Does anyone have severe leg pain?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by NanNan, Aug 3, 2006.

1. NanNan

NanNan New Member

One of my biggest problems is pain in my legs and hip. Everytime it looks like rain, I ach and can barely walk.
    Today, I'm a train wreck. I'm hobbling around like I'm
    99! Does anyone have a suggestion on how to relieve this?
    I've sworn off the pain meds. They just leave me feeling
    doped and sleepy.
    NanNan
  2. raslin25

raslin25 New Member

tried magnesium? my pcp put me on it because im so low and ive heard people say that it helps with muscle cramps for people with FM, it helps some but it wont take it all away. i still take all my pain meds though along with it, so i dont know what it would do alone, but you could try?
    good luck!

Rachel
  3. bre_ann

bre_ann New Member

I will get sharp pains that run through them and sometimes dull aches that run down through my legs, knees. I use a heating pad when it gets bad or a hot bath. I tried Tylenol arthritis the other day when I had it but it didn't really help. My pains usually last all day but by the next day, it's gone. I don't know what makes it happen or really what makes it go away. Very painful though.
  4. blessedmom2four

blessedmom2four New Member

and hand, it is only my left side, i feel like i need crutches i cant even put pressure on my left leg.. today its the worse it has ever been

and is affecting my back from walking weird.

i ttok a bath it only helped for a min.
  5. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

Is why Ic ame to this board in the first place. I have been free of much of it for a while yet this humidity has brought it right back. Last night I could not sleep due to the pains. I think it is because I have not been able to walk daily with the heat, perhaps.

I am hoping it will subside again. My hand s are also pretty bad at present too-the neck is a given(LOL)

Like others, the cfs part of this has pain hopping all over and this past couple of days the legs were the preferred site!

Love Anne Cromwell
  6. sula

sula New Member

In my studies about FM and the pain....I ran across this bit of info. Malic Acid which comes from sour apples combined w/Slo-Mag..Magnesium Chloride. I've tried it and would not be w/out it. These two are very affordable and can be purchased anywhere. It takes a while to kick in but it has worked very well for my pain...leg, hips, back, etc. The malic acid is a cell regenerator and the "SLO-MAG" is a different kind of magnesium........It certainly won't hurt you.

Take about 1200 mg of the Malic acid a day and then 1 Slo-Mag w/it. I think I started out taking this dosage twice daily and now, I take it when I think about it. When the pain kicks in, I run for my malic acid and slo-mag......Hope it works for some of you!!!!! And ...walking helps also.....
    [This Message was Edited on 08/04/2006]
  7. Greenbean7

Greenbean7 New Member

I have horrible pain in my hips and down my left leg. It can be unrelenting and keeps me awake. Makes sleep impossible.

I now do trigger point release with a tennis ball (just don't let the dogs see me, they want the ball!). It helps a lot. Hurts terribly when I do it, like large needles are being stuck into me, but it does work and I make myself do it.

MFP is one of my issues and I think it is the cause of most of my pain.

Hugzz
    Greenbean
  8. CockatooMom

CockatooMom New Member

My legs have always been the worst when it comes to pain. I had a little arthritis at 21, but doc told me no big deal.

Right before I was diagnosed with FM, an ortho doc told me I had arthritis in both knees (after xray) and bursitis in both hips. SO I asked him why my feet and ankles hurt so much too? As I was NOT overweight at the time.

My left hip locks up on me after I sit a while. You should see me trying to walk after that! LOL I hobble like I'm 99 also!

I have bad pain in my feet daily too. Someone said after sitting a while, when they get up, their feet hurt so terrible trying to walk....that's ME TOO!

I have a torn meniscus in my left knee, but that is unoperable. (Along with the herniated disc in my back.)

I'm on vicoden right now for pain. I took my first one yesterday then went to the gym to work out. Didn't seem to affect me too badly.

I'm getting ready to take one now cause I can't stand it anymore. I over did it today.

I hope you find something that works for you!

9. Santafemimi

Santafemimi New Member

NanNan,

I am so glad I found your post, the pain in my legs and feet is unbearable at times. I have just started taking magnesium, and I take ultram and advil for the pain. Most of the time the ultram ande advil work, but we just had a week of extremely hot weather (high 90's), and humidity, and this has been an extremely bad flare for me.

You need to find a pain med that won't make you feel dopey or sleepy. Another suggestion is hot water therapy, I had aquatic therapy last winter for 4 weeks, the temperature of the water was 104 degrees and my legs and feet felt the best that they have ever felt.

Hot tubs work wonders also. Good luck with relieving the pain.

Mimi
  10. JLH

JLH New Member

I don't know if the others realize that you are new or not!!!!

But welcome, and I am glad that you found us!!!!!!!!!!

I can also relate to the severe leg pain.

In fact, I am almost homebound due to the extreme bone pain in my hips and legs, and the pinched nerve in my low back.

I have severe arthritis in my hips and legs, two bad knees, and a bad foot which I broke last year. I recently had surgery on my right knee and I am scheduled for surgery on the left knee on 8/17/06. Hopefully, next year I will be getting total knee replacements in both knees.

I need to lose weight before I get the total knee replacements. I know my current weight also affects my hip and leg pain now. But it would greatly hinder the rehab for total knee replacements--the rehab would be impossible due to the pain.

My pain is so bad that I can not stand up more than 5 minutes nor walk very far. I must use a cane around the house and a wheelchair if I could out somewhere to shop, etc. I use the motor carts in WalMart to do my shopping there.

My only relief is extremely hot showers (sitting on a bath chair), heating pads, and staying in my LazyBoy recliner with my feet propped up!

Also, make sure you get enough potassium--like eating a banana every day!

Hugs,
    Janet H.
  11. carebelle

carebelle New Member

I do Epsom salts baths and they really help my leg pain. Put that in the search and it should pull up the recipe for Epsom salts and peroxide baths.
    I hope this helps you.
  12. sandyblue

sandyblue New Member

Thank God that he directed me to this site. I have been suffering for years with leg pain that is so bad I can't walk at times and every time I tell a Doctor about it they look at me as if I am a hypochondriac or am just plain nuts. I wish I were a hypochondriac, if it was that simple I could look forward to the possibilty of curing myself and that is what I usually say to those "doubting Thomas's" that call themselves "Doctors", I call them "Quacks".
    I wish i could tell you something help full but with my heart problems it is hard to find something that I can take that wont clot my blood, make my arteries smaller or something else. I tried Ultram that a Doc suggested and ended up having seizures because the Quack didnt bother to look into my file and see that I had a history of seizures. Whatever they chose for you, look it up on the net or with your pharmacist. It will save you alot of trouble.
    Take care and God bless.
  13. rachel432

rachel432 New Member

i get alot of pain in my hips. although i haven't sworn off pain meds, i have found certain types of movement helps. i do alot ofstetching in that area and also pilates because it is a very gentle type of exercise. the movement seems to help that stiff pain feeling.
    rachel
  14. azcactuslil

azcactuslil New Member

I know that feeling. Maybe trigger point injections would help you and/or muscle relaxers. Maybe you could talk to your doctor again about another type of pain medication. Also requip is prescribed for relestless leg syndrome which may help.

Good luck.
    Carrie
  15. rosemarie

rosemarie Member

My legs ache alt too. I wil get a sharp pain that goes from my butt across my thigh and shooting down my leg. and it about sneds me to the nut house as I can't bare this pain much longer.

I walk silmalr to you like i am in my 90's , My thighs, hops and legs all ache some time's so deeply that itis not in the muscle but the bone.

Your not alone in this and I wish I could say more. .I am sorry that your pain meds don't work for you. I am on some strong narcoitc pain pills and they help alot with the pain.

I am finding out that my pain meds don't work as well when I have over done it. So I have to add some advil to the mix and it will help me and let the other meds work also.

Ssssi=ome times rest will help the pain but it is a personal thing I do believe.

SOrry your not feeling good.
    HUGS TO YOU,
    Rosemarie
  16. rhat

rhat New Member

It appears lots of us have it...and not many of us have a good solution. I can chime in and agree with most of the messages. My leg/ foot pain increases with walking/ standing. I suspect it has to do with poor returen circulation, blood pooling in lower extremities. I have a coagulation defect/ "sticky blood". Something I haven't tried lately, it's been too hot, but it used to work, was support stockings. Knee high works, thigh high is better. Those are the stockings they put on you when having some surgeries, ugly white with a hole for toes to be observed...you know the ones?

Also, I find the Epsom Salt bath as previously mentioned works well too.
    Diane in MI
  17. PITATOO

PITATOO Member

I am assuming by your name you are female but who knows. I am a 42 yo male with advanced osteoporosis which really makes my hips ache and my right leg. I also have FMS, CFIDS and MS so who knows. But osteoporosis can hit any age or gender. Take it from me. Have it checked out if you have not already - Hot baths help if you can get in and out of the tub easily. Tough for me sometimes. Massage. I workout 3-4 days a week and had to cut out the treadmill and all cardio involving my legs basically. I just have shortened the rest periods between sets to keep my heart rate up and it is working and my hip is 90% better. Also on a NSAID and Ultram. Both help. I thought I would die a couple of months ago. Pain would never stop. I could not even stand in one place for more than a few minutes, dishes were hard to do etc.. I live alone, well not really I care for my Dad who has alzheimers so it got really tough. Anyways check out the osteoporosis, or even could be osteoarthritits - Bobby
  18. claudia777

claudia777 New Member

I have the same problem as you but my pain travels around my body, some times in shoulders and around my lower rib cage. I cannot take pain meds at all so I have tried to stop my pain with alternatives. If you are not allegic to sulfates what almost completely got rid of my pain was Glucosamine with MSM. It is not immediate relief but if you will continue with it in about a month or less your pain begins to ease up. I take Schiff High Potency that is 1500 mg of each. You take two tablets a day to get that potency. I was taking less before and it did not do the trick, then I heard on a medical program that the reason that it does not seem to take a good affect on people is that they are not taking enough, so I went to the higher potency and it is working very well. I also use a messager on the area. Now if someone could come up with the solution for fatigue that would be wonderful!
    [This Message was Edited on 08/09/2006]
    [This Message was Edited on 08/09/2006]