Does anyone have problems with dry skin

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by LauraLea, Jan 9, 2003.

1. LauraLea

LauraLea New Member

The skin on my hands and feet get so dry that they peel. When I try to pull the skin off it bleeds. This is a problem more in the winter. Keep in mind I like in So Cal so are winters are mild.

Anyone else?
    Laura
  2. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

This can be caused by a number of things, including our medications and how much water we drink. It is also a symptom of hypothyroidism, which many of us have. Even those who test in the "normal" range often improve with the smallest dose of thyroid replacement. Many docs feel the "normal" range is too liberal, especially when it comes to people with FMS/CFS.

I added 25 mcgms. of Synthroid about six months ago and it has helped tremendously. Some need the Armour thyroid if they cannot convert the one type of hormone to the other in the body. My doc treats the patient and not the numbers on the lab reports. I'm lucky. Talk to your doc about this symptom.

Love, Mikie
  3. LauraLea

LauraLea New Member

I never even thought about that. I am seeing my doctor in about a week so I will.
    Laura
  4. laurakay

laurakay New Member

I am glad to hear that it might be helped by thyroid medication. I haven't had mine checked in a long time and am also going to the dr. next week. Laura, I have painful, peeling skin on my hands, too. It cracks and bleeds. I have used steroid cream, but I can only use that for some many days I'm told. Then it comes right back. It itches and looks and feels horrible. Let me know if your doc comes up with anything that works!

Laurakay
  5. VickyB

VickyB New Member

Do you use any of the good fat oils in your diet? I use flaxseed oil instead of vegetable oil in a recipe. I use it a couple of times a day and it is great for dry skin. If you are on a low fat diet, this could be your problem.
    Sincerely, Sleeper01
  6. layinglow

layinglow New Member

Bag Balm found at veterinary supply and livestock feed stores, is wonderful for easing this. Mine is a winter occurance too.
    Bag Balm is usually found in tins, and is used on cow udders that are chapped from moisture, handling, and inclement weather. It is a wonderful product, very high in lanolin.
    LL
  7. CoasttoCoast

CoasttoCoast New Member

Laura,

I, too, have dry skin all over. But, there are a few areas where the patches are extremely dry. I use Loreal, alph-hydrox, facial cleanser on those parts of my body. Then I follow up with Cortaid w/ mositureizer.

I live in the upper midwest now but even had the problem in Seattle.

Diana
  8. Sunshyne1027

Sunshyne1027 New Member

Yes I too have severe dry skin on my feet. I usesd to only get it in the winter time, but now I get it all the time. I never thought about the thyroid probs causing this. That was a interesting read for sure. I will too look more into it. I have been tested for thyroid probs in the past numerous times, always comes back in the normal range too.