does anyone have ringing in the ears

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by sixtyslady, Aug 19, 2006.

1. sixtyslady

sixtyslady Member

I"ve had this on and off for years and been to many Dr,s
    has anyone else had it, and maybe found something that helps.

some where I thought I saw that lipoflavanoids helps this has anyone heard this?
    sometimes I think its from muscles in my neck then other times I think its pollen. but never really can pin point what causes it. any thoughts on this . sixtyslady
  2. sixtyslady

sixtyslady Member

thanks I "ve had it for along time ,but sometimes it worse and just really gets to me.
    I notice your birthday is the same day as mine, how about that and we"re both from the mid west. I'm from Il.
    have a good Day, sixtyslady
  3. JewelRA

JewelRA New Member

And it's been really bad lately. It could be so many of my meds and conditions - I've stopped trying to figure it out. It is annoying, but I try to just ignore it.
  4. sixtyslady

sixtyslady Member

I know I try to ignore it I guess it depends what pitch it is.they can send a man to the moon but they can"t help people with ringing in the ears and fibro,or cf.
    makes ya wonder doesn"t it.
    sixtyslady
  5. SusanEU

SusanEU New Member

Yes, I have it pretty much all the time. I think it is partly due to the TMJ.

Sometimes it is worse than others and I keep the fan on at night so that it muffles it when I am sleeping (well...with what little sleep I get).

Did you notce that you, Mayline and I all have the same birthday - Dec 20?

Good Luck
    Sue in Ontario
  6. sixtyslady

sixtyslady Member

small world that we all have the same birthdays, mayline my yr is 1944.
    Susan your grandson is a cutie.I"ve always wanted to see canada.
    anyhow all good people our born in Dec don Ya think?
    sixtyslady
  7. Line

Line New Member

I have had this for over 25 years, I had a ear infection and started with it. Recently my hearing loss became more pronounced and I had to get an aid. The Dr. told me that ringing in the ear, Tintitis,is due to hearing loss. I always blamed it on FM and TMJ. Even though my hearing is poor I can still hear those noises.

Hugs, Linda

8. SusanEU

SusanEU New Member

My ears have been worse for the last few days and I guess it is from the weather changing and the air pressure. It's also worse when I'm and stressed and clenching my jaw a lot.

Sixtyslady, thanks for the compliment on my Nicholas, he is the only man in my life and he has kept me going through the rough times.

I have always liked having my b-day at Christmas time when everyone is in a happy mood.

Hugs, Sue
  9. katmouse

katmouse New Member

i have had ringing seems like forever - of course they can never tell me why - thought it was just the way i am and have given up talking to dr's about it
  10. dleaning

dleaning New Member

and it is frustrating because it's the only ear I can hear out of (am totally deaf in left ear). No one seems to know why either!!

Dawn
  11. wildflowers2

wildflowers2 New Member

Hello to ALL!

Hope this helps.. I have had it for over 20 yrs.
    Ringing in the ears is called tinnitus

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Original Article:http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/tinnitus/DS00365
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tinnitus
    Introduction
    Ringing. Buzzing. Roaring. Whooshing. Chirping. Beating. Humming. While you may enjoy these sounds in nature, they're no fun when they're coming from inside your own head.

Head noise, or ringing in your ears (tinnitus), is common. Millions of people have some degree of tinnitus. For some of them, the ringing in their ears is distressing enough for them to seek medical help. But, tinnitus isn't a disease. It's a symptom that can be caused by a number of medical conditions. Tinnitus may be the result of age-related hearing loss or ear injury, or it may be an indication of a disease of your circulatory system.

Most people find that by taking steps to reduce or mask the noise or by treating its underlying causes, their symptoms improve over time. And although the noise of tinnitus may be annoying, the condition rarely is a warning of a serious problem.

Signs and symptoms
    Tinnitus involves the annoying sensation of hearing sounds in your ear when no external sound is present. Signs and symptoms may include:

Noise in your ear, such as ringing, buzzing, roaring, whistling or hissing
    Hearing loss
    The noise may vary in pitch from a low roar to a high squeal, and you may hear it in one or both of your ears. In some cases, the sound can be so loud it interferes with your ability to concentrate or hear properly.

Earwax buildup may worsen tinnitus. Excess wax in your ear canal can reduce your ability to hear outside noises and amplify internal noises.

Causes

CLICK TO ENLARGE
    Tinnitus

Inside your inner ear, thousands of auditory cells maintain an electrical charge. Microscopic hairs form a fringe on the surface of each auditory cell. When they're healthy, these hairs move in relation to the pressure of sound waves. The movement triggers the cell to discharge electricity through the auditory nerve. Your brain interprets these signals as sound.

If the delicate hairs inside your inner ear are bent or broken, they move randomly in a constant state of irritation. Unable to hold their charge, the auditory cells "leak" random electrical impulses to your brain as noise.

Damage to auditory cells in your inner ear most commonly results from:

Age-related hearing loss (presbycusis). This process usually begins around age 60.
    Noise-related damage to your inner ear. This erosion of your hearing ability may result from excessive exposure to loud noise over a long period of time. Tractors, chain saws and weapons are common sources of noise-related hearing loss. Portable music devices, such as MP3 players or iPods, may become a common source of noise-related hearing loss in the future if people play these devices loudly for long periods.
    Other causes of tinnitus may include:

Long-term use of certain medications. Aspirin used in large doses and certain types of antibiotics can affect inner ear cells. Often the unwanted noise disappears when you stop using these drugs.
    Changes in ear bones. Stiffening of the bones in your middle ear (otosclerosis) may affect your hearing.
    Injury. Trauma to your head or neck can damage your inner ear.
    Certain disorders of your blood vessels can cause a type of tinnitus called pulsatile tinnitus. These may include:

Atherosclerosis. With age and buildup of cholesterol and other fatty deposits, major blood vessels close to your middle and inner ear lose some of their elasticity — the ability to flex or expand slightly with each heartbeat. That causes blood flow to become more forceful and sometimes more turbulent, making it easier for your ear to detect the beats.
    High blood pressure. Hypertension and factors that increase blood pressure, such as stress, alcohol and caffeine, can make the sound more noticeable. Repositioning your head usually causes the sound to disappear.
    Turbulent blood flow. Narrowing or kinking in a carotid artery or jugular vein can cause turbulent blood flow and head noise.
    Malformation of capillaries. A condition called A-V malformation, which occurs in the connections between arteries and veins, can result in head noise.
    Head and neck tumors. Tinnitus may be a symptom of a tumor in your head or neck.
    When to seek medical advice
    Most cases of tinnitus aren't harmful. However, if tinnitus persists or gets worse or you also experience hearing loss or dizziness, see your doctor.

Your doctor may be able to suggest treatments that might reduce the noise and techniques to help you better cope with the noise. If age-related hearing loss isn't a possible cause, tinnitus and hearing loss occurring at the same time in one ear may be due to nerve damage in your inner ear from an injury and should be evaluated by your doctor.

Screening and diagnosis
    You and your doctor can discuss your signs and symptoms, when they started, their severity and what can make them worse. Also helpful to your doctor is information about your other health conditions, such as high blood pressure and whether you're taking any medications.

Your doctor will also examine your ears to see if an accumulation of earwax may be causing or contributing to the ringing in your ears. In addition, your doctor will attempt to hear noise with a stethoscope over the area of your head and neck around the ear. If damage to your inner ear is the cause of your tinnitus, you may have subjective tinnitus, meaning that only you can hear it. But if your doctor can hear noise from a vascular disorder, you have objective or pulsatile tinnitus.

Treatment
    Treatment of tinnitus depends on the cause.

If the ringing in your ears is due to age-related hearing loss or damage to your ears by exposure to excessive noise, no treatment can reduce the noise. Treatment consists mostly of managing the problem. Your doctor can discuss with you steps you can take every day to reduce the severity of the noise or to better cope with the noise.

If the ringing in your ears is due to another health condition, your doctor may be able to take steps that could reduce the noise, such as removing impacted earwax. Tinnitus resulting from a vascular condition often can be corrected by fixing the underlying problem. If a medication you're taking appears to be the cause of tinnitus, your doctor may recommend discontinuing the drug or switching to a different medication.

Varying success for medications
    Many medications have been tried to relieve tinnitus with varying degrees of success. Tricyclic antidepressants, such as amitriptyline and nortriptyline, have been used with some success, but these medications have troublesome side effects, such as dry mouth, blurred vision and constipation.

Two recent clinical trials found that the migraine medications gabapentin (Neurontin) and acamprosate (Campral), a drug used to treat alcoholism, are effective in relieving tinnitus for some people.

Treatments with limited results
    Some other treatments that have been tried, but which have had inconsistent results, are:

Acupuncture
    Hypnosis
    The herb ginkgo
    Cochlear implant, an electronic hearing device
    Electrical stimulation
    Medications, such as benzodiazepines (nervous system depressants) and baclofen (a muscle relaxant)
    Hyperbaric oxygen chamber, a therapy to get a high level of oxygen in your blood
    Zinc
    Coping skills
    Sometimes symptoms of tinnitus improve with time. Improvement isn't the result of physical changes, because any damage that has occurred to your ears is permanent and irreversible. Instead, many people learn to make adjustments to lessen the symptoms.

Try these techniques for reducing the severity of the noise and increasing your tolerance to it:

Avoid possible irritants. Tinnitus may be aggravated by loud noises, nicotine, caffeine, tonic water, which contains quinine (the same substance as the medication used to treat malaria), alcohol and excessive doses of aspirin. Nicotine and caffeine constrict your blood vessels, increasing the speed of blood flow through your veins and arteries. Alcohol increases the force of your blood by dilating your blood vessels, causing greater blood flow, especially in the inner ear area.
    Cover up the noise. In a quiet setting, a fan, soft music or low-volume radio static may help mask the noise from tinnitus. For some people, tinnitus maskers — devices similar in appearance to hearing aids that produce a pleasant noise — may help.
    Wear a hearing aid. If tinnitus is accompanied by hearing loss, hearing aids can amplify outside sounds, possibly making the tinnitus noise less obvious.
    Manage stress. Stress can make tinnitus worse. Stress management, whether through relaxation therapy, biofeedback or exercise, may provide some relief.

12. MelPhleg

MelPhleg New Member

yep, das me.
    as far back as i can remember, ive had problems with ear ringing.
    however, i was also born with earwax that dosnt flow. its always hard and only becomes soft if i put oil in my ears for days at a time. but most likely it was a problem incognito. the doc said my placenta was old.

but it seems to have gotten worse since i had additional symptoms of fibro since last year. when it comes on a sudden, loud and hi-pitched (rather than the constant ring/rushing sound when everything is silent) i find it helps to stop it by cupping my hand and "boxing" the ear troubling me.

the weird thing is, ive always had sensitive hearing; even heard a motion dector (it may have been a bad model or malfuctioning or something; but it was painful). i knew it was this device cuz it happened in the same building at the same point in the building. tested by moving myself around the position of device.

ive had normal BP, till only a few years ago. lower # was 100.
  13. Adl123

Adl123 New Member

Yes, I do.

I don't have ringing all the time. It seems to come on when my sinuses are inflamed, and when I eat something salty. It is also bad when my head and neck muscxles are really tense.

I use a Neti pot, and take Bioenergetic's "Allergy Drops". this usually clears it up, for a while.

(These allergy drops must either be bought from a holistic doctor, or from the company).

Hope this helps.
    Hugs,
    Terry
  14. MsE

MsE New Member

My ears ring constantly, especially the left one.