Does anyone have a Deviated Septum along with sinus infection

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by marilynb, Feb 9, 2007.

1. marilynb

marilynb New Member

I just posted this on the Sinus board, but thought I would post here, for more input:

Has anyone been told they have a deviated septum? Does this make it hard to breath? I went to the ER a couple of days ago because I felt like I couldn't breath. They gave me a breathing treatment.

I went to an ENT yesterday for my first visit, because of chronic congestion & he told me I have a bad sinus infection along with a pretty bad deviated septum.

I am now on a strong antibiotic & steriods. He said if the meds don't work for the sinus infection, I will have to have surgery. He said, while he's in there, he will repair my deviated septum. I really hope the meds work, because I really don't want to have surgery.

He looked in my nose & down my throat with a scope & also said I have a lot of junk on my vocal cords, including pus. I know, I'm sorry that's gross.

I have had this chronic congestion now since October 2005. I sure am glad I finally went to the ENT. Maybe this will finally get taken care of.

Then all I have to worry about is FM, Osteoarthritis & Osteoporosis.

Sorry for the rant. Just had to get this out & this is really the only place I can come & do that. No one else understands...

Marilyn

2. marilynb

marilynb New Member

3. Kellyslaw

Kellyslaw New Member

Hi Marilyn: I had a deviated septum and severe sinus infections for years. I had a rhinoplasty and sinus surgery on November 17th. I know how awful it feels. The surgery was difficult, probably because of the fibro, but I am glad that I had it. I have not had a sinus infection for almost 2 months (that is a record). I also spent months on antibotiics and steriods.

It will be o.k. Just find a great ENT.

Good Luck,
    Kelly
  4. Jack3

Jack3 New Member

B4 always had "sinus cold"
    Haven't had a cold since, not even the flu.

Hurt like way bad for a rather long time (week). Now 3 years later, glad I did it, helps with the sleep apnea/cpap.
  5. marilynb

marilynb New Member

I appreciate the replies.

This helps.

Marilyn
  6. skikat

skikat New Member

i was told several years go that i have a hole in my septum from so many sinus infections. was once on antibiotics for 18 months straight! now cant get antibiotics to work for me, such as biaxin, ceflex, all of the top ones. i still have a constant sinus infection. dr. told me that the sinus infection was what causes part of my severe headaches as the lining of the brain becomes infected from the sinuses. he never has told me what to do aboout it, and i need help. anyone have any advice? thanks andd i hope this helps someone else in the same condition.
  7. skikat

skikat New Member

i was told several years go that i have a hole in my septum from so many sinus infections. was once on antibiotics for 18 months straight! now cant get antibiotics to work for me, such as biaxin, ceflex, all of the top ones. i still have a constant sinus infection. dr. told me that the sinus infection was what causes part of my severe headaches as the lining of the brain becomes infected from the sinuses. he never has told me what to do aboout it, and i need help. anyone have any advice? thanks andd i hope this helps someone else in the same condition.
  8. marilynb

marilynb New Member

Have you been to an ENT? Mine told me, if the meds don't work, he will do surgery by going into & cleaning out all the junk. Have you ever been told that? Have you ever had a scope done?

I sure found out a lot more from this Dr. than any of the other ones have told me.

Hope this helps.

Marilyn
  9. pearls

pearls New Member

Huck, they actually have kits for sinus rinses? I use a baby ear syringe. A kit is a good idea, I think, because there are no instructions for sinus rinsing packed with a baby ear syringe, of course, and one has to be careful to keep it clean. I believe in rinsing, though some ENTs don't like their patients doing it.

As to the main question in this thread, I have a deviated septum and used to have three or four big sinus infections every year. In fact, one of those infections was the trigger for my fibromyalgia. The interesting thing, though,is that I've had fibromyalgia for seven years, but no sinus infections (at least I don't remember any since then).
  10. Dlebbole

Dlebbole New Member

I tried sinus irrigations over and over, but it wasn't until after I had sinus surgery that they were actually effective. Now I can irrigate and it helps with congestion/pain when I get sinus headaches and infections (yes, I still get them). I can also breathe through my nose now! Hadn't been able to do that before surgery. Good luck Diane
  11. ETN

ETN New Member

It is not fun.

I had my first surgery in 95 and they were very surprised by what they found. I had a deviated septum, extremely large polyps in both sides, every sinus cavity just jam packed full of gunk.
    My dr couldn't believe it.
    I had pretty good success. I could actually breathe thru my nose, I hadn't breathed thru my nose for 23 years it was crazy.
    I then had to have surgery again in 97 and they were thinking of going thru the roof of my mouth. I was like NO WAY
    They actally installed "windows" in my sinus cavities to help them drain.
    I agree with everyone...find a good surgeon.

Mine was wonderful and had done 8 surgeries total between me and my three kids! LOL
    good luck
    I don't have problems anymore thank god.

But this is all related to all the problems we have. It seems a lot of ppl with fibro and cfs has sinus problems.
  12. pearls

pearls New Member

Thanks, Huck! I'll check it out.

Pearl S.