can't find any substantial info about the affects of Maltitol. My main concern is if it contributes to candida, and if it has any other negative aspects on the body.
  5. minimonkey

minimonkey New Member

It seems that a few, rare individuals have an insulin response to maltitol, (and the other sugar alcohols...)but most do not. A lot of us, however (like me) do get horrendous digestive problems from maltitol (think food poisoning, and that is no joke!)

I'd rather eat sugar, frankly, and risk the yeasty consequences....
  6. swedeboy

swedeboy Member

I get a little indigestion from matltitol, but it's not that bad.
  7. swedeboy

swedeboy Member

I keep trying to pull up some dirt on maltitol, but the only thing I can come up with is that it often only causes bloating, gas, etc.
    With all the sugar-free people on this site I would think someone would know more about this sugar substitute.
  8. swedeboy

swedeboy Member