Does anyone have issues with falling?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by kellygirl, Oct 10, 2012.

1. kellygirl

kellygirl Member

It's happened a few times for me and the latest was today. All I did was bend over to pick up my grandson's little pool to empty it of sand to put away for the Winter and just fell forward, fell on my wrist and bruised it.

I just tend to lose that part of middle age or the FMS or both?
  2. IanH

IanH Active Member

Do you take opiates or antidepressants of any kind. When I took opiates (codiene, dihydrocodiene, tramadol, morphine) I was always falling over, sometimes just collapsing after turning around. Banged my head badly a couple times. Once fell in to the road.

It was definitely the opiates. Since stopping them I never fell again. I also know of two other people who's falls were due to antidepressants.
    [This Message was Edited on 10/10/2012]
  3. kellygirl

kellygirl Member

No, it just happens. Once, walking the dog, just fell to the ground. I mentioned it to the doctor during a visit and he didn't address it.

It doesn't happen often, just now and then. I do practice over-50 chair yoga, which helps with balance and neck and shoulder issues. I think if I didn't, it'd be worse.

When I was younger, I never understood the importance of sidewalks without cracks and bumps. Just last year, I fell on one and nearly hit my teeth on the ground.....never knew the day would come that I would be tripping on them.
  4. sunflowergirl

sunflowergirl Active Member

'Could It Be B12' An Epidemic of Misdiagnoses. Sally M Pacholok, R.N and Jeffrey J Stuart, D.O.

Apparently it mentions that lack of B12 in the elderly can be the cause of unexplained falling. I've got this book on order at the library. May you will want to check it out.

By the way, I have to be careful all the time. I've fallen twice in the last 5 years. Badly sprained both ankles and had to ride an office chair around the house. Second time I was lucky not to have broken the sliding glass door I hit hard with my shoulder. When I take walks I carry an old iron golf club with a rubber tip on the end. Protection against dogs AND feeling like I'm going to trip.
  5. kellygirl

kellygirl Member

My levels were checked for b12 and magnesium and are fine. Also, I do add salt now. I was thinking I was helping myself by not including salt in my diet and my blood volume was low, I was told by doc to add salt and drink water. I am borderline anemic always and do run dehydrated at times, I do have to force myself to drink water throughout the day. So, maybe that is an issue.

The over-50 yoga class helps a lot with the balance postures, it's a God-send. I have a neck and spine that do lack the spaces between the discs and in pain and I think that also has something to do with it all.

All suggestions are welcome. I receive much help and encouragement from this board.
  6. MicheleK

MicheleK Member

I go through periods where I have depth perception issues and sometimes feel woosey due to orthostatic issues. But I would suggest you make sure and tell your doctor about this falling. If you don't have orthostatic problems you may want to be extra thorough by going to see a neurologist. Sometimes MS patients fall, so it would be good to rule that out.
  7. Allen

Allen Member

i have had Fibro for over 20 years and one of the common symptoms is losing my balance and crashing into walls, doors and furniture. Have had several situations when I have injured myself.
  8. kellygirl

kellygirl Member

I did a search on the internet about reasons people fall and it did list the arthritis and pain in joints and spine as an issue.
  9. Kay31

Kay31 Member

I'm sort of a glutz, but last year I was in the bathroom and left one of the drawers to the vanity open. Next thing I knew I was flying into the next room....knew I had broken hip! No fun, but I had a good surgeon and excellent rehab care.

This year, I tripped over a garden hose....not hurt, but couldn't get up. I crawled over to my garden seat and was able to stand up. A few months ago I was wearing fllip-flops; I went to answer the phone and my flips flopped. I couldn't get up and my foot and ankle were badly swollen. Another trip to the ER....nothing broken, thank God.

I have a medic alert button now (ye gads) amd TRY to remember where I'm going. I think it has to do with aging and balance issues. I'd like to blame it on this DD, but who knows?

Anyhow, keep the faith!
  10. IanH

IanH Active Member

So sometimes you just fall down (collapse) and other times you trip. Are these both balance problems for you?
  11. kellygirl

kellygirl Member

No, I didn't have balance issues in the past. With the neck pain and tightness, may be an issue. But, I am able to do balance postures in my over-50 yoga, this class is a blessing for pain control and flexibility.

I am guessing it's the arthritis which does tighten up the muscles. I don't feel as in control of balance as when I was younger.

I took care of the elderly in their homes when I was working and I am trying to get use to the fact I am having these issues now, though I am 59 and they were in their 80's.

Maybe I just panicked....I wish I could afford muscle therapy, massage. My insurance deductible prevents me from going, I have to pay upfront til the deductible is down. I may try to get back to the school, the students, for an affordable massage. It really helps. The massage therapists at the spas cost 45-50 dollars for the hour. Anyone go for muscle massage and how do you afford it?
  12. jole

jole Member

Sounds like me. Sometimes it's simply an 'imbalance' feeling; other times it's almost like my brain shut down for a minute. It's really embarrassing to land face down in front of other people. I've even fallen in the shower because the water totally disorients me....can't find the door and have no clue which way is up!

I do have to admit, like someone else said, that getting off a lot of my meds has helped. The door/wall hitting days are mostly behind me. The drugs I got off of were antidepressant and antiseizure meds, so it stands to For years I thought everyone with CFS/fibro had these problems, and was suprised to find it's only a few of us. Wishing you the best, and hope you find the answer.