does anyone have anemia?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by charlenef, Sep 3, 2006.

1. charlenef

charlenef New Member

i have read that cmp is caused by lack of oxygen to the muscles. i have thalassemia anemia and i was just reading how your blood does not give you enough oxygen to carry through your body.do you think theres a link? i think so charlene
  2. Sandyz

Sandyz New Member

Yes, I have anemia. The first appeared when I was a little kid. I had it again before I had my hysterectomy. When I went to the FFC the doctor there said I had it again and is treating me with an iron made just for what my body needs. I am curious too how many of us have it.
  3. Aeronsmom

Aeronsmom New Member

I have it too, I have had it for about 6 yrs now.

Love, Ann
  4. Windytalker

Windytalker Member

Have had it most of my life until I had my hysterectomy. But, it's still on the low end of the test scale. I also believe there can be a connection, as you've mentioned, for some.

However, I have to use oxygen on occasion and have never felt it gave me more energy at all. It does help lower my heart rate which is my main concern. When the body doesn't get enough oxygen, the heart tries to compensate. If it isn't supplemented, the heart can get overworked. And, that isn't good.....
  5. eeyoreblue02

eeyoreblue02 Member

I was diagnosed a few years ago when I was losing so much blood due to endometriosis.

Linda
  6. charlenef

charlenef New Member

is differant than regular anemia ive had it my whole life. it was inherrited from my grandfather. it is mostly in italian or mediteranian people. iron does not work because i am not lacking iron. my red blood cells are just being destroyed too fast although it shows up in a blood test like your lacking iron.i am starting to think this is why my cmp is so bad. thanks for the feed back charlene
  7. AnjieCFSFM

AnjieCFSFM New Member

but...I have 'hyperplasia' and was bleeding heavily for a year(afraid of doctors...wonder why?LOL!.) The doctors haven't said anything to me about having it,as of yet...~*Anjie*~
  8. s--raquel

s--raquel New Member

Charlene...Hi! I've been anemic off and on for 14 years and
    then last yr it got so bad I had to have iron infused and started giving myself B12 shots monthly.My iron levels have
    finally gotten back to normal...I just knew this would take
    care of most of my CFS symptoms!...But it didn't!! I do feel a little better and seem to be fighting off infections
    a little better.

Dr told me that severe B12 defiency causes irreversable mental fog, memory loss, and much more...so i'll never be as good as I was! So do everything you can to get levels up
    as soon as you can!!

I believe there is a link too! And I pray there will be a
    way to recover some of what i've lost!!! My memory is so
    bad that I find myself doing unsafe things!!! (Which side
    of the road do I drive on!!!ETC!!!Scary stuff!!!
  9. angelfoo

angelfoo New Member

Hi Charlene,
    I understand what your saying about your type of anemia. I have been anemic for so long I can't remember.

My ob-gyn did an a procedure to help with heavy bleeding as they thought that was what was causing my anemia. Well, the procedure helped with the bleeding but not the anemia.

I have taken iron supplements nothing brings my count up. I have low white and low red counts. I could never donate blood because they always said you are anemic go eat some raisins. Ha!

It is truly baffling to me. i just posted on the Lupus board after reading over there I have every symptom they mention.

I just wanted you to know I have heard about the type of anemia you have. It is not a food issue or lack of Iron? Is that correct? i know it can leave you really wiped out.

I have never gotten any answers so I just keep on going. Still anemic and iron supplements do not help. So.. just wanted to share.
    Angela
  10. ladybird1

ladybird1 New Member

I've been anemic since childhood. I think this was the first thing I was ever officially diagnosed with. Used to get iron injections from a doctor who indicated I had smaller than usual hemoglobin (thalassemia). It not only runs in Mediterrean lineage but people of African descent as well.
    My brother, sister and my son are all anemic as well. We do not have sickle cell. Our hemoglobin is just small and does not carry quite enough O2.
    Good luck to us all CharleneF
  11. charlenef

charlenef New Member

you have this too huh. this is what i am trying to see if there is a connection between the two.since we dont have enough oxygen this is what causes problem. charlene
  12. bunnyfluff

bunnyfluff Member

for years. Nothing helped. It was because I actually had undiagnosed Celiac's Disease, which nearly killed me. Iron is a fat soluble mineral, and fat is absorbed thru the upper part of your lower intestine.

Celiac's destroys your ability to absorb nutrients by flattening the villi which collect the nutrients. Of course, no one put 2 & 2 together until it was lamost too late for me. I had cannibalized my bone marrow to stay alive.

Anemia is nothing to mess around with. Demand answers.
  13. charlenef

charlenef New Member

yes you are understanding right but also if youve been anemic your whole life ther is somthing else going on.30 million people have this in the world(thalassimia) dr are always trying to push iron without looking further into something. thanks to everyone charlene
  14. fibrohugslife

fibrohugslife New Member

Wow I have never met anyone else who has thalassemia anemia, which I have wondered if there has been a connection to my fibro and all the things that I go through.

I keep meaning to look it up and find out more information on it.

15. charlenef

charlenef New Member

cold? i freeze all the time if it is below 70deg ive never been tired from this.i always had too much energy. let me know what symptoms you have. thanks charlene
  16. angelfoo

angelfoo New Member

I will certianly look into this anemia thing about two years ago had a bone scan done on my heel and it came back with a problem bone thinning or loss I can't remember now. I can hardly walk on it now. I thought it was calcium thing never thought about anemia. I have also had this crazy bowel problems mainly diarrhea. I have so many things it is absolutely overwhelming. I do not know where to begin with the doctors. I will look into this Thanks again.
  17. bunnyfluff

bunnyfluff Member

that you have bowel problems, too. And depression. How classic to a food allergy problem, and yet it is the last place Dr's will look.

It was all I had for years. Then some weight loss. They gave me Prozac, acted like I was just nuts. Then it got so bad I needed a blood transfusion to stay alive. They looked for everything, bone marrow cancer, Lupus, you name it. It was Celiac's. Just an allergy to wheat. But the damage to my body was done.
  18. angelfoo

angelfoo New Member

I am going to check this out. I have blown up like a balloon. I have not lost weight. Gained alot of weight in a short period of time. Antideppresants make me have night sweats so bad that I can't take them. Thanks again, I will keep you posted.
    Angela