Does anyone have a walk- in bath ?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by lrning2cope, Jul 23, 2008.

1. lrning2cope

lrning2cope New Member

I live in an apartment, but if I eventually inherit my parents house , I would love to put a walk-in bath in.

Does anyone have one ? Do you like it ? Do you think it could be covered by insurance ?

I am desperate for a warm bath again . This is embarrassing , but taking a shower takes so much energy and pain that I have cut down to about 1 a week and I used to take 1 a day. If I could walk in a tub and sit down in the water that would be heaven . I can't use a regular tub because I don't have the strength to get back out ( or in for that matter)

It would be heaven with a walk-in tub.

[This Message was Edited on 07/23/2008]
  2. bunnyfluff

bunnyfluff Member

I have seen them advertised, but do not have one. My thought was this: do you have to sit there wet while all the water drains out so you can open the door to get out???

That would stink!

3. lrning2cope

lrning2cope New Member

That would keep me from buying one for sure. The benefit from the warm water would all go away with shivering while waiting for the water to drain.
  4. tandy

tandy New Member

I never even heard of em???????
    a walk in bath??
    Hows that done??

I dream of owning a huge garden tub :)

showering does take alot of energy.
    needing to shave is even worse!!
    thats a major task for me.
  5. lrning2cope

lrning2cope New Member

A garden tub would be wonderful. You shave your legs ? Good for you . I reserve that only for special occasions!

Here is a link to the tubs so you can see what they are all about :

There are many different brands . This is just an example.

6. Juloo

Juloo Member

I keep seeing this thing advertised, but can't remember what it's is some kind of chair frame that retrofits in a regular tub. You sit on it at the height of the tub, then the chair lowers you into the water. It then reverses when you want to get out.

I'll try to see if I can find out what it's called. Have no idea of the cost!
  7. Juloo

Juloo Member

You need to do a little online searching for "bath lift". The Sonaris is the one I saw advertised, but there are several different models. On one site (which came up as a discount site), most models were in the $1000-$1100 range, list price, with the discount bringing the lifts to just below $700 at the lowest.
  8. Juloo

Juloo Member

Most of the bath lifts that I see are portable -- you just plop them in to the tub, and they 'stick' with suction cups on the bottom of the frame. And they recline!
  9. jole

jole Member

I've seen these in magazines and on tv, and have also wondered about them. The only thing negative I have noticed is that it looks like the seat does not move, which means you really are not sitting in much of the water.

Juloo, I'm more impressed with the idea of the tub lift chair....especially if it reclines also!! Too bad they cost so much...(Not to mention what my water bill would be, cause I'd be tempted to live there *LOL*)

10. lrning2cope

lrning2cope New Member

If you don't really get to immerse yourself in the water , it doesn't seem very comfortable , plus, the sitting there shivering , waiting for the water to drain.

The price of the lift seems un-attainable to me , though . If I could somehow get it covered by insurance , that would be cool . I think they would probably say that I should just take a shower, but I really would love that warm water all the way up to my neck !

Maybe what I want isn't really available. I can't 'do' hot tubs because I am a diabetic and have high blood pressure, or that might be an option.

I might just design my own soak in tub kind of thing.

11. Juloo

Juloo Member

I saw something on a couple of web sites called a "Cushion Lift". Same concept, just on an air cushion. I couldn't find a price for it on either of the two sites, but I did find a similar article for about $500.

I'll keep my eyes open.
  12. dragon06

dragon06 New Member

I would think the lift would actually be less cost than the walk in bath. When I looked at these they were quite expensive.

I am personally gonna save up (for a long time) and get a hot tub for my backyard.
    [This Message was Edited on 07/23/2008]
  13. msbsgblue

msbsgblue Member

I'd love one and have seen pics. I cannot afford one they are pricey.