Does anyone have periods of insomnia followed by periods of sleep

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by nje, Aug 11, 2005.

1. nje

nje New Member

i have weeks and weeks of insomnia,followed by weeks of sleeping all the time,i don`t know which is the worse
    i guess the insomnia is the worse because at least i`m out of my misery for long periods at a time

if anyone has anything famiiar to this please let me know.

i wrote a couple of post last week and nobody answered,i even came on and bumped them up a time or too,guess it just wasn`t my day,lol. i hope someone will answer me this time as i`m having this problem badly bye for now nje
  2. sheried

sheried New Member

Sometimes this board just moves so fast a post will get lost in the shuffle.

I, too, have the insomnia/sleep phenomenon. Devil that it is. I think it is just one of the many things that go with this dd. I don't have any suggestions. So far, I haven't found anything that works for me.

I can suggest that you do a search on insomnia/sleep above and see what threads pop up.

Good luck and welcome to the board.

Hugs,
    Sherie
  3. nje

nje New Member

any kind of answer is better than none. also,with my insomnia,i eat all the time;then wnen i start sleeping again,i`ll wake up;go in the kitchen;stuff whatever i can find in my mouth and then jump back in the bed.
    then i have a case of the guilts.
    by the way what does brain fog feel like? i`m bound to have it,because i talk fast and long;that is when i feel like it. then when i`m all around miserable ,hurting,i don`t even want to see anyone much,actually i wish i were on Mars just until i came out of that stuff. i hate being like that,but i can`t help it either. anybody got any feedback for this. i`d sure appreciate it. nje

4. cjpwash

cjpwash New Member

I spent 3 years sleeping 18-20 hours most days. Now I've cycled into being awake for days on end. I'm soooo tired I can hardly think or walk.But I cannot sleep. I thought about sleeping pills but I just don't want to take any more pills. Figure in 2 years I'll cycle back the other way!! But I have found that light exercise (walking) helps a little bit to even it all out.Hope you and I both find a way to minimize this situation.
  5. Jeanne-in-Canada

Jeanne-in-Canada New Member

not really chronic anything in that dept., just chronic pain. Tend to get the insomnia the worst in summer, like now and oversleeping most in winter w/ SAD. go w/out sleep aids as much as I can, rarely take them since I'm on so many painkillers already.

Jeanne
  6. steve69h

steve69h New Member

I've been going thru the same deal for some time now. I go a few weeks at a time either can't sleep or I get to where I don't get out of bed for 3-4 days. It seams to have gotten worse when I was told I have K.S. Cancer. About 5 yrs ago my Dr wanted me to try marinol for the pain and to help me eat and sleep and I'm still standing by it. I still hurt and all the other stuff and still have my times of ups and downs but I have been able to handle it better then without. Thought I was getting addicted to it so i stopped for a month OMG OOMG OOOMG never again i stand by my marinol (for more info on marinol and me ask me) Steve
  7. Bruin63

Bruin63 Member

I went through a very Stressful time, last month, and hardly slept.
    This past week, it caught up with me, and I spent, most of the day, Sleeping.

When I did leave the house, I went back to bed as soon I got through the door.

As a rule I only sleep for 3 or 4 hours at a time.
    Last night, tho I was up all night, and today I have a 6 year old to take care of who is sick.

When I can't sleep, I take hot showers, use a Massager all over the Bad spot's. I try to read or just watch something mindless, so at least my Body is resting.
    Even if the mind won't.

When I have tried sleep meds in the past, they just wired me and made it worse.

These dd's are the pit's.

8. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

been like that since my CFS symptoms started in early 80s.

I would love a period of sleep but I can understand how that would become just as awful as not sleeping.

I'm sorry I've nothing to recomment, I've tried all kinds of meds for the insomnia and they have the opposite effect on me, keeping me awake for longer.

love
    Rosie

9. Seeseaisme

Seeseaisme New Member

Sometimes I sleep for 12 hrs without waking. Not often, but sometimes.

Other times I sleep for 16 hrs with some waking, go to bathroom, get a drink, sleep, go to bathroom, get a drink, etc. You get the picture.

Then I have times when I get 3-4 hrs of sleep. Go figure.

Like you I prefer the sleep, except when I wake up and I'm so sore I can't straighten up.

Then I feel like the crooked little man, who walked a crooked mile.

Happiness to ya
  10. sunflowergirl

sunflowergirl Well-Known Member

I used to be able to sleep anywhere, for any length of time but not for the last 5 years. I've moved my clock so I can't look at it when I wake up, which is about every l l/2 hours. A nap for me is l5 min. then I can't sleep any longer. Anybody remember the movie, Insomnia with Al Pacino. He was like death warmed over but still couldn't sleep.
  11. glenda2

glenda2 New Member

hello i have the same problem. it really interferes with my work. i am at the point that i don't know how much longer i can keep working. i came home early yesterday and didn't go today have slept most of the time and still tired. i guess it is just something we just have to deal with (it is hard to do though).
  12. HppeandMe

HppeandMe New Member

Insomnia and Fatigue are the worst part of this for me. I have tried almost everything. I was recently put on Restoril and take 2 and go to be around 11pm and wake up at 4am. Then this morning I took another at 4 am and slept till 10 am. However, my body hurts so bad it feels like I didn't get any sleep. I am trying what many here have found useful. It is called Xyrem. I am just waiting for my doc to get back in town. If you'd like do a Xyrem search to see what people have to say about it.

Good Luck!
    Hope
  13. WoodstocksMusic

WoodstocksMusic New Member

Let me weigh in on this one for you.

DITTO

I went through 3 years of 18+ hours of sleep a day and was still tired/sleepy when I was up.

Now that I am on somewhat of a remission and feeling much stronger I tend to have insomnia horribly.

cycles seem to come and go with this DD (Fibromyalgia)

I have been able to sleep again without taking sleeping aids nightly... I made myself get up and out of the house early even if I was just going somewhere and sitting beside a pool or a baseball field with my kids. I have been on this cycle for 3 weeks now and this is same time I have not needed sleep pills.

Sleep Hygiene is a must. Make yourself get up even if you have not had enough sleep and stay up for a couple hours...take an hour nap if you must but get the nap before noon. After noon stay up no matter what! Get to be either at same time as family or even 30 minutes before the rest of the crew so you can have some wind down time laying in bed.

Good luck as you search for the right amount of sleep.
  14. kalley167

kalley167 New Member

I have nights I don't sleep than its like my body shuts down from exhaustion and I want to sleep for hours of course its always when I have to go to work or some place else, so I just live with being tired all the time. I didn't sleep well last night and I feel like crap sitting here at work. I can't concentrate at all. I just want to lay down. And my IBS kicks in when I am so exhausted so that makes life even better.
  15. Marikate

Marikate New Member

I thought I had insomnia because until I retired two years ago I had worked nights for seven years. When I was researching fibro symptoms sleep problems came up so I couldn't blame it on the "night shift". I tried Tylenol PM. but it's too strong---I got up at night and walked into the door!!! Some nights I take children's grape flavored Benadryl and it helps. Eventually I catch up a little by sleeping a day until noon, but it's frustrating when you can't sleep and nothing but infomercials are on TV!!
  16. Diagoras

Diagoras New Member

Ambien seems to help most nights with the insomnia, so I'm getting more. Usually when I oversleep it's for one of two reasons 1- making up for sleep debt 2- I did too much or got overstressed the day before thus making myself sick and in need of much sleep.
  17. tcluna

tcluna New Member

I have this problem. i use xyrem. it only works for about 4 hours then your wake up. it makes me sort of sick, but it gives refreshing sleep which is the key. it stops the alpha wave intrusion most of us have.

18. elsa

elsa New Member

Not really anymore. I never had quite that bad of insomnia like you mentioned, but it was bad enough. My sleep/wake cycle has smoothed out considerably.

After my sleep study, started taking lunesta which has been a hugh help.

I also started using a DHEA with pregnenolone gel after salivia tests showed me to be deficient. DHEA is made from the adrenals and is hand in hand with cortisol. They are all involved in our sleep cycle.

I'm feeling much better these days. Maybe you can talk to your doctor about sleep medications ... a study ... and/or have your hormones checked with salivia testing.
    'Course you may have already , but if not , might be worth a try.

Hope you feel better,

Elsa
  19. Moonshyne

Moonshyne New Member

Ditto here too...

I thought I was goin' crazy til I started to see a pattern.
    The past few months I've been going on 2 to 5 hours of sleep a night, and waking every 2 hours... now I'm feeling a switch to a heavier sleep and have difficulty going to sleep and waking up!! Now that winter is settling in here, I'll probably be heading for the 14 hr a day sleep cycle...

20. sues1

sues1 New Member

I never saw your posting when You originally posted it......
    NOR THE SECOND TIME either! Go figure.....

I do not read it every day.....I do go through spurts....but many times I read quickly and do not post......

You might read the answers I am getting. This is the first time I have seen this subject come up!

I found your posting by looking at your profile and reading what you had posted!

Thanks for your reply............Sues1 or Susan