Does anyone have a waterbed?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by joannie1, Feb 11, 2003.

1. joannie1

joannie1 New Member

I am curious if anyone has a waterbed. i am seriously considering getting one. My body aches and "screams" at me it seems in the morning due to a regular mattress. I was just curious if anyone does and if so you seem to feel better on it. I toss and turn and can never find comfort in my bed at night. I have good matresses it is just so painful on the old achy body of mine. I wonder if having the waterbed and the heat and such would possibly help me sleep some.
    Thanks for your input to all.
    Take care okay.
    Joannie
  2. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I have a king size Soma waterbed. It has ten tubes instead of one big bladder. There is no slosh and you can fill the tubes differently on one side than on the other. If I'm sleeping with someone, even someone much bigger than I, I cannot feel them moving on the other side. I love this bed.

There are some new foam beds, like the Nautilus (sp?), on the market which look good too, but they are soooo expensive that I would hate to buy one only to find it isn't as good as my waterbed. My waterbed is about 20 years old and it's probably time for a new one, but it's still soooooo comfortable that I don't want to part with it.

There are no pressure points with my waterbed, and sometimes, I awaken in the same position in which I fell asleep. If I take a nap on the sofa, I wake up with pain wherever there is pressure on my body.

If anyone out there has a new foam bed, I would love to hear about it.

Love, Mikie
  3. joannie1

joannie1 New Member

We had a waterbed when i was having children and then got rid of it. Now i am really regretting it because it was great for me then. I was just curious how everyone did with having them with this DD. Our mattress now has the big pillow top plus I have a big cover on it on top of it but is still gives me no comfort and my hips hurt so bad in the mornings. I just think all the time how nice it would be to have the coosh of the waterbed to form aroun my body apposed to my body trying to adjust to my mattress.

I think I'm on a mission, gonna get me another water bed :)
    Hubby just rolls his eyses and says whatever Dear....

Thanks everyone.
    Joannie
  4. SharonR

SharonR New Member

I have the "Swedish mattress topper", about 4 inches thick, and it is heavenly to sleep on. But it has to be repositioned every six months.
    We had the tube water bed. but when I started having a reaction to mold spores causing allergy like symptoms, had to forgo it.
    My next venture will be the Nautilus, we tried the select comfort air but kept each other up all night with the constant whirr of adjusting the bed, (mainly me)
    I would like to know if anyone has had success with the NSS.
    Smiles
    Sharon
    I-)
  5. JannyW

JannyW New Member

My ex-husband & I had a waterbed, and boy did I miss it when we separated!! The heat from the bed really eased the aches & pains ... I didn't realize how much until I started sleeping on a "dead bed." The only reason I didn't take it when I left is that my bedroom is on the 2nd floor ... not sure I trust this new construction with all that weight!

Jan ^v^
  6. s43

s43 New Member

For the past month i have tried every bed under the sun,after much thought i am taking delivery tomorrow of a Refexion Foam bed.When exposed to heat,Reflexion uniquely moulds itself around you,this helps to avoid pressure on the crutical parts of the body subjected to compression.The body weight is then spread more evenly across the whole surface area of Reflexion in contact with the user.It isnt cheap,it has cost 1,000 pounds but to have a good nights sleep,i didnt give it a thought,also hubby says if i sleep then he can to.SHARON
  7. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Please let us know how the bed works out for you.

Love, Mikie
  8. Revella

Revella New Member

My husband and I have a 98% waveless waterbed. It is a lifesaver. Ours is about 15 years old so I 'm sure it will have to be replaced soon. Sleeping on it doesn't stop the pain of this DD but it helps some. I'm like the others that posted, I really have problems when I have to sleep somewhere else on any bed soft or hard. I think you would like it.
    Revella
  9. NANCEA

NANCEA New Member

HAVE ANY OF YOU SLEPT ON A SELECT COMFORT MATTRESS? THEY ARE WONDERFUL! WE BOUGHT ONE ABOUT A YEAR AGO AND IT IS VERY COMFORTABLE. WE EACH HAVE THE CONTROL TO MAKE IT SOFT OR FIRM. YOU SLEEP ON AIR. YOU DON'T HAVE ANY PRESSURE POINTS LIKE YOU HAVE WITH A REGULAR MATTRESS. THEY ARE A LITTLE EXPENSIVE,BUT NOT ANYMORE THAN A GOOD REGULAR ONE.
    NANCY
  10. Bambi

Bambi New Member

and I put my baffled feather mattress on top of that. It's heaven for me!
    We did have to use less water to make up for my husbands weight, so that I
    would still get the softness I need.
    It's only been about 2 months since
    I got off my regular pillow top mattress that was torture, so I'd added 2 regular feather mattresses and the baffled one on top of that to
    make it comfortable. I got mine from
    QVC (the feather beds) and also the
    covers that keep allergins from sneaking through from the feathers.
    Works great for me! Hugs, Bambi
  11. joannie1

joannie1 New Member

We bought a waterbed this week and are picking it up tomorrow. it has coils in it and such so i hope and pray it works out. My Hubby, (he can be a dear when he wants to) said it this doesn't give me comfort then this spring we are building a bedroom for our oldest son in the basement and we will put it down there for him and we will get an air bed select comfort bed. They have them here in town and both sides are adjustable to your sleep comfort. They are very expensive though but he said he didn't mind as long as i find comfort and can sleep it is worth the money.

As for the feather mattress. Hubby's allergic to feathers but, he better be good to me, now that I know there out there. Just kidding:), I wouldn't do that.
    Take care,
    Joannie
  12. sybil

sybil New Member

i had a 60 day trial with a Tempur mattress and pillows.
    i was told it would take several days to adjust to it,but then it would provide painfree sleep.loads of satisfied customers etc.

i wish!

i spent 5 nights of hell,no sleep.so i got rid of the pillow and used my own feather one.but my body was in agony.
    yes,the heat from my body moulded the mattress to the shape of my body,but that didn't stop me from tossing and turning and pressure point pain.
    things got so bad,my partner ended up sleeping on the Tempur mattress for the rest of the 60 day trial.while i slept on a futon with a spring mattress on top.while that wasn't ideal,it was lots more comfortable than the heat sensitive foam one.thank god i didn't decide to spend £1,000
    on it!

it seems i'm fated never to get a good nights sleep,

sybilxxx
  13. Kurt

Kurt New Member

I have done a lot of research on this subject. There has also been a lot of good sleep research in this area. I have found that of the three, a spring mattress is the worst. I have read that waterbeds can be good for FM because of the heat and fewer pressure points. However, waterbeds are bad for your lower back. Most of the research I have come across clearly shows that an air mattress is the best. They have the fewest pressure points. You can always add a heating pad or wire/wireless heating blanket to the air mattress. Anyways, research has shown that people who sleep on an air mattress suffer from less pain than the other two. Also, people on air mattresses toss and turn less and wake up fewer times during the night. Everyone is different, and maybe you will like one more than another. I bought an air mattress, and I love it. It is probably the best thing I have ever purchased. However, it cost a lot of money. I figured it was a good investment considering the whole sleep disorder thing that people with FM suffer. Also, you can adjust the amount of air in the mattress based on what you like, i.e. a hard bed or soft bed. Plus look at this way, you probably spent AT LEAST 1/3 of your life, if not more, in the bed your purchase, it is worth spending extra money for in my opinion. My girlfriend was skeptical about spending a lot on a bed, but she caved in because of my FM. She even loves the bed too!

Kurt

14. nancyw

nancyw New Member

Hi Joannie: I have had a waterbed since 1987 and wouldn't give it up for the world. When I sleep on anything else, I can hardly get up because my hips and back hurt so badly. The heat of the waterbed is great, too. I will never switch to anything else!! Nancyw
  15. teach6

teach6 New Member

For those who didn't see this yesterday.

Barbara
  16. Bambi

Bambi New Member

keep the allergens from passing through really DO work. Just to be
    sure since I'm allergic to the dander from feathers, I put TWO of the covers on my feather bed and I have NO problems at all. They can be found
    on QVC or Target stores that I know
    of, probably most any bedding department. Hugs,Bambi
  17. joannie1

joannie1 New Member

Last night was our first night in the waterbed, I slept sooo sound. i am so glad that I got this. I woke with not near as much pain and discomfort as i normally do and Hubby could barely get me awake actually before he left. I am soo glad we got it. Just wanted everyone to know, and thanks for all the replies.
    Big Hugs,
    Joannie
  18. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I've had this one for almost 20 years and the foam cover is starting to hollow out even though I spin it top to bottom (can't turn it over). I may just get a feather bed top as I have put Mom's twin one over the side I sleep on and it is heaven. Would be a lot cheaper than buy a new waterbed. The SOMA tube-type beds are wonderful but difficult to find in a small town like this. I probably will have to have it delivered from the factory if I ever get a new one.

Love, Mikie

[ advertisement ]