Does anyone have pain near their sternum?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by TiffanySE, Jan 30, 2009.

1. TiffanySE

TiffanySE New Member

Hi everyone! I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia when I was a freshman in High School. I started having pains though when I was in the sixth grade, but doctor after doctor kept telling my mom I was making it up and to stop listening. There is still one pain that doctors have yet to explain to me and I was hoping someone on here could at least relate to what I am going through or might be able to explain it to me. In sixth grade I called my mom at work telling her I thought I was having a heart attack. All I knew was my chest hurt and it was really bad when I breathed. I would just sit and cry all the time due to the pain. Now as a 22 year old I can describe the pain a little better. My pain is around my sternum bone and it comes on VERY shortly after I hold something of little weight for a few minutes. I held my newborn baby cousin for minutes and I had to put her down. Sometimes it will come on when I am doing ordinary everyday things that dont involve holding things in my arms. If anyone experiences this or knows what it is I would greatly appreciate the knowledge!!
    Thanks, Tiffany
  2. kat0465

kat0465 New Member

yep, sounds just like Costocondroitis( Probably misspelled) i have that and it is terribly painful, lifting & pulling on things will make it worse!! you can google it, or there are posts on here about it. just do a search and you'll find tons of stuff. it's scary i know cause it is right in the middle of your chest!! at times i cant even touch my sternum it hurts so bad!!! not much to do for it but, time & pain meds, also some heat helps me. good luck, and your definately not alone!! Kat
  3. wildwoodlane

wildwoodlane Member

about costochondritis. This pain will also spread around your ribs clear to your back! NSAIDS may help, if you can take them. Most doctors now will recognize the symptoms if they are familiar with FMS, but I agree with you -- it is plenty scary. Fortunately, this is usually a fibro symptom that comes and goes. Good luck!

4. Meg1710

Meg1710 New Member

My first thought was Costochondritis - then I noticed the other two posters have said the same thing!

My Chiropractor has the knack for helping to ease the pain of Costo!
  5. Chelz

Chelz New Member

Tiffany, before I even read the other responses, I already came up with costochondritis. This condition, so common with fibromyalgia is very scary sometimes. I started getting it around your age, I'm now 43.

For me, sometimes it can get so bad that it feels like something is stuck around my sternum, it's an awful feeling, but so very common. I think it may have something to do with the cartilage around our sternum that seems to get inflamed or something like that, not so sure.

Anything can bring it on such as lifting something heavy, having a bad cold, even the changing weather, cold and humid consitions can flare it up for me.

The best way to ease it up a little is to take something like Advil for a few days, then taking a hot water bottle, with warm water , not too hot, and place it on your chest. This is what helps ease it for me. Sometimes only time will eventually take the flare away and you might not even have another occurence for a while. It is frustrating and scary. I too thought I was having a heart attack or something similar like that. Take care, Chelz.
  6. kat0465

kat0465 New Member

Hi Tiffany,how are you feeling now ?? any better?
    just to re affirm the costo thing. i was cleaning beach cabins till hurricane ike, i suffered a great deal with the costo from all the lifting & pushing & pulling on things, i havent worked since sept, this past weekend i cleaned a friends house that has cancer, i was there for almost 3 hours and now i am hurting BAD!!! i had been doing a lot better cause i had laid off all that stuff( you can imagine what my own house looks like!!) it almost feels like there something in your chest that shouldnt be there, i guess its the inflammation.
    and hang on to your chest!! the ground hogg saw his shadow.....6 more weeks of winter( the cold dosent help a bit)Hope your feeling better! Kat
    [This Message was Edited on 02/02/2009]
  7. TiffanySE

TiffanySE New Member

I wanted to thank everyone for their replies! It is much appreciated believe me. To finally hear other people have this problem, to know Im not the only one, to have a name to this horrible thing! I just wish now someone could find a cure. I hope to have a baby one day and be able to hold her or him in my arms without having to give them back to daddy because I feel pain. Maybe someone out there who suffers so much from this will find a cure! Once again, thanks to everyone.