Does anyone have a Food Dehydrator?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by sisland, Sep 14, 2008.

1. sisland

sisland New Member

Just got one and can't wait to get started with it!,,,it's a Snak--Master Brand with the Fan in the bottom,,,,I made Jerky with it the first day and was very impressed!,,,,apples,,Bannans,,pinaple,,,Mangos,,,herbs,,,Veggies,,

another exciteing project to keep me busy,,,lolol,,,,,,if you have one,,tell me how you like it and what you dry!,,,,,,Sis
  2. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

How ya doin', Sis?

Never used a dehydrator, but I made beef jerky many years ago.

You soak it in something: soy sauce, lemon-pepper I think. Then you put it in the oven on low heat. Use a ball of aluminum foil to keep the oven door ajar.

I forget how long you leave it in the oven. 4 hours? Two weeks? A long time anyway.

Worked fine.

3. sisland

sisland New Member

I'm doin' ok Mr Rock how about you?,,,,Yes Jerky in the oven is a great thing too!,,,i didn't soak it in anything but there are alot of recipies for that and they sound so Good!,,,

i just put alittle garlic salt on it when it got done,,,took about 6 hr's in the DEh,,,,,The lemon pepper idea sounds good too!

My dad and i would Hunt every year and make Venison Jerky~~~~He dried it behinde the wood stove on a wire,,,it took about a month but wow was it Good!,,,,so needless to say i'm addicted to jerky!,,,,lolol,,,

rocky~~~Watermelon! never though of that!,,,Thanks!,,,,,,,S

4. alaska3355

alaska3355 New Member

Here in Washington, I sometimes have a bonus of fruit from orchards and peoples' I puree the fruit and spread it out in the dehydrator on plastic wrap and it makes great fruit leather. Bing cherry, apricot.......very good. Doesn't need sugar. I tried banana slices recently and they don't seem to turn out as crisp as the ones you buy. Maybe I need to cook 'em a bit longer.....

Have fun!

5. sisland

sisland New Member

Fruit leather sounds good! This one did come with a fritleather tray too,,,i had to order a seprate book that shows all about that!,,,,,i'm trying to eliminate as much sugar as possible from my diet so this is a great idea for that!,,,,,,,,Thanks for the tip!

Today i dried carrots and zuchinni,,and that took about 4 hours,,,turned out good!,,,,a new project to keep me busy ,,,,,apples and bannanas are next ,,,,,the cherry apricot sounds great!,,,,,,,Sis
  6. sisland

sisland New Member

Another idea! Thanks willow! it's amazing what they can dry!,,,Glad your pup likes the treats!,,,,S
  7. Beadlady

Beadlady Member

years ago, I bought a flat of strawberries, washed, halved them and dried them. They turned out great!!

I made the mistake of letting my husband have some of them, and then I left with a friend of mine, came home wanted her to try them. I asked my husband what he did with them and he handed me an emmpty zip bag.

I thought he was joking and no he was not joking---but the joke was on him when he realized he had just eaten a
    WHOLE flat of strawbeeries.

My friend was sad that she didn't get to try my dried stawberries, but she was laughing at hubby.

For some strange reason, my hubby doesn't like strawberries very well any more. :)
  8. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

fruit leather aka fruit roll-ups, Dave Barry believes they are the offspring of a biological mating of Kool-Aid with flypaper.

They still make that stuff? Haven't noticed any in the market for years.

I have seen tapes of fly paper at the 99 cent store though.

9. sisland

sisland New Member

Lolol,,,,Strawberry Story beadlady!,,,,Hubby must have spent some time on the you know what!,,,,,Lolol,,,,I hope it didn't discorage you from useing your dehydrator again!,.,,,,,,Thanks for your reply!,,,,,

Rock~~~Well ya know i never would of thought of fruitleather in that capacity if you hadn't brought it up!,,,,,,lolol,,,Koolaid and fly paper,,,,what a combo,,lol,,,,,

you can find fruit leather in the stores in the produce section,,,,,all wrapped up in fancy little packages,,,,,,or maybe on the isle where they have fruit snaks,,,,,,now they call them fruit roll ups,,,,,,,,S