Does anyone have crunching noises in their neck???

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia and ME & Chronic Fatigue Syndrome' started by TwinMa, May 20, 2006.

1. TwinMa

TwinMa New Member

I feel like I have sand or very small pieces of gravel in my neck.

Any time I move my head, I can hear it. Crunch, crunch, crunch.

It doesn't matter if it is up and down movement or side to side movement. It always sounds crunchy. It seems like it is focused right at the base of my skull, where my skull attaches to my spinal column.

Does anyone else hear this or am I just crazy? (I guess those are two separate questions, but I hope you know what I mean).
  2. marilynb

marilynb New Member

I hear the crunching in my neck & it hurts all the time. Do you have pain in the neck too? My knees also make the same sound. I was diagnosed having Osteoarthritis or Degenerative joint disease (along with FM) I have some bulging disk & bone spurs in the neck. Have you had an MRI to check for that?

I don't really know if that's what causes the sound, though. Kinda sounds like we could use some WD40 LOL;)

Marilyn
  3. alonebutnotlonely

alonebutnotlonely New Member

TwinMa,

Yes I have that and anyone else in the room hears it also. One of my former docs said it is "Crepidus or Crepitus". I have had 2 neck surgeries and that causes most of this but it got worse after my last car accident.

The accident was 4 years ago and was the last time I worked. My neck feels much better than it did, though not well. If I get stress or spasms in my neck(which is a lot of the time) then it goes back to being worse.

Good luck with yours. Oxycontin doesn't even touch it when it hurts really, really bad.

Dee
  4. TwinMa

TwinMa New Member

That's what I feel like I need!

I don't have pain associated with the crunching. It's just very annoying. Kind of like tinnitus, ringing in the ears. It is just always there, annoying me.

I do have muscle pain in my neck and shoulders, but that is a separate thing. I get masage therapy for that.

But the crunchinng, ARGHHH!!! Hard to ignore!
  5. kriket

kriket New Member

I recently went to the chiropractor and I asked him what the crunching noise was and he said that it was inflammation. Dunno, but that's what he told me.

Kriket
  6. ilovecats94

ilovecats94 New Member

My physical therapist said it was muscle over bone making that noise. PT was the first thing I had when I was having problems with headaches and neck pain and my family doc didn't know what was wrong.

So when I would turn my head in PT, I told the young therapist, "can you hear that noise?" She asked the head PT to come and listen and that is when she told me it was just muscle going over bone. But who knows? That was in April 1996. I still get that noise off and on now.

No, you aren't crazy, unless we both are. lol

Hugs,
    Faye
  7. claudia2

claudia2 New Member

Add me to the crunchy club. No pain, just a constant crunch as I move my neck around.

Bring on the Captain Crunch!
  8. My neck crunches and so do my knees and feet.
  9. Empower

Empower New Member

Yep, everyone in my family has the crunching noise

I have arthritis in my neck and cervical stenosis (found during MRI)
  10. TwinMa

TwinMa New Member

I had no idea so many people were experiencing the crunchy neck thing!

Capn Crunch
    Rice Krispies (snap, crackle, pop)

We're the breakfast club!

I'm going to see a new primary care doc on Tuesday, so I'll ask her about it. I have no idea what her views are on Fibro, so it should be interesting. She'll probably prescribe me an SSRI! LOL!

asatrump, that's an interesting thought about chiropractic possibly causing the crunchies, or maybe just making it worse.

Have ALL us crunchy neckers had chiropractic? I have.

prickles - what is "manky"?

11. Marta608

Marta608 Member

When it gets crunching too much I go to my chiropractor for an adjustment. Mine is from tension and a bit of arthritis.

In fact, as I sit here and move my head..... crunch. Time for an adjustment! No, they don't make it worse. We make it worse with the tension we carry there.

A rice sock or the equivelent heated in the micro is a help for tense muscles. I have a long thingie that I got from a catalog filled with rice and lavender.

Marta
    [This Message was Edited on 05/21/2006]
  12. sixtyslady

sixtyslady New Member

I"ve always had crunching in my neck. but the last year or so my neck will pop and it sounds like a gunshot in my head.
    I have so many weird things I don"t tell anyone but my husband. and you guys on the board. sixtyslady
  13. mamaeagle0103

mamaeagle0103 New Member

I have had the crunching for years. Mine does come with severe pain most of the time. It sounds like what the foley artists do to make the bone crushing sounds in horror movies. Ya know, take a big bunch of celery or lettuce and just really "crunch" it and make the disgusting noises for horror movies. Just had it happen severely the other morning, instant migraine. Hate it. Going to have a sedation CT done very soon. I want to know what is going on. Anyhoo, yes, I can relate!!!
  14. Marta608

Marta608 Member

...astratrump. By golly, you GOT there, right?

Good for you.

As for tension, we are the Queens and Kings of Tension. If we could get our tension under control, we'd be new people.

Marta
  15. ll1816

ll1816 New Member

Hi TwinMa:

Yes, I have the crunchie noises in my neck also. When I drop my chin and do a slow head roll all the way around, it sounds like a wooden wagon wheel is being slowly rolled up a fine-graveled dirt road. That's how I would describe it.

You're not alone.

Hugs,
    Liz
  16. lilaclover30

lilaclover30 New Member

My neck crunches when I turn it (can't turn it very far to the left) Look down, look up ---anywhere. Just did!!!!! I also Have FMS, OA, Spinal Stenosis, scoliosis, a horrid knee that crack and and crunches - you name it. My knee needs replacement but I too many other things to do that.

The stenosis is in L2, 3, 4, 5, and 6. It is soooo veryyy painful. My feet hurt - just anywhere you can name today.

My tension has NOT been very good the past few days too.Anyway, I crack, krackle and pop just like the rest of you.

Ever So Gentle Hugs

Joan
  17. TwinMa

TwinMa New Member

You have all done a great job of describing the crunchy neck syndrome! There were some great visuals!

asatrump - Thanks for sharing your story on your almost surgery. It helps to see the path that others have taken. That's how we all learn from each other!
  18. lovethesun

lovethesun New Member

if I rub an area on my body that's frozen up.I hear cracles a s it stqrt's to release(Even if somebody else is rubbing it out(Could the noise travel up to my head via nerves?)
    Linda
  19. Fibrolady37

Fibrolady37 New Member

i do in my neck & in my legs & feet.
    Its very painful.
    Fibrolady37.
  20. Dolphin_lover

Dolphin_lover New Member

doctor says its arthritis! I put salonpas on the bad spots at night, as my neck is usually the most painful in the morning. They do help.

Boy, I'm so sorry for everyone's pain. My "pain in the neck" started before I got CFS. I was rear ended, while stopped at a red light.

dolphin