Does ANYONE Have Heart Aches?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Rockismom, Nov 14, 2008.

1. Rockismom

Rockismom New Member

This may sound like a strange question but does anyone ever feel as if their
    heart aches or hurts?

I was dx''d with Costochondritis a couple of years ago and I thought maybe
    these were symptoms related to that but I'm not sure. And it seems that I hardly
    ever have pain on my right side ... it's almost always on the left.

- Doesn't hurt any more or less when I breath heavy.
    - I do have chest pains from time to time but these are like the anxiety attack symptoms I deal with from time to time.
    - They are just like heart attack symptoms so I usually take an aspirin when I feel one
    "coming on" just in case it's not "the big one".

All kidding aside...does anyone ever have pain that feels like their "heart aches"?

[This Message was Edited on 11/14/2008]
  2. 3gs

3gs New Member

Iam always amazed how many questions pop up here that I have been wondering about!

There have been times when I have thought this. Do you ever have fluttering or heart pounding too?

I just figured it was muscle spasms but there have been times when like you said the heart hurts. it can be scary. EKG's are normal.

What is chostal condritis?

3. Rockismom

Rockismom New Member

I had to correct my spelling...

Costochondritis is an inflammation of the cartilage that connects a rib to the breastbone (sternum). It causes sharp pain in the costosternal joint — where your ribs and breastbone are joined by rubbery cartilage. Pain caused by costochondritis may mimic that of a heart attack or other heart conditions.

Yes, I sometimes feel my heart flutter but I also have an irregular heart beat as well.
    It is scarey!
  4. Leaknits

Leaknits New Member

Would you maybe be talking about angina?

That turns up here once in a while and usually doesn't take more than a couple tablets NitroStat to correct.

Then, too, I've heard of people whose hearts hurt and it turned out to be a lack of oxygen problem.

Others chalked up the heart hurt to low body blood volume.

Seems as if the jury's still out as regards any one dx.

5. tut90

tut90 Member

As a matter of fact, I have been experiencing this discomfort all week long, and like you is only on the left side of my chest.

I just went to the doctor yesterday because I was having such a bad FM flare, plus the pain in my chest was scaring me, I told him that about five years ago, I had to go to the emergency room due to this problem, that they ran all sorts of tests and everything was fine. I remember asking the doctor at that time if the pain could be from having arthritis, he said that this could be the cause of the pain.

My doctor agreed that this could be the problem, that the bones in my chest could be arthritic and could be causing the pain.

No matter what I still take an aspirin when I experience the pain.

6. TeaBisqit

TeaBisqit Member

Yes. I get pain like someone is stabbing me in the heart. I read it's part of POTS. I've also had stroke like symptoms, read that's part of Lyme. I get all kinds of stuff, but I've been getting the heart pain for almost two years now.
  7. campbeck97

campbeck97 New Member

I have had this ever since I was dx with Fibromyalgia.Sometimes its a dull ache and other times its a sharp and its at that time I grab an aspirin or two lol. I mean its a stop you in your tracks type of pain. I'm also afraid its a heart attack! It is always on the left side. Even when I get costocondritis its on the left never on the right side. I also have fluttering and fast heart rate at time. Its very scary. Don't know what causes it. God Bless
  8. kat0465

kat0465 New Member

just a couple weeks ago, i had a ekg, holter,chest xray & some blood work, but dont know what they found. my fibro doc said she thinks it's costo.
    i also have irregular heart beats all the time, & the pain more on the left side than the right. i have had funny heart beats as long as i can remember, but when im stressed or upset they get really bad. also when i overdo it, the heart thing gets worse. yes it's very scary & i just pray the fibro isnt doing something to my heart.your definately not alone, theres a lot of posts herer about the heart thing. Take care, Kat
  9. tut90

tut90 Member

Doctors don't know what causes most cases of costochondritis. Only some cases of costochondritis have a clear cause. Those causes include:

Injury. A blow to the chest could cause costochondritis.
    Infection. Infection can develop in the costosternal joint, causing pain.
    Fibromyalgia. Recurring costochondritis could be a symptom of fibromyalgia. People with fibromyalgia often have several tender spots. The upper part of the breastbone is a common tender spot.
    Pain from other areas of your body. Pain signals can sometimes be misinterpreted by your brain, causing pain in places far away from where the problem occurs. Your doctor might refer to this as "referred pain." Pain in your chest can sometimes be caused by problems with the bones in your spine compressing the nerves.

10. Rockismom

Rockismom New Member

Such good responses from everyone. Thank you so much!
    It is such a relief to know this isn't a "just me" symptom!

Kat, I usually get this when I am "stressed" as well. But sometimes it's a "good stress" if that makes sense. Like when I am excited or anticipating my day. I know it probably sounds weird but I even have anxiety attacks when I am overly excited and in a good mood.

Tut90, I have never heard of this "referred pain" that you mention or chest pain being caused by "problems with the bones in your spine compressing the nerves ". This is very interesting.

Blessings to All!

[This Message was Edited on 11/14/2008]
  11. DeborahLynn

DeborahLynn Member

I've had this often, too, since being diagnosed with FMS and ME/CFS. It used to scare me, but I had an ekg and everything was normal. I get heart palpitations every so often, and the sharp stabbing pain that takes my breath away. I also get the dull aching pain. Not fun!

God bless all! Debbie