Does Anyone Have Lumps Under The Skin With No Pain

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by stinker56, Dec 2, 2006.

1. stinker56

stinker56 New Member

Just below my ribs on the left side is a little lump. I found it just by accident one day when I was rubbing my stomach. At first it really scared me but it has been weeks and it doesn't seem to be any larger in fact it might be a little smaller. I remember lifting a heavy laundry basket and holding it against my side to carry it and wonder if this might have caused it. I have a pea sized one on the back of my right upper arm. The doctor said it was a fatty tumor which I have on my leg left leg and left wrist also but they are both soft.
    Any ideas on the subject? I have been diagnosed with RA and FMS.
    Stinker56
  2. Dixie_Amazon

Dixie_Amazon Member

I have a couple on my left forearm. It used to be 3 but one went away. My doc said they were fatty tumors and nothing to worry about. Better to ask next time you are at your doctors office.
  3. stinker56

stinker56 New Member

JUST BUMPING FOR ANY OTHER SUGGESTIONS AS TO WHAT THIS MIGHT BE.
    THANKS
    STINKER
  4. CanBrit

CanBrit Member

To me it sounds like it could be an RA nodule or a ganglion cyst.

About 25% of all RA patients develop nodules. I did some checking around and they most commonly are seen on the hands, back of the elbow, but they can show up almost anywhere on the body.

Ganglion cysts are soft, painless lumps. I've noticed that quite a few FM sufferers seem to get them.

Here's a description of where they can be found.

Ganglion cysts most commonly occur on the back of the hand (60-70%), at the wrist joint and can also develop on the palm side of the wrist. When found on the back of the wrist, they become more prominent when the wrist is flexed forward. Other sites, although less common, include these:

The base of the fingers on the palm, where they appear as small pea-sized bumps

The fingertip, just below the cuticle, where they are called mucous cysts

The outside of the knee and ankle

The top of the foot

Hope this helps,

Eileen
  5. wyattsmom

wyattsmom New Member

Mostly in my upper legs. My doctor said they are called Lipomas, a fatty /calcium buildup. They are fine unless they are pressing on nerves. I had to have a couple removed, but I had them grow in other places. Now I am like, forget it. The DR said once you get one, you can continue to get more.

I wonder if they are prone to fibro patients???
    Happy Holidays everyone!
    Wyattsmom
  6. stinker56

stinker56 New Member

Thanks so much for the input. I really didn't think they were serious because they don't seem to be attached to anything other than under the skin. Of course, I get paranoid about anything that happens since so much goes wrong with this disease.
    You have made my weekend much better for replying. I will ask the rheumy when I go back in February.
    Thanks again,
    Stinker56
  7. kiley

kiley New Member

Hi,
    I have many lumps under the skin. They range in size from pea to half the size of a golf ball depending upon how I feel at any given time. They appear to be mostly on the under sides of my arms, wrist, and a couple on my ankles. They do not hurt and I have been told they are nothing to worry about.
    Take care,
    Kiley
  8. Tammy070498

Tammy070498 New Member

I have tons of these in my back, knees, chest etc...and mine are very painful, but im told its related to the fibro, and that they are lipomas.
    [This Message was Edited on 12/29/2006]
  9. AllWXRider

AllWXRider New Member

My nutrionalist told me to use Castor bean oil for lipomas.

Xanthomas are the little, above the skin fatty tumors. My D.O. says that those are easy: sterilize a fingernail clipper and clip them off.

Due to brain fog, I forget to apply it my Castor Bean oil...right now its the least of my worries.

FYI...lipase is an enzyme that dissolves lipids (fats). Lipase is made by the pancreas and from foods that are oily like avocados. As long as they are NOT cooked or pastuerized. Heat kills enzymes.
  10. RedHeadEMT

RedHeadEMT New Member

Hi Stinker56,

A few of the other posters mentioned that what you have seems to be lipomas, or fatty/calcium buildups. My hubby has two small ones on his back and one on his wrist, one on his leg. I also have one on my calf. I've had the one on my lef since high school and it hasn't grown in size at all.

The one's on my hubby's back are tender to the poke (hehe); mine is not. I think his may be ore tender because his is located near his spine and may be compressing on a nerve. I'd keep an eye on them; it they get bigger, rough around the edges, see a doc.

Take care!

K
  11. survivor13

survivor13 New Member

hey all

Yep i got em and they move around but are not painful,they do itch sometimes though. My doctor says they are fatty deposits because my weight goes up and down so often and at times quickly that these fatty deposits get left behind.
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  12. survivor13

survivor13 New Member

hey all

Yep i got em and they move around but are not painful,they do itch sometimes though. My doctor says they are fatty deposits because my weight goes up and down so often and at times quickly that these fatty deposits get left behind.
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  13. stinker56

stinker56 New Member

Sorry so many others have these lumps too but it sure makes me feel better to know I am not alone and they aren't something more serious. I really didn't think they are life threatening but with this disease, I never know.
    Thanks for responding.
    Stinker56
  14. momXtwo

momXtwo New Member

And they are everywhere on my body. Sometimes they actually turn blue, and they are large enough for others to notice, so it can be embarrassing. The largest ones I have are a couple on my back near my spine (about the size of a clementine) and several on the underside of my forearms. The one by my spine does hurt occasionally if pressed upon, so I keep an eye on it. Several others do also hurt as they get larger and larger. I, too, was told they were calcium or fatty deposits. I wonder....another fibro commonality?
  15. ladybird1

ladybird1 New Member

I discovered mine similar to the way you did and in the same place. My doctor says it's a lipoma (fatty deposit) and nothing to worry about. I guess it all goes with the territory.
  16. stinker56

stinker56 New Member

I am sure you are all right about what these lumps are. I first noticed them in October and they never got any larger and in fact seem smaller. As long as I don't rub them too much, they don't hurt but if I can't help myself and have to check them out, they get sore.
    I go to the rheumy next week and intend to mention them to him. I did in November but he seemed to not pay it any attention or ignored me one but I won't let him ignore them this visit. After all it is my money he is earning.
    Once again-thanks for letting me know I am not alone in this terrible disease.
    Stinker56
  17. kriket

kriket New Member

I have them everywhere, and mine is not fat lumps. I think it is some type of inflammation in my tissues or something caused by the fibro. Most of them are very very tender, but some are not.

Kriket
  18. panicky

panicky New Member

I have a lump in the same location. It's so close to the band of my bra that the bra sometimes feels uncomfortably tight. No problems other than that. I'm relieved to hear that so many others have lumps too! Does anyone have suggestions for finding a bra that is comfortable all day?? I'm finding it near impossible to keep one on late in the day.
  19. ladykew

ladykew New Member

My Rheumatologist said they were common in FMS and would not go away but, that I should not be concerned about them. They are tender to pressure, and sometimes turn a little blueish color and get a bit sore. I discovered my first one on my thigh about 30 years ago. I'm 60 now, and they're too numerous to count. I just leave them alone, and tell people not to poke me in the arm!!!

Hugs,
    Lew
  20. stinker56

stinker56 New Member

Finally went and saw what the lumps on my stomach were and thank goodness...they are lipomas!!
    I feel much relieved to know nothing seriously was wrong.
    Thanks for all the input on this subject.
    You are all great.
    Stinker56