Does anyone have recipes which uses rice flour?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by phoebe1, Nov 30, 2005.

1. phoebe1

phoebe1 New Member

I'm intolerant to wheat and gluten and recently bought myself some rice flour, they give a recipe for bread on the packet which I tried and also said that you can substitute the rice flour in any other recipe 1:1 with normal flour, this doesn't work, any nice recipes will be appreciated (it's a self-raising self-binding rice flour).

Phoebe
  2. elliespad

elliespad Member

Don't use any recipes with rice flour. But, I do use a LOT of the RICE noodles used in Thai cooking, eg. Pad Thai, these can be used with lots of stir fry type dishes.
  3. bunnyfluff

bunnyfluff Member

The best recipe book I bought is "The Gluten Free Kitchen" by Roben Ryberg. All of her recipes use low cost potato & corn starch, and the corn bread is the best I have ever eaten. The recipe's are easy, inexpensive, and really good, too.

Also, try Tinkyada brown rice pastas- they are as good as the real thing. Honest. To make a great gluten free graham cracker crust use Health Valley Rice Bran Crackers and crush them fine in a food processor. Add 1/4 cup sugar and 6 tablespoon melted butter. Mix thoroughly and press into a 9" deep dish buttered pie pan (I use glass). Bake in a 350 deg oven for 4 mins. If you want an Oreo-type crust, add 1/4 cup Hershey's Cocoa Powder (like for baking) to the dry mix before you add the butter. Chill the crust before you add your filling.

I have lots more......You can do a GF gingersnap crust, a coconut macaroon crust. Plus there is a great flourless chocolate cake recipe from Bon Appetite I have used for years. With the GF graham craker crust you can do a wonderful cheesecake, and some great "cold" pies like mousse pies. etc. My family doesn't miss the other stuff one bit!!
  4. pepper

pepper New Member

in the last couple of months. My sister, who has followed the Celiac diet for 10+yrs, told me to use Gluten Free Flour or Celiac Flour instead of Rice Flour. They are a mixture of gluten free flours.

Rice flour can make things very dry and crumbly (depending on the recipe) unless you add lots of fat.

Just thought I would share since I have never used rice flour on its own.

Pepper

5. phoebe1

phoebe1 New Member

I'm going to print them out and try this weekend, only problem is that most of the names I don't recognize because it's not available in my country like Graham's crackers? Never heard of them :)
    The rice flour do make things very dry, I've been wondering if I should use less?
    I've never seen gluten free flour but I'll look for it.
    Is the Gluten Free Kitchen cook book also from the US? Because chances are then that I won't recognize half of the ingredients, I read the holiday recipes thread on the board and it was greek to me LOL!

We don't measure in oz. and pounds but in ml, kg and g, and we don't bake at F but at Celsius, having said that does anyone know how many degrees celsius is 350F?

Phoebe
  6. Jeanne-in-Canada

Jeanne-in-Canada New Member

7. bunnyfluff

bunnyfluff Member

if you go to celiac.com they have a link to the gluten free mall. You can buy the brands/ingredients/books you need online. You can get a farenheit/celcius conversion chart online as well.

Best of luck!!
  8. pamj

pamj New Member

I have a book that is from England, so it actually has the measurements you are looking for, and lists all recipes with temperature in F or C.

It's called "The AiA Gluten & Dairy Free Cookbook". If you do a search, you will see it listed in several places. If you are able to purchase from Amazon, I also saw it on their UK site. I'm not familiar enough with your country to know where you usually purchase from.

It's a great book, and lists recipes for EVERYTHING! It has over 400 recipes, so it would definitely be worth it for you to purchase. Since it's dairy free also, I'm sure you could substitute regular dairy products if you prefer to have dairy in your diet. It usually suggests dairy-free margarine, and milk substitutes for the recipes, but I use butter in my food. I do like cooking with rice milk though. The food comes out "lighter".

Let me know if you need any other info.

take care,
    Pam

p.s. Your photo is beautiful!!
  9. bunnyfluff

bunnyfluff Member

I am LOL because I just realized you have never eaten a pie with graham cracker crust!! Wow, have you missed out on a good thing! You will be able to dazzle you friends with that recipe!! I have lots of fillings ideas!
  10. phoebe1

phoebe1 New Member

Thanks for replying, I'm going to check out that book and Voiceteacher thanks for the conversion!
    Bunnyfluff, in my country a "pie" is a thing with chicken or beef inside, the sweet stuff is called a tart :)
    I also don't know what Hershey's is, and that other name in the first post about Health Valley crackers or something huh?

I bet though if I give you a recipe you also won't know half the stuff! :)

Phoebe
    [This Message was Edited on 12/09/2005]