Does anyone have HEEL PAIN - PLANTAR FACIITIS?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by artisticweb42, Aug 14, 2003.

1. artisticweb42

artisticweb42 New Member

I have had severe heel pain for a year. I just had my 3rd cortisone shot last week. He told me that since it has been a year and the pain is still there I should have surgery.

I do not want to do that, even if it does take the apin away.

I have found that ice really helps and stretching exercises. Plus not over doing it when it starts to hurt really bad.

I have a feeling that this was directly or maybe indirectly caused by my FMS. Has anyone else had this problem and what have you tried that makes it better?

Thanks for your help.

BLS
  2. stillfighting

stillfighting New Member

I've had problems with this, and stretching the achilles tendon helps. One of the funny things about this is it feels better if you walk for exercise, but hurts like heck afterwards--that's when you stretch and ice it down after.
  3. Annette2

Annette2 New Member

My doctor told me to stand on the bottom step of your stairs, with your heels hanging over the edge. (You have to hold on tightly to the bannister). Drop your heels ever so slightly, and sort of bounce. This stretches your calf muscle as well as the heel. It did help and prevent me from having surgery.

Madwolf - you are great!!!!

Annette2
  4. daylilyfan

daylilyfan New Member

Oh, did I ever have PF bad in both feet! I had physical therapy, cortisone injections, did exercise. Not much helped. Foot dr. wanted me to get custom orthotics but I would not do it... as I have worn Birkenstocks for nearly 20 years and your not getting me out of them! I did stop wearing the sandals and clogs and started wearing the laceup shoe type Birks. They make many types, and I got some made for hiking that are very stable and supportive. When the footpads wear, I can replace them for $35 - one heck of a lot less than getting new orthotics made every 6 months. A good pair of Birk shoes will run you $200 but will last several years of daily wear - no kidding.
    I broke my foot 2 years ago. I ended up at a really good foot orthopedic guy. He said you can't do better than wearing Birks. He said if I had NOT been wearing them, my Plantar F would be so bad I would not be walking at all.
    What finally healed me was... a massage therapist. She's also been trained in reflexology. This was NOT fun, or relaxing. It hurt BIG TIME. But in just a few visits, she had me back on my feet without pain. She would massage all around my foot and also stretch my calf muscles and thigh muscles. She worked on me for an hour at a time, 3 times a week. I tell you when she worked on the bottoms of my heels, it hurt worse than any Fibro tender point ever did. But it WORKED! Oh - beforehand, she used a heating pad on my feet and legs, and after, ice.

At home, she had me do exercises. Again, heat before, ice after. She had me using the alcohol/water mix that Madwolf recommened, but in a ziplock bag (put it in 2 bags to be sure it won't leak). You can also use frozen peas, but the alcohol water mix gets colder. Also, using tennis ball. softball, or pop can to roll foot on. The wine bottle thing sounds excellent too. Put a towel flat on the floor and use your toes to "scrunch" up the towel between your toes, then let it go. Get some kids marbles and scatter them on the floor, and use your toes to pick them up and put them in a coffee cup. Stand on a step and stretch your heel down. But the one that helped the most was lay on your back on your bed. Use a beach towel, ( or a long belt) and fold it under the ball of your foot, and hold the ends in your hands. Lay with your legs out flat. Gently, slowly, raise your leg up to a 90 degree angle, and then pull down on the towel to stretch your foot down towards your body. Another one is to stand about 18 inches to 2 feet away from but facing a wall. Put your hands on the wall, shoulder height. Gradually walk your feet backwards until you feel your calf muscles stretch.
    Do all of these things only one or two a day to start! GRADUALLY increase till you are doing them all several times, then repeat them morning and night.

But, if you can get to a licenced massage therapist, I would really recommend it, as I think she is really the one that helped me.

Oh, and get a good pair of BIRKs......
  5. yellowbird

yellowbird New Member

I have plantar fasciitis, which doesn't seem to be directly related to my CFS, although it did start up a few years ago when I was having a lot of other joint and muscle pain. But my feet are flat as pancakes, I think that is the cause. In any case, I just wear sensible shoes, with the right kind of insoles, both indoors and outdoors, and avoid walking in bare feet. This has taken care of the pain completely.

yellowbird
  6. artisticweb42

artisticweb42 New Member

Wow, thanks everyone! What great ideas. I will try them and let you know how they work. I am determinded not to get surgery!

You guys are great!

Bonnie
  7. KayeMM

KayeMM New Member

BLS, I went to a foot doctor and they made a mold of my foot and made this tihng I put in my shoe. I wore my shoes most of the time and within a year my foot didn't hurt anymore. Plantar fashia is where the tendon is stretched or something like that, and wearing the mold in my shoe made my foot keep straight so it would fix it. I'm not sure how it does it, but I would sure get another opinion besides surgery. The doctors told me that doing surgery did not get rid of the problem, because the heel spurs were brought on by the plantar fashia and they would just come back if the tendon wasnt fixed. I'm sure someone esle can explain this better but I just wanted to let you know what worked for me.
    Kaye MM
    Cheryl
  8. dolsgirl

dolsgirl New Member

I was dianosed several years ago & do the exercises, stretching. I do like Madwolfs idea of the wine bottle rolling under the feet while icing. I have trouble icing things. It seems to bother me mostly, but it works, it's just painful to have the ice on. I'm very sensitive to the cold. That's why I left New England a year ago & arrived in Northwest Washington State a year ago today! The weather is moderate year round on this side of the state. Much better than Massachusetts.

I've also been diagnosed w/flat feet which my father also had. The only shoes I can wear for any length of time are the Brooks Ariels. They keep my flat feet in a good position. dolsgirl
  9. bakron

bakron New Member

I would add that there should be an extra bottle of wine, and that a glass of wine be taken while rolling the bottle for 20 minutes (of course, can't do it 6 X/day). Doing this right before bedtime is wonderful (or maybe just before a nice nap on a weekend day!) Thanks, Madwolf! Will try with a nap this weekend. .
  10. sofy

sofy New Member

I was having a terrible time but my most acute pain was in my arch. I have extremely hi arches and most shoes today have no arch supports. Birkenstocks do not fit my feet and neither do most of the other orthodic type shoes so I look at shoes whenever I am out. Try on sneakers till I find a pair that feels right. Same brand same size doesnt always means it fits the same so I just try them on and walk a bit.
    I do stretching exercises regularly but the biggest help came when I found sandles at the drug store for under $10. They are made by Okabashi and called Magne Plus. The have 2 magnets in the sole and a high built in arch that fits me perfect. Never found them again but ordered them thru their web site, for a lot more money, and I even wear them to take a shower. They make other sandles but none of them have the same mold for the high arch and they just dont feel right. I dont know if the magnets really work but I will tell you that I have had no problem in over 2 years since getting these shoes and being very careful never to not have on a shoe that feels right.
  11. libra55

libra55 New Member

One of the things my rheumatologist told me was NOT to go barefoot any longer than necessary. Buy yourself a thick, cushy pair of sneakers, the best you can afford, make sure they fit you well, and wear those at all times.

I also do the exercises mentioned in the other posts. I do them with a rolling pin. BUT I like Madwolf's method better and I think I will try that from now on!

Feel well,
    Michelle
  12. Lana56

Lana56 New Member

I had a terrible time with this myself.to begin I soaked my feet in ice water and epsom salt twice a day.I had to stay off my feet a lot for a while too.When the inflammation got better then the doctor showed me how to stretch the muscle under the foot.i took things slow and really worked at it.I cusioned shoes too so when I had to walk it wouldn't hurt the foot more.Use a lot of ice and stretch.Hope you get better-hope surgery won't have to be done.You could end up with more problems. Lana56
  13. KSB

KSB New Member

and the thing that helped me most was a night splint. You can get one through your doctor. I haven't had any pain in years, but I still wear the splint every night. It keeps the tendon stretched so that it doesn't feel stiff or hurt in the mornings, which used to be my most painful time. Also, there's a good web site, www.heelspurs.com that has tons of information about all kinds of foot pain. Good luck! I know it's miserable, but hopefully yours, like mine, will eventually go away. Gentle stretching is very important too.
  14. toots2

toots2 New Member

I was also diagnosed with plantar fasciatis by my general practitioner but my rheumy says it is the fibro. I totally agree. We have muscles and connective tissue in our feet just like the rest of our body so why wouldn't my feet hurt too. I have to say the feet thing comes and goes. My feet will hurt for months then go away for some reason. When first dx., my feet were so bad, I had to use electric carts for shopping. Went away about a year later. It has now come back. Just part of having this terrible disease. Toots
  15. twistygirl

twistygirl New Member

I had it for well over a year, and NOTHING worked until I tried acupuncture. Two sessions and it was completely gone, and it's been gone for two years.

If you can find a good acupuncturist, it can be a miracle. I also had carpal tunnel syndrome for several years and was close to having surgery and a couple of sessions of acupuncture completely cured it, and again, I've been carpal-tunnel-free for two years.

Sandy