Does anyone have AVN the bone death disease?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by pec, Jul 25, 2006.

1. pec

pec New Member

I am new to board. Was recently diagnoised with avascular necrosis. I had a hip replacement 6yrs. ago and Drs. thought is was osteoporosis, now I need a shoulder replacement but they want me to hold off as long a possible because I am in my fifties and will have to be redone if I live to an elderly age. I have some osteo. and have fibromyalgia. Does any one know how to manage the avn and fibro together. Thank you so much for any help.
  2. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

I never heard of this so I am bumping for you in case someone has. I am so sorry. I also wanted to welcome you to the board. Keep bumping up your post as the board is moving fast today. Just press reply and type in bump.

Love Anne Cromwell
    [This Message was Edited on 07/25/2006]
  3. Cinlou

Cinlou New Member

Pec,

Welcome to the board....I don't have AVN..but I thought I would bump you back to the top....fill out your bio, that way we can know a little more about you....glad you found the massage board....sorry you have those DD's....here

you go BUMP....
  4. sues1

sues1 New Member

bump.......welcome.....sorry I do not have any info for you.
    Gentle Hugs and Blessings.........Susan
  5. TAM

TAM New Member

HI

I am so sorry i can't help you anyway, i don't know anything about avn.

All i do know is that my heart goes out to you, the pain of fibromyalgia is enough but the pain your having has to be way to much. So sorry sweetie, i wish you better health.

I will also bump this up in hopes someone can help you. Take care, Tammy.
  6. TAM

TAM New Member

7. mlrarr

mlrarr New Member

Hello,
    I do not have that. I have never heard of it. What are your symptoms? How old were you when you learned you had it. I cannot think how much pain you are in!!
    I look forward to getting to know you. Post when you can.

Melinda
  8. kirschbaum26

kirschbaum26 New Member

Dear Pec:

I was incorrectly dx with AVN about 10 years ago. I am sure that you know what this disease is. The blood supply to the bone is cut off and the bone itself dies, which can cause fractures and require joint replacement. It can really cause lots of problems...so you should take it very seriously. I would think that they would have discovered that you had this when they did your hip replacement.

I had a problem with my hip...it seemed to keep on popping out of joint. I had other issues, nerve impingment, terrible muscle spasm that would cause my right leg to end up on the left side of my left leg, bad EMG test results, the start of a good limp, etc.

I had a bunch of tests done and no one was sure what was going on. So I was sent from Kerlan-Jobe clinic (orthos who take care of all LA sports teams) to Dr. Lawrence Dorr at USC, who is one of the leading doctors on hips and hip replacements. He thought I had AVN and I had to have a procedure to remove some of the synovial fluid. At first they thought I had AVN and would need a hip "re-alignment" to move the femur ball to a different place in the joint that was not damaged. He told me this was to "buy" me 10 years before I needed to have the whole thing replaced. I was just 33 at the time, so they did not want to do the replacement.

It turns out that I had a large bone spur on the femur and others in the joint. Unfortunately, to remove these bone spurs they would have had to do just about everything they do with hip replacement, and more than likely they would simply grow back. I was told to keep an eye on it...and return when the pain was so bad that I could not walk on it. That has not happened yet (knock on wood) and I still have to be careful how I sit down. If my knee is higher than my hip when I sit down, they I have a terrible time getting back up, and keeping the joint from "popping" and causing the most intense pain I have ever experienced.

Also, my leg gets numb very easily...if I stay in the same position for more than 10 minutes and if I am walking or standing. Unfortunately, when it gets numb, I tend to smack it on just about everything, so my leg is always covered with terrible bruises and cuts. Guess I am going to have to address this problem sooner or later.

Good luck, and try to hold off on having your shoulder done until it becomes unbearable...as the replacements need to be replaced every 15 years or so, and they say that they can usually only re-do the replacement a total of 3 times...depending on the joint and the bone loss...but technology is improving every year.

Ingrid