Does anyone have little red bumps that look like blood blisters??

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia and ME & Chronic Fatigue Syndrome' started by carolynh8, Sep 28, 2005.

1. carolynh8

carolynh8 New Member

I started getting these tiny raised bright red bumps a couple months ago. I thought maybe they were caused by Skelaxin or FMS.I quit taking Skelaxin for a while but
    they didn't go away. In fact, now I have more, and some are
    getting larger. Now there are a couple on my back and a
    lot of very tiny ones on my thighs. I can't believe I
    forgot to show my doctor last week. They're not painful
    or itchy. They kind of look like little red moles. Anybody
    have something similiar??
  2. colinear

colinear New Member

yes. i have them, too. every doctor that i have shown them too has completely blown me off. i wonder what causes them?!?!!?
  3. Bruin63

Bruin63 Member

When I first noticed them, they scared me, but then I noticed that my Mom had them too.
    So I showed them to my Rheumy Dr. and she told me they were Petechiae.

Thier Pinpoint, discrete deposit of blood less than 1-2 mn in the extravascular tissues and visible through the skin of mucous membrane.

They are not dangerous, and they most are caused by aging, but I think when our Immune system is out of wack, it's another thing that we get with these DD's.
    (I should say as a Rule, below is some info from a website, that has information on this and purpura)

Hug's,
    sharonk

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Tiny purple or red spots (petechiae) or bruises (purpura)

A rash is rarely the first symptom to appear when a serious illness is present. Usually other symptoms will occur before the rash. Common early symptoms of a serious illness include fever, a general feeling of illness (malaise), or a decreased level of activity.

There are 2 types of rashes that may be the first noticeable symptom of a serious illness:

Petechial rash looks like tiny, flat purple or red spots (petechiae). Petechiae range from pinpoint-size to BB-size.
    The red spots of a petechial rash do not turn white (blanch) when you press on them. This type of rash is more likely to occur in children, but it can occur at any age.

In rare cases, petechiae may occur on the face after severe vomiting or retching or a choking injury. If more petechiae are not developing, this type of rash is usually not concerning.

Purpura is sudden, severe, widespread bruising caused by certain bleeding disorders.
    Other symptoms are usually present as well, such as fever or decreased activity level. Purpura differs from normal bruising caused by bumping into objects or falling; purpura causes many more bruises, and there is no clear cause for the bruises. Purpura is more likely to occur in adults, but it can occur at any age.

Credits
    Author Sydney Youngerman-Cole, RN, BSN, RNC
    Editor Susan Van Houten, RN, BSN, MBA

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

<br>[<i>This Message was Edited on 09/29/2005</i>]
  4. dunnlb

dunnlb New Member

I got this from eMedicine:

Background: Cherry hemangiomas are the most common cutaneous vascular proliferations. They are often widespread and appear as tiny cherry red papules or macules.

Pathophysiology: Involvement of cherry hemangiomas is limited to the skin. These benign lesions are formed by a proliferation of dilated venules.

Frequency:
    In the US: Frequency of cherry hemangiomas increases with age in both sexes and all races.

Mortality/Morbidity:
    Lesions are benign and usually do not undergo spontaneous involution.
    Patients may demonstrate considerable concern regarding the cosmetic appearance of the lesions.

Race: Cherry hemangiomas are found in individuals of all races and ethnic backgrounds.

Sex: No distinction can be made on the basis of sex.

Age: Cherry hemangiomas occur more frequently with increasing age. In the past, the lesions often were referred to as senile angiomas.

History: Cherry angiomas typically present in the third or fourth decades of life, and early lesions may appear as small red macules.

Lesions may be found on all body sites, but usually, the mucous membranes are spared.
    Most patients report an increase in number and size of individual lesions with advancing age.

Physical: On physical examination, lesions may have a variable appearance, ranging from a small red macule to a larger dome-topped or polypoid papule.

The color of the lesions typically is described as bright cherry red, but the lesions may appear more violaceous at times.
    Rarely, a lesion demonstrates a dark brown to an almost black color when a hemorrhagic plug occupies the vascular lumen, often raising concern about the possibility of a malignant melanoma.

Causes: Little is known about the factors that contribute to the formation of cherry hemangiomas.
  5. sleepyinlalaland

sleepyinlalaland New Member

I understand they are more frequent in older folks...but, I've had since I was a young chick! I have them on my chest, stomach and thighs. They ruin my otherwise glamorous cleavage (ha).

I read that they often accompany auto-immune disorders and I wonder. No doctor has ever commented on them, but..hmmmm.
  6. chickadee

chickadee New Member

Petechiae can be a sign of a potentially serious and/or life threatning illness. Petechiae show up with lukemia and also ITP. Petechiae can also mean nothing.

I would make my doctor aware of it and let him/her decide.

Peace,
    Chickadee
  7. neen85

neen85 New Member

I have been ill for 17 yrs. and was diagnosed with lyme in AUgust of 2004. The onset of illness presented with painful swelling knees,lower abdominal pain(chronic constipation,as it is now known to be),1st degree AV block(heart),glandular swelling,sudden onset of total exhaustion.
    Then the rash showed on the inside of my left leg and groin area. Daneen
  8. JLH

JLH New Member

I get them sometimes on my belly. I have a big belly, and if I sleep on my stomach all night, I wake up with them on my stomach.

Also, if I sit on top of my leg, I might end up with them on my calf.

My doc called them what you guys found out that they were; however, I don't think that's it. When I don't sleep on my belly, or sit on my legs, they're gone.

So, I don't worry about them.

So ..... my sarcastic doc would say .... "if you get them when you sleep on your belly, and you worry about them -- then DON'T sleep on your belly!!! LOL"

Janet
  9. matn

matn New Member

From my experience, these are associated with CFS (physician again have no clue). If you consume something that is incompatible with your blood type, your blood can clot with the toxins and produce there red spots. I actually saw them form and disappear when I was extremely ill. I totally changes my diet (see my profile) to remove all the possible toxins (no dairy, gluten, soy, sugar, anything processed, no drugs, supplements, MSG, etc). I follow the Eat Right for Your Type diet and I am only consume foods that do not promote yeast. I no longer consume 80% of what is the standard american diet and I recovered.

Hope this helps!
  10. Gly

Gly New Member

They are 2 distinctly different things. Cherry angiomas are hereditary and harmless and come with age, mostly on the trunk area. They don't go away. My Dad had tons of them and I do, too. My Dad did not have CFS or Fibro. He was a man of enormous energy.
  11. darude

darude New Member

Petchaie all over here!
  12. sdown

sdown New Member

I went to the doctor's today and I have ringworm of the body. My symptoms are itchiness all over the body and small raised red bumps in the crotch area, other areas like the face and neck are smaller bumps but also red. I know you mentioned there is no itchiness but there are different types of fungus. Ask your doctor to be tested for yeast. There are so many different types of fungus (yeast). I have to take lamisil tablets and use lamisil cream. The ringworm is contagious. I got it from my husband who started off with athlete's foot and jock's itch which is also called ringworm. Good luck to you!
  13. sjogrens

sjogrens New Member

Last year they found melanoma on me. It was removed but I freak over every little mark on me now. I found all these tiny red bumps growing on different area's on my body. The doctor said they were nothing to worry about.
  14. dononagin

dononagin New Member

I showed them to my Dermie.. He said not to sweat it.. they are pretty commen especially with auto-immune disfunction..
  15. dononagin

dononagin New Member

Wake me up.. I felt blown off when he told me it was nothing to worry about because I had done a little research on it. Now.. Last time I had a bleed test (the cut on the arm) they almost wouldn't do my colonoscopy as I didn't stop when I was supposed to.. Hmmmmmm.. wonder what is up with that.. I'll have to look into this a little deeper!
    Thank you!
  16. Geechie

Geechie New Member

before I was diagnosed with anything (RA, Fibro, a few others) and now they have all gone away. I haven't thought about it in a long time! I have no idea why they come. They do look like petichiae. But those are usually temporary.
  17. darude

darude New Member

Mine are blood spots on the skin!!! Very tiny but if I touch them they bleed. Doctor said nothing to worry about. You have me thinking now as I have a positive ANA, They have done a CBC on me would this show this?
  18. Solaris_Starr

Solaris_Starr New Member

OMG! I get them on the inside of my cheeks, on either sides of my mouth. I've been getting them for yrs now. Never really game them much thought. I just thought it was due to chewing the inside of my sheck to much. Wow, I know others get this as well.

They look like tiny bubbles of dark blood, kind of like a pimple, but round like a globe and raised. I always get at least 2 or 3 at a time. You just keep learning, that's why I love this site!

Hugs Sandy

ps.anyone else ever had them on the inside of your mouth?
  19. chopindog

chopindog New Member

Since I was probably 17, Mine are mostly on my upper arms. I hate them because if I wear a tank top some people make comments. The major one being "boy you really got a sunburn." I don't argue with them, I would rather they think that than think its some weird rash.

20. sydneysider

sydneysider Member

There is a type of tiny bright red spots that are like pin heads, and usually feel domed shaped. These are called campbel de morgan spots. There may also be another name, but I can't remember. Doctors consider them to be nothing important.

I have heard that they are burst bloodvessels.

Recently I was researching hypermobile joint syndrome, and a possible connection to FM. I was on a hypermobile message board, and found people discussing these spots, and a possible connection to hypermobility.

A physio recently told me that my curving back thumbs were an indication of hypermobility. If this is so then I must have some mild form, as I'm really only a little more flexible that average.

I'm not sure if campbel de morgan spots are common in general, or if they might be an indication of something.