Does anyone have bad stomach problems?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by jacqualyn, Aug 11, 2006.

1. jacqualyn

jacqualyn New Member

My stomach hurts on a daily basis. I have acid reflux, Gerd, Hiatel Hernia. I take nexium, but that doesn't always work. What do you guys do? Sometimes I just don't even want to eat because I don't feel like having heatburn or constipation or anything else. I don't really even have a taste for any particular food. I even have a metal taste in my mouth sometimes? Has anyone else had this problem? What's the deal with this.
  2. jacqualyn

jacqualyn New Member

Thanks,

I'll talk to my doctors about that. I was thinking about going on one of those detox diets which is supposed to get rid of the heavy metals in your system. Kinda scared to try certain things. I have spent alot of money on infomercials that say they have the cure for fibromyalgia and a list of other illnesses. I have so many medical problems like most of the other people on this site. Beware of the infomercials!!
  3. mrdad

mrdad New Member

I've had an Hiatel Hernia for over 25 years. Have you
    tried a liquid like Mylanta to "coat" the passage way??
    I also take 20mg of Famotidine but don't really think
    it is any additional advantage for sure(??) There are
    Prescription Meds. that regulate the production of sto-
    mach acid. But maybe Nexium is one of them(??)

Just some thoughts on the subject,
    MRDAD
  4. jacqualyn

jacqualyn New Member

Hi MRDAD,

Yes nexium is supposed to keep the stomach acid down, but sometimes it doesn't work at all. I carry all kinds of stuff with me in my purse ( pepcid, tums, etc.) I had a scope and there were no ulcers. I heard that eating ginger root helps. Does anyone know anything about that?

Thanks,

Jackie
  5. cosmo220

cosmo220 New Member

I have stomach problems too and was started on Prevacid about 3 months ago. Recently, it stopped working for me. Maybe that happens with stomach meds? Not really sure, but I've just changed to Protonix and it seems to be great so far. Prevacid and Protonix are prescription and there's another called Aciphex. Maybe you can ask your doctor about trying something else?

I hope you find relief soon.
  6. zion1971

zion1971 New Member

when i first became ill, nausea and indigestion were my worst symptoms. gradually, they subsided, though i still suffer maybe once a week. hang in there. there are medicines to help the symptoms. talk to your doctor.
  7. charlenef

charlenef New Member

i have been on every med for the stomach plus mylanta2x at night.the only thing that works doesnt have anything to do with meds. i take stomach enzymes,(dgl licorice root)and guacatonga the other thing is red delicious apples (no other one works) i used to have heartburn 24/7 until a month ago. a dr on tv said these thing so i tried them glad i did .if you would like the web sites and the # let me know. charlene
  8. jacqualyn

jacqualyn New Member

Try getting the candied ginger in the spice isle at the grocery store or health food store and just chew on it if you have heartburn. It does work (Sometimes)

Hugs,

Jackie
  9. 1975jet

1975jet New Member

I have IBS along with allergies to milk products- also get heart burn- I have Nexium but it does not do anything for IBS - so I just watch what I eat- It is like a hit and miss situation... Plus I have diviticulosis so I have to beware of nuts and seeds-I love nuts,too

I found peppermint tea sometimes helps(No caffeine) and someone mentioned fennel tea which I have not tried.
    Good Luck - alot of it is about what we eat..

Jet
  10. lucky

lucky New Member

I am taking ginger pills for my various stomach problems, and they sure are helping with nausea and pain.

Best wishes, Lucky
  11. ilovecats94

ilovecats94 New Member

I have had gastroparesis since 1990. That is doing very well lately and I don't have much trouble from it.

I also got GERD and erosive esophagitis in January and waited until I had pneumonia to see a doctor about it. Went on Nexium on 4/14. Finally figured out what was causing my GERD pain. It was the Diclofenac aka Voltaren I have been taking since 1997.

You should see the side effects from that med. I finally found a website that had side effects I didn't even know about--www.drugs.com.

For the constipation I take 2 generic Equate stool softeners/simulant laxatives and they work really well. I also take Magnesium Plus from the Pro Health store 200 mg. a night. I take Jarro-Dolphius EPS from the Pro Health store. I think they all help with the constipation. No problems from them at all.

Do you take any NSAIDS or a med that could irritate your stomach/esophagus? I never realized until lately, I have been so ill with fluid in my legs/feet/hands so bad it hurt to walk and move. That was the Diclofenac.

I was getting a bad taste in my mouth, but I didn't know if it was a metal taste or what it was.

Search side effects of the meds you are taking to make sure none of them are causing you more problems.

Don't suffer like I did for 8 months because I didn't know one of my meds was causing me so very many problems. No one hinted at it. Not my family doc, not the pharmacist, no one... I had to figure this one out on my own.

Some meds can cause stomach pain, heartburn, indigestion, etc.

Good luck!

Hugs,
    Faye
  12. PVLady

PVLady New Member

I have a suggestion, have your gallbladder checked. It only takes a 10 minute ultrasound. I suffered with such indigestion etc. Yes I also have GERD and a small Hietal Hernia, and I also take Nexium.

But no matter what I took, I was getting sick all the time. When they found all the gallstones the doctors now think I will get better once the gallbladder is removed.

Gallstones can move and make you very sick. You don't always have the same symptoms. I have lost over 60 lbs, due to appetite problems. I blame the gallbladder problem.