Does anyone have Degenerative Disc??

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by angiecw71, Sep 21, 2006.

1. angiecw71

angiecw71 New Member

I have been have some really bad lower back pain into my buttocks, thigh and leg pain. I went to the doctor they sent me to get an x-ray yesterday. They called me back first thing this morning (I knew something was wrong because they don't ever call back that fast) they told me I have degenerative disc of L5 and S1. I asked her what that is the nurse said arthuritis.

Does anyone have this or know anything about it. I know I have been in alot of pain in my back and legs. I am taking hydrocodone 750mg and Flexeril 10mg. They don't help completely but the hydrocodone does ease the pain. I only take the flexeril at night it makes me feel very lethargic. I am already tierd all the time. Any info. would be appreciated. Thanks in advance for you replies.

Thanks
    Angie
  2. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

Angie:

I have the same thing and take the exact same medications you do along with Percocet.

I watch every move I make, so as to not knock anything out of place.

My fall recently reinforced this to me. I watch every move that may hurt my back in any way at all.

nyrofan
    [This Message was Edited on 09/21/2006]
  3. angiecw71

angiecw71 New Member

Thanks for the fast reply. Does yours hurt even when you are sitting. Mine can hurt laying down or either when I am sitting. Like when I was typing the first post. My lower back and right hip and leg started hurting so bad.

I am not even able to stand up for long. What about you???

Thanks
    Angie
  4. webintrig

webintrig New Member

I had a MRI done and they told me I had arthistis in my back and a disc was swollen.I was on Flexiral and another antinflammatory drug for awhile.

Two years went by I had a heel bone density test done at a health fair and it came back T-1.4 and the lady said I needed to go get a bone density test done.

Well I waited. Another year went by but I got it done. A full body bone density test. I had Osteoparosis and the scores were bad.

Well my Rhem.Dr. put me on Fosmax D and I took it for a while and 1000mg of Calcium daily and had another bone density test...a year later.

This bone density test showed that I got worse. No repairing and no reversing was taking place of this disease with me taking these drugs.

Sent to a Endocrineolgist Dr. She says the Calcium is coming out of me not absorbing in my bones...that is where I am at now. She is determine to find out why. I have no thyroid problem and I am back to taking blood tests again.

I don't know your age or medical history such as menopause or other things about you...but you might want to mention a bone density test to your dr. and see what he thinks.

I am in constant pain like you and I just took it as arthistist. I don't know what compelled me to do that heal test...a god stop....but I am glad I did it.

I pray you get relief my friend from your pain.

Praying for you,
  5. TKE

TKE New Member

Same here. DDD L5/S1. I also have a herniated disc. My back goes out all the time. Went out major on Aug. 28th & I ended up so bent over all you could see was the top of my head. Doc put me on meds & sent me to therapy. Moist heat, ultra sound & massage. I had level 10 pain shooting to my foot & non-stop muscle spasms down my legs. Therapy started me on exercises today to get my muscles back in shape. Wasn't able to do much since August, so the muscles go weak quickly.

I still have some minor lower back & calf muscle pain, but it's getting better. My back going out thru me into a major FMS flare to the point I ended up with MPS triggers in both shoulders & my neck. Had level 10 pain shooting to my hands. OUCH! Therapy has them just about calmed down now too.

Depending on the severity, how quick you bounce back, etc it can take 2-4 weeks to get rid of most of the pain & get back to normal. Rest, take your meds, use moist heat & if you can get someone to massage your lower back & legs. If you have insurance call & ask if they'll pay for therapy. Most will if rx'd by the doc.

If they start talking surgery you might want to think it out. Surgery doesn't always make it better when it comes to back problems. I've been dealing with this for 22 years now. Herniated the disc in 2004 & am stil putting off surgery.

Toy

6. angiecw71

angiecw71 New Member

I am 35 years old. I know that webintrig had asked me that question about my age I just had a birthday last month. So I am a young 35 (lol, like that makes a difference) although I sure do feel much older.

Toy, I have United Health Care through my spouses work (as I am not able to work) my doctor has mentioned the Physical Therapy for a little later. Because I am very sick right now. I have immune deficiency and have a hard time fighting infections just started a new antibiotic Levaquin which I have taken before. I really appreciate all the input and advice and will definitely do a better job about getting my rest and taking my pain meds.

Although I hate the way flexeril makes me feel. Anybody suggest a better med than that??? I am taking Hydrocodone 750mg for pain which does help. Fexeril the muscle relaxer is just making me sleep, sleep, sleep..Thanks for any suggestion on a different muscle relaxer..

Thanks,
    Angie
  7. Linky

Linky New Member

Angie, if you are meaning to say you have degenerative disc disease, that nurse was wrong. It is so much more than arthritis. It is also hereditary. My mother has had it for as long as I can remember, symptoms for her started showing in the early 70's and I also have it and am 42. Please do some research on it to get a better understanding. I will try to explain as best I can but due to the fibro fog sometimes I forget things, so please research. As you know in our spines we have soft tissues between each disc that slowly deteriate and as that happens are discs no longer have that protective soft tissue and start sitting on bone, hence the pain. Also you may want to try drinking a lot of milk. My mother was also taking the calcium and just was not getting anywhere, also the fosomax, my father made her start drinking milk each day (which she does not like so she drank chocolate milk) it took her app. 2 years of drinking lots of milk for her to start getting better results. A lot of us dont know but just taking calcium by itself does not work as our bodies tend to get rid of the man made materials more so with the milk your body will keep that vitamin D more than the medical type, sorry its hard for me to explain what Im trying to say, so please research.
  8. angiecw71

angiecw71 New Member

Thanks so much for the info. I know when she called this morning and said I had degenerative of L5 ans S1. I didn't have a clue what that was I asked her and she said it was basically arthritis. I really do appreciate you help.

My mohter died when I was 16 so I don't know much about her health problems and I dont know my dad. I do know that I never ever drink milk (yuck) but I can tolerate chocolate or strawberry milk. So I will definitely follow the advice about drinking milk and I will definitley be doing some research.Thank you, Thank you!!

Thanks,
    Angie
  9. puddin827

puddin827 New Member

Yep, I have it also.
  10. TKE

TKE New Member

>>I am 35 years old. I know that webintrig had asked me that question about my age I just had a birthday last month. So I am a young 35 (lol, like that makes a difference) although I sure do feel much older. <<

Age is just a number. It's how you feel that counts. I'll soon be 49. When I'm not in major pain or my back isn't out I feel like I'm in my 20's :). Been having back problems since I was 27. My brother, father & grandmother all had back problems too, as does my younger half sister. So it's highly possible your problem in inheriated.

As someone else said this is not arthritis. My disc actually degenerated & then slide out. It's now L" shaped. You can also get arthritis/spurs on your spine as well as DDD. X-rays may so some things where an MRI may show others.

>>Toy, I have United Health Care through my spouses work (as I am not able to work) my doctor has mentioned the Physical Therapy for a little later.<<

I'm going to a local hospital that was once run by Nuns, partially still is. I had a choice of therapy places & chose this place as the atmosphere & people are super. I find that really makes a difference. Also they have tons of equipment they use to teach you how to build up the muscles without causing more damage. The hard part is keeping up with the exercises at home. They're showing me things I can do without having to buy a room full of equipment. Another hard thing is just making yourself do the exercises at home.

>>Because I am very sick right now. I have immune deficiency and have a hard time fighting infections just started a new antibiotic Levaquin which I have taken before.<<

Perhaps your family doc can send you to someone who specializes in this area to help you get your system back on track better. I do know that since I was dx'd with Fibro I have to take 2 rounds of abx to get rid of an infection. Our bodys no longer work normal.

>>Although I hate the way flexeril makes me feel. Anybody suggest a better med than that??? I am taking Hydrocodone 750mg for pain which does help. Fexeril the muscle relaxer is just making me sleep, sleep, sleep..Thanks for any suggestion on a different muscle relaxer.. <<

Call your doc & ask him to give you a different muscle relaxer that doesn't make you so tired. Ask for samples or only get a few days worth of a new rx filled to see how it'll work for you. Most will make you tired, some knock you out. Always eat something before taking any meds unless it states to take on an empty stomach. So many of these meds are really hard on the stomach & then you end up dealing with that later on.

Another thing is to have your calcium levels checked. Mine show normal, so I don't have an absorbtion problem. I am now allergic to dairy products tho, especiallys eggs. Grew up drinking milk right off the farm, so I had my share in my younger years. You can add calcium threw veggies too. Broccoli has just as much or more than milk does. There are other veggies, nuts, etc that contain high levels of calcium if you can't eat/drink dairy.

Try to get 15 minutes of sun on your skin daily or take Vit. D. I get plenty of sun in summer, winter not live in PA & it's too cold to go outside. They say those that live in the northern states,, especially northeast, are defecient in Vit. D.

DDD can progress over time or remain the same. Some can have DDD & no pain at all. No one is alike in any of these illiness's. I over worked my body at a young age & with the inheriated factor am now paying for it.

Toy

11. angiecw71

angiecw71 New Member

I want to thank everyone who has responded ot my post. All of you have been very inforamtive and have given me great advice. Thanks so much for the websites that you all have given they have been very informative.

I have learned a lot in just one day..

Thanks,
    Angie

P.S. Sorry so short but I am hurting..